JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im about to button up a build.. Its a remington 700 long range in 300 win mag. 26' heavy barrel, khantrol muzzle break, timney trigger, bipod yada yada yada.. I have a burris XTR2 4-15x50 scope w/34mm tube.. Its sitting on a 20moa rail.. My question is I have two sets of scope rings.. I have some millets that are "high" and some leupolds that are "medium" height.. The millet is 7/16 from top of rail to bottom of tube.. Leupolds are 3/8.. Big difference.. Now if I use the higher millets my scope is gonna be hella high.. Ill have to stuff my cheek rest.. I still have to stuff my cheek rest with the leupolds too but not nearly as much.. What are your thoughts??? I heard the closer u can get it to the bore the better.. Is this true for long range as well..

On hunting rifles I like the scope low so I get a good cheek weld.

On target rifles I like the scope up higher so the ear muffs clear the stock. Also, you may need a 20 moa rail (or rings) to shoot that far with that particular scope.

I don't think you can go with as low as possible without looking at other factors involved.

Im about to button up a build.. Its a remington 700 long range in 300 win mag. 26' heavy barrel, khantrol muzzle break, timney trigger, bipod yada yada yada.. I have a burris XTR2 4-15x50 scope w/34mm tube.. Its sitting on a 20moa rail.. My question is I have two sets of scope rings.. I have some millets that are "high" and some leupolds that are "medium" height.. The millet is 7/16 from top of rail to bottom of tube.. Leupolds are 3/8.. Big difference.. Now if I use the higher millets my scope is gonna be hella high.. Ill have to stuff my cheek rest.. I still have to stuff my cheek rest with the leupolds too but not nearly as much.. What are your thoughts??? I heard the closer u can get it to the bore the better.. Is this true for long range as well..
I shoot long range a lot. For the nay-sayers, I have YouTube videos to prove it. Like a one inch bulls eye at 1,054 yards in a crosswind that required about 10 yards of hold-over and four yards of hold-off. In Fact, in my Avitar picture, it shows the place I made that shot. From the stump my .308 is sitting on, to the distant ridge.
There is no need for the line of sight to be near the axis of bore! If it was a hunting rifle, that would be a different story.
A rifles zero is the intersection of the line of sight and axis of bore (well, almost). In a hunting rifle you want these as close to each other as possible because you never know if you are going to shoot 20 yards or 300+ yards, and it does make a difference.
But in a Long Range rifle, you can use high rings with little impact on outcomes, since environmental factors play such a huge role in shot placement. Also, when shooting long range, there is a lot of math and science involved, and you usually have more time to do the math before you take the shot.
The reason I use high rings on my long distance rifles is because they are more comfortable, they leave room for hearing protection, provide a better cheek weld, make cycling the bolt easier (especially with gloves on - ya don't hit the scope as easy), Insertion of cartridges and finger extraction of brass, yada yada.
My 2-sense.

Last Edited:
Id like to get a price breakdown.
Nice rifle man, where did you come across the slip on cheek pad?
Yes did all the work myself.. The finish is duracoate tactical OD green on the stock and Cerakote (forget the color) high temp (air dry) on the barrel and trigger guard.
The breakdown is al follows.
Remington 700 in 300 win mag $700
Timney trigger (you NEED this) $160
Bolt extender $35
Cheek rest $12 bucks (eBay) and is made very well..
Muzzle brake (Khantrol) $100
Butler caps $18
Wheeler anti-cant bubble $35
Harris bipod $80
Xtreme tactical 20MOA base $70
Leupold Mark 4 steel scope rings (lapped) $130
Burris scope $900.
Now with the scope Im sending it down the road.. The illuminated reticle too a S$#T on me 3 weeks later.. After some research online I saw its happening to other people.. Of course Burris will fix it but now I started questioning the rest of the scope.. So I opted on getting a different scope. The one I originally thought on getting. A SWFA super sniper scope.. After a TON of research on the SWFA SS scope It seems to be not only the best scope for the money (300 to 1400 depending on model, they are ALL good, even the 300 dollar one) but one of the best scopes you can get for long range shooting. The ones with the HD (high density) glass are right up there with schmidt and bender scopes.. The "classic" SS scopes start at 300 for the fixed 10x. These scopes where originally made for the crane division of the navel surface warfare dept.. These are NATO Mil spec scopes. Even the $300 one. Which is actually the one that the navy had made.. Of course they where paying way more for them. I even looked up the military contract numbers and its all accurate info.. The turrets guts are brass and VERY sturdy. The glass is very good and made in Japan. They track PERFECT. 120 MOA of travel, they have been dropped frozen from 10 feet onto concrete and still held zero.. Even after having the nitrogen purged.. STILL held zero.. This is all from Tiborasaurex Rex.. He has a whole video about them and uses them on many of his rifles. They make fixed power and variable power. And one with an illuminated reticle in the HD glass for $1500.. Ill post the link to the story of this scope.. Should have just went with my original decision but instead I listened to some dumb bubblegum who THINKS he knows everything.. These are the real deal and the price is VERY good..

Here is the vid..

If I can make it to a mile with a .308 on a 20 MOA rail, you should be able to make your range no problem. I'd keep the scope as low as possible as long as it's still comfortable to use. If you shoot suppressed, having the scope a bit higher may help with mirage a bit though.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top