JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been a fan of iron sight shooting but have decided to put a scope onto a 10/22 for grins and giggles (and to hopefully shoot a bit more accurately ;)).

I'm also putting together a build list for a .308 that I'd like to use to go out further.

At this point, I am the apex predator of paper and cardboard. The Nikon P5 3-12x42 caught my eye over their rimfire specific 3-9x40 for two reasons:
2 more mm of light gathering at the front optic and a higher max magnification. These two things might be mildly helpful for rimfire shooting but I can see them being more worth it in the future if I move the scope over to the .308.

The question is: would this be too much overkill in the meantime? Would you get the cheaper rimfire scope or get a better optic that you can repurpose down the line?

Choices...choices...

As a rule a 10/22 is only accurate for about 100 yards so I would recommend a inexpensive 3x9 for that rifle and spend decent money on a scope for the 308. Get the scope for the .22 first and then by using that you will have better feel for what you will want on the .308.

Couple of other things to think about. Most rimfire specific scopes have parallax fixed at 50 yards vs. 100. Turrets can also be set up for 50 yards, i.e. 1/4" per click at 50 rather than 100 yards. For these reasons and others, I agree with the above, go with a rimfire scope for the rimfire, and spend the cash for a decent scope for the .308 down the line. Later.

Just one note; bigger isn't always better. In general, we have a tendency to go with higher magnification scopes because it allows us to see the target better and thus more accurate shooting, right? In reality no.

Field of view is every bit as important as bringing the target closer. Consider the actual shooting application and don't over-magnify. Clarity and stability are the primary characteristics to look for in a scope.

I am in the camp of buy once cry once. If you plan on buying a scope for a specific purpose then buy the best one you can afford for that job. You may not know what you're gonna need later on. So buy for the task at hand.

Comparing a scope for .22 vs .308 is not the way to think about choosing an optic. If you are into precision rim-fire, buy the best quality rim-fire optic you can justify based on platform, expectations and budget. You will not be banging gongs at 800yds no matter what scope you choose.

For .308, you say you are planning on building a rifle. You need to define what are you using it for? Choosing an optic for a lightweight rough terrain hunting platform vs a bench rest competition vs a DMR vs a CQB...you get the idea.

If you are going to spend some serious coin in a .308 build, decide what you want it to do, get the rifle and then buy the best optic suited to your use.

There are a million videos, blogs, forums where you can find info about this. .308 rifles are not some kind of niche application.

2-7 Leupold VX Freedom. Damn clean on a .22!

Rifle specific optics. .308 you can get a little more magnification.

The Simmons 22 rifle scope is great IMO. I have one on my 1959 marlin 99c. Shot a squirrel in the face last year with at 20 yards.

I know. Not far. But I am happy with the scope out 100 yards.

.308 is a different story.

You need two different scope imo. 1 for the .22 and 1 for the .308.

You would have to re-sight in the scope if you switch between the two calibers.

- P

I would also save some money on the rimfire scope and stash your cash for something better for the .308.

I use the BSA Sweet 22 and the Bushnell Rimfire on all of my 22's including a WMR. Both are 3-9x40 with side adjust parallax and I am more than happy with their performance.

There are plenty of rimfire options wth your manufacturer of choice - Nikon, Leupold, etc. Personally, I would use cheaper glass on your 10/22 and save your $$$ for good glass on the 308 due to distance considerations.

Personally, I like UTG Bugbusters on my 22s, which are 3x9 and have focusing from 3 yds to infinity. For me this is more than enough for what most often is in the 10 - 50 yard range/distance anyway.

:p If you feel the need to dominate in long range .22 cal., I suggest an Appleseed target at 25 meters with scaled silhouettes for the longer distances. My wife thinks I'm an Daniel Boone from 250 to 400 yards :s0140:

I just put a Bushnell Nitro 5x20 of my 10/22 this rifle is not stock I don't think it has any ruger parts left on it. anyways this scope focuses down to 15 yrds and also allows me shoot out to 200 yrds , great scope for what I want to do with my 10/22.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top