JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just a quick question for you guys. Is it worth scoping an SKS? I've heard if scoped, that in can become un-zeroed at the drop of a hat. is this true? and if not, does it take a good amount of work/money to get it scope ready?
thanks for the help guys

The receiver-cover scope mounts dont hold zero very well, and in any case you have to remove the cover in order to clean the gun after shooting it.

Great great gun so don't get me wrong!!
Cause I love em!!
She's meant to shoot cheap ammo at hight quantity moderately accurately.
She's never gunna print a group worth taking a picture of! Use her like she's meant and it'll be the best fun. 100-200 yds open sights and a quick follow up shot if u miss. Scopes just complicate things.
Sks
simply kills stuff......
No scope needed buy ammo instead

Cause I love em!!
She's never gunna print a group worth taking a picture of! Use her like she's meant and it'll be the best fun. 100-200 yds open sights and a quick follow up shot if u miss. Scopes just complicate things.
Sks
simply kills stuff......

agreed, I love my SKS and have thought of all kinds of mods over the years but have yet to do anything but take it out and have fun shooting it like it should be shot

What you might consider is adding an aperture (peep) sight to your SKS. I haven't had the chance to do it yet but I plan on trying one. It, too, is mounted on the receiver cover but it will give a longer sight radius which should be easier to use for tired old eyes like mine.
www.Tech-SIGHTS.com

100% agreement.
Leave them as they are.
I love mine. CCCP made in 1953.

Cause I love em!!
Sks
simply kills stuff......

the only sk scope mnt that i found that works is the choat side mnt,then the trouble starts, or should i say the expence--choat mnt-no matter where i look on the net, figure 40 bucks, and its not at your door yet-this is a side mnt that has to be d/taped,also the edge of the stock has to be modified for this to fit right, apprx 40.00 bucks at the machine shop-now this gun can be broke down ,and scope will stay close to zero-now you have a question on what scope to buy,and so on. these guns were designed to shoot 75 to 125 yds. at a 5 in group,unless you bench it ,you might get it down to a 3 in group,most of the time that we know some of these things is cuz we already did it.i played with it for a year,and never could compete w/my son on sage rat shooting,cuz i'm spending to much time looking through a scope-i call it my leaver rite now-as leave it alone and enjoy,nuff,steven

Lots of good advice here, and I agree - The SKS is just fine without a scope. I was just disappointed when I tried one......... no matter how I tried or what ammo I used, I only got 3-4 inch 100 yd groups. I don't think they are made for pinpoint accuracy. If you want a truly accurate 7.62x39, try an AR! I tried one of those and was very impressed. It was almost as good with open sights as the SKS was with a scope and with a scope should be great!

smonk> ok! i'll agree, but then stop and look at the price of one of your cheapest a-r's. even at tough times you can't get one under 700,and if you look around you can buy 3 sks',for that kinda money,and turn around and use um for a canoe paddle and dump another 1000 rnds threw it.turn it around,and sell it for 200,unlike the older military rifles that were designed to kill!! the newer designs were designed to work in a six inch group at 100yrds w/ fmj to just wound a person.then if you step up a notch you will find the sniper series,still using the 7.62x39 rnd ,but as they say -a tack driver at 200 yrds.i have a montie carlo stock on mine w/less wgt,and a 13-14" triger pull,this thing is awesome at 100 yrds on squash,pumpkins,and froozen water bottles,and god bless the sage rats,steven

Last week I put a Choate mount on my Norinco. I couldn't put my compact scope on the mount because the distance between the slots was too great, so I put a 3-12x40 AO scope on it that was laying around. I fabricated a case deflector out of some thin clear polycarb I had and I took it to the range on Sunday and fired at 50 yards. I was able to shoot consistent 2.5 inch groups using wolf mil classic, and this was the best this rifle ever did. I'd get a very tight group of about 3 with 2 flyers in the windage direction. It was raining and there was some wind but not enough to explain this deviation. I then shot some Norico cartridges and found 5 shot groups closing to just a little over an inch, far better than I'd ever imagined this rifle shooting.

So, I'm glad I put that mount and scope on it, and now I can't wait to try out other ammo looking for the best shot out of it. I suspect I can make this a 2.5 moa rifle with the right cartridges.

I looked online for advice about the best cartridges for accuracy, anyone got any ideas? I really like the idea of his old beast shooting this well.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top