Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Scope Mounting Rails--most common type?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by curling leaf, Jun 15, 2012.

1. curling leaf

curling leaf Jacksonville, OR Member

Which is the most common type? Weaver? 3/8ths Grooved?

2. Triplebuckshot

Triplebuckshot Northwest Oregon Member

Picatinny.

3. curling leaf

curling leaf Jacksonville, OR Member

Picatinny? I thought those were only on "tactical" type rifles. You're saying that the picatinny is the most common type of rail for scope-mount?

4. rick

rick Close to Corvallis, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Weaver for bigger rifles, 3/8 dovetail mostly on rimfires, and Picatinny for the blacktical tactical stuff

redneck_assault_rifle.jpg

5. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Hunting rifles use a few different type.Weaver ,Ruger's own and the Leupold type.
    I bought a nice picantiny rail for my M70 Winchester.A 1 piece rail that spanned the ejection port.Just seemed like the strongest way to go with the best adjustments.
    22 have a lot of dovetails like your 22 lever gun and you can get weaver adapters for them.
    Ruger sends a weaver rail out with some of there 22s or you can find the picantiny rails that bolt on top.

I believe that the weaver is the most popular though,with the picantiny (basically a weaver with milspec spacing on the grooves) coming in second recently.

6. Triplebuckshot

Triplebuckshot Northwest Oregon Member

Badger Ordnance makes a fantastic picatiny rail. Also the nice thing about having a GOOD rail is you get a good optic mount that will return to zero...this means you can take your optic off for transport or cleaning or storage or whatever. You can get them in 0 moa, 20 moa and even like 30 moa depending on how far you are wanting to shoot and how much adjustment your optic has.

It is not a "tacticool" type thing...it is a practical thing.