JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Don't know enough about mounts other than Pic and key mod, so how do I know what to look for to mount a scope on an air rifle?

I have a Gamo that came with a scope, but want better. It has 2 grooves, but it is not the same size, smaller than, the size of the rings that came with the scope I bought as a replacement.:(

Tried an Internet search, but did not help.

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/scoping-an-airgun.81306/#post-559712
I read through this thread and it states air rifle specific scopes, yet I see few on Pyramid Air's site that state air rifle scope.

Anyone wish to help me out?

Thanks

Last Edited:
Most air rifles use 11mm/ 3/8" grooves. As your scope is a Gamo brand, it is a springer, and springers destroy cheap scopes not made for them in very short order, as their recoil impulse is in both directions. Hence the need for a dedicated scope. One way of getting around the springer's destructiveness is to use a 'Dampa' mount - a very slightly resilient mount that absorbs this double recoil impulse. Not sure where you'd find one in the PSW, but this is where the internat is your pal.

tac

Take your gun in a case or gun bag and hit up a bi-mart. Let the guys or gals at the sporting goods counter help you find a set of scope rings if your not going to go with the dampening mount tac listed.

Otherwise, Internet order the scope and save some cash IMO.

Amazon can be a good source of info if you read the good and bad comments on any given scope.

Maybe someone can recommend a brand and model cheaper then my go to which is Leupold for everything.

Most cheap scopes have reticles made of fine wire - it is these fragile components that suffer under the two-way recoil of the average springer. Most quality scopes these days have etched reticles that are not affected by the damaging vibration - so don't invest your $$$ in any frawks from the PRC.

I've seen a BSA scope mounted on an old Relum Tornado reduced to a 'magnifying tube' in three shots.

tac

Olli Damons is THE air rifle ( and rod repair) shop to help ya out with this problem! They have mounts for almost every air rifle out there, and can source very hard to find stuff when it's something they do not have on hand! As far as scopes go, as far as I know, it's more then the etched glass that needs to be addressed with the recoil impulse. These have a much sharper hit and they hit in both directions then a standard rifle. It has to do with how the lens is mounted internally in the tube and the way the adjustment actuators ride in the adjustment ring! Just thinking you have an etched glass reticle isn't good enough!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top