JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'll be honest, I don't know much about scopes, mounts, rings, etc. I want to make sure my scope is mounted properly before the Appleseed class this weekend. Right now I have a Simmons 3x9-32mm, Leupold medium height rings, and the OEM weaver base. It seems alright mounted how it is with the turrets centered between the scope rings, but I've heard you should try to get the back of the scope as close to the back of the trigger guard as possible for proper eye relief. Any thoughts?

IMG_5064.JPG

On the highest power if you put the gun up to your shoulder with your head in your natural shooting position, you want a full view in the scope. If it is not quite there move scope back until you have it. Sometimes you will not have enough travel to quite get there but get it as close as possible. On lower powers it will be fine.

Some scopes have more or less eye relief than others. What works with your combination may or may not work so great with other combinations. Make sure the site base rail screws are as long as possible without scrapping against the bolt. Blue Loctite.

For precision work, consider hand reaming the high quality scope rings to let the scope shoot down the pipe both side to side and top to bottom with the reticle adjustments as close to exactly centered as possible. This is for fun long range windy shooting.

We took the chance and had a local good gunsmith drill and tap some extra holes in the receiver top to more securely attach the heavier scopes. That and high grade rings and you should be good to go. That is a sweet looking 10-22. Have fun. Addictive! :)

Luckily with a 10/22 you can go with a super close-up eye relief to accommodate some smaller, less expensive/versatile scopes. A 30-06 set up the same way might leave a mark in your eyebrow. Don't ask me how I know.

Last Edited:
On stuff that kicks I like to bring the scope forward a touch more so I have to bring my head forward a bit with the scope on high power to get full view in scope. It only took me two times to learn this. Second time was with a lightweight 300 WSM which damn near knocked me out and then I thought I might bleed out. Oh the scars of wisdom o_O.

Excellent topic everybody and thanks. Be sure to make sure the barrel has no play against the receiver. Upgraded precision barrel mounting 10-22 stuff available. Also make sure the stock lets the barrel float and do not bump the barrel. It makes "squeaks" shots at 300 yards impossible! :)

Edit: A "Squeek" is a Western Sage Rat. They make squeeky sounds.

Last Edited:
skipping the question for a moment, be sure you have a sling set up that will give a comfortable fit for you & the 10/22. I was faced with an unexpected need for sling, and the short one available for loan put too much bind on me & the separate ends of my Ruger take-down model. Led to inadequate and variable results on target.

One of my 10/22 I mounted the Picatinny rail set up for a wide range of scope/red dot uses. One has the old Leopold rings on Nikon compact 3x32 scope. And one has an old 6x18 target scope on IIRC Ruger rings.

I prefer the Picatinny.

OK class, how much time and money have we spent on our trusty neat cool Ruger 10-22 rifles? It can become all by itself a very addictive hobby. We fitted the top receiver long rail as closely to center as possible. Used an old zeroed scope as a guide. Remember it is OK to shim stuff before tightening those top rail bolts. Our receiver has 5 rail threaded holes.

We did not hone the rings. Instead we used like .002 shim stock under the rail. That and trial and error getting the scope RAIL mounted as closely as possible up and down and side to side without having to adjust the scope knobs. Our problem is that many scopes are used on the suppressed frankenstein choate/butler creek folder Ruger SBR. Took lots of time.

Once aligned as closely as possible it was screwed down using blue loctite. The screws are custom long ones ground down sosss they torque up properly to the aluminum receiver top without touching the bolt. The cheapo but durable russian nite vision scope is very heavy. Getting IT MOUNTED as precisely as possible also took time and dark nights. Nite vision is cool. :)

It is my humble regret and duty to inform all involved here that the nasty early summer nite time garden pests do not stand a chance. Elite Iron Echo 6" .22rf Cans are cool also.

All Oregon State Laws, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

Yep. The next step. We will have to figure out how to drill and tap the various short barrels that get put on the SBR Ruger 10-22. We would prefer, if the nite vision was to be put on only one barrel, that it be the Green Mountain 8" SS bull profile 1x9 twist bentz chamber barrel. That is the barrel that is on the gun right now. Works great with the Aquila SSS 60 grain.

That B-Square mount looks very cool. The SSS 60 grain ammo is spendy at about 12.5 cents a shot. The fun shoot em up Winchester Wildcat ammo is cheap and old but does not like the 1x9 twist barrel. But ... maybe we can afford to do exactly what you have done only dedicate the Yukon for the Green Mountain barrel. One thing about the Ruger is easy barrel changes.

Great picture and thank you. How much did the cool B-Square mount cost?

^^^I've had that 10/22 so long I don't recall when or where I got the mount. Most likely ordered online though.

Drilling and tapping is easy. Just find your marks, drill down a bit and use a bottoming tap.

One caution though; the mount cantelevers over the receiver and midpoint on the mount there is a setscrew that is turned down to rest on the tope of the receiver to keep a small amount of pressure between the mount and receiver....don't use that. Over time mine somehow dimpled the receiver enough to cause the bolt to drag...derp de derp :oops:

On the highest power if you put the gun up to your shoulder with your head in your natural shooting position, you want a full view in the scope. If it is not quite there move scope back until you have it. Sometimes you will not have enough travel to quite get there but get it as close as possible. On lower powers it will be fine.

Nailed it.

It looks like you could go forward or back if you need to. Loosen the scope mounts , not on the receiver, and slide it fwd or back on the highest magnification settings.Set it so you have a comfy cheek rest and full view. I leave a slight tension to square it up to the receiver. Then snug it down. Recheck after 100 rounds or so.

Last Edited:
Excellent topic everybody and thanks. Be sure to make sure the barrel has no play against the receiver. Upgraded precision barrel mounting 10-22 stuff available. Also make sure the stock lets the barrel float and do not bump the barrel. It makes "squeaks" shots at 300 yards impossible! :)

Edit: A "Squeek" is a Western Sage Rat. They make squeeky sounds.

SQUEEK!!! LOL!!!

You aren't using enough gun!

You want a tiny, tiny, tinnnnnnnny, BOOOM!!! :D LOL!!!

^^^I've had that 10/22 so long I don't recall when or where I got the mount. Most likely ordered online though.

Drilling and tapping is easy. Just find your marks, drill down a bit and use a bottoming tap.

One caution though; the mount cantelevers over the receiver and midpoint on the mount there is a setscrew that is turned down to rest on the tope of the receiver to keep a small amount of pressure between the mount and receiver....don't use that. Over time mine somehow dimpled the receiver enough to cause the bolt to drag...derp de derp :oops:

Wow, I can see how that could easily happen! One fix could be to super glue a hard steel piece of shim stock, thick enough for some rigidity, to the top of the receiver, centered under the set screw. You would only need a tiny drop of the glue and I would place it off center, not directly under the set screw. :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top