JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Scope- Vortex Viper PST G2 3-15x44
Rifle- Tikka T3 Tactical 223 (temporarily)

Money spent later in mind, my thinking is to put the scope in a Geissele (or other) 20moa scope base for later moving to a different bolt (or AR) gun. I question if this is the correct way of going about it. I'm not against a nice set of matched rings if this is the best way

I think a scope mount versus rings can go either way. I own both and am happy with both. I have rings on my Tikka. What ever you do don't go cheap. good rings or mount can be huge.

What I wouldn't do is move it from one rifle to another. I like to get my rifles dialed in and know they are so the moving around part makes this difficult.

My .02

Nice! I tried buying a scope for my AR-10 that I could switch back and forth. Quickly decided that it wasn't good enough but would be perfect on a AR. I have spent more money on doing things twice. :confused: Post a pic of your tikka when your done. would love to see it. :)

That road of buying and trying got old fast. I did my fair share and have remnants to show for it that are not being used.
This is not "my" Tikka, but I mocked it up just like mine will be. An Atlas BT46NC-LT271 (QD) has already made deposit for residency. Defender caps and a couple mags are needed as well. I'll get there eventually.
Tikka-_T3-_Tactical1.png

Haha, thanks!
Buying mine was easy, it's the "wait" that's almost driving me nuts in anticipation. Mine arrives this Friday, and the scope is in route from EurOptics. The scope I had a hard time passing on, when their prices are such a tease on the one I was wanting. Overkill for a 223, but I'm thinking a year from now where I'll be.

Get a good picatinny base for your tikka, then a set of good rings, I would suggest Warne for both items. A one piece mount is solid, but mostly only good for an AR type rifle as the mounts are generally built for AR's where there is no drop in the stock comb. A one piece AR type mount would look silly on a bolt gun and would probably require you to lift your head off the stock to see through the scope.

The T3 Tac has a low height 1913 rail installed. If needed, I'll get my smith to drill/tap to the next size up, (thanks for the tip) but my plan is to mount the PST Gen2 on this rifle short-term. The Unimount I bought is 1.125" which in reality is more suitable for an AR type install, although my rifle has the adjustable combing. The mount I picked up may not work ideally for a bolt gun. I'll soon find out. If not, it has squatters rights elsewhere. Thanks for your input everyone. I'll stay optomistic.

Not sure if y'all know this or not but when you put the mounts on the rails you need to press them forward as you tighten them down. If you don't your rail can impact the mount during recoil and can cause it to come loose or cause a POI shift. Not saying this was the case but it can happen.

My Tikka Super varmint came set up with a 0° mount installed so all I needed was a really good strong set of rings. It kicks hard enough as it is and with a heavy scope, cheep rings, especially aluminum rings would work loose! I having had any issues with this set up and it clears the oversize bolt handle nicely despite being low mounted. May have to change to a taller set of rings to "See" over the suppressor. LOL:) still a works in progress! Have a new stock on order, and a few steel rail sections on the way!
S
Post up pictures when you get it set up, we really like Tikka Here!:D

With all the talk relative to steel base/rail/steel rings, that's good shared knowledge for mounting on a bigger bore. Great info. Thank you!

I sort of got an impulse urge after ordering this Tikka, and started looking at the chassis available. Boy, is that another direction to venture of in too. Nice stuff out there available that quickly surpassed the price of the rifle. LOL. After looking into all the different manufacturers (prices were beating me down) and what was available, I found myself settling into a price bracket made by Modular Driven Technologies. I settled in even more after seeing the LSS-XL Gen2 Chassis System LSS-XL Gen2 Chassis System. So much so that I have one on the way. Can you say impulse?

The T3 Tac has a low height 1913 rail installed. If needed, I'll get my smith to drill/tap to the next size up, (thanks for the tip) but my plan is to mount the PST Gen2 on this rifle short-term. The Unimount I bought is 1.125" which in reality is more suitable for an AR type install, although my rifle has the adjustable combing. The mount I picked up may not work ideally for a bolt gun. I'll soon find out. If not, it has squatters rights elsewhere. Thanks for your input everyone. I'll stay optomistic.

In my experience, 1.125" is a little high for a bolt action but not that bad. Most of the AR mounts I use are closer to 1.5".

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top