JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nothing trumps the needs of the shooter and the terrain he hunts.

In the old days, more often than not, a 760 would sport a 4x scope. Most likely a Weaver or Leupold, but if you were sporty, you'd have a Redfield Widefield.

Last Edited:
Two things to keep in mind:
1. It is a classic and is 'lightweight' and 'handy'. So I would keep it to a 2x7 (preferred) or 3x9 (smallish). And do a 'solid' mount.
2. Jacking a round into the chamber means you may want a longer eye relief to avoid the indentations on ones forehead. Pumping creates more movement than 'fanning' a bolt.
I have one in 30-06 carbine with extra mags, so they are keepers. That pump can almost be as fast as a semi-auto!

Geez: If the glass is good and it holds zero, the scope should work nicely. I'd compare the clarity of the Bushnell of your older scope to a present day scope in 3 x 9 and see if you note a marked difference. The 9 x should work nicely for 200 yards on that 270. The limitation on your 270 is the model 760, which as I stated above, some were very accurate while others were a dog. So, I'd try premium 270 ammo and see how it shoots. I would not do this test with basic factory ammo. I'd buy the expensive stuff by federal or hornady or others. The 760 looks like it is in great shape! Nice gift!!!!!!! Wonderful.
I'd second this if it weren't for the fact that a couple of my '06s have shot their best groups, tiny ones at that, with Remington Core Lokt 150grainers. Try anything you can get your mitts on.
Many .270s traditionally sported a 2x-7x in the wayback times. I like a 3x-9x but for hunting the hills of the Blues I would go with the higher power of a 2x-10x or even a 4x-12x. Esp if the user has older eyes like mine!!!
Hunting near Pilcher Creek Res is one place I wanted more than the high end of my 3-9 Leupold.

In the old days, more often than not, a 760 would sport a 4x scope. Most likely a Weaver or Leupold, but if you were sporty, you'd have a Redfield Widefield.
Widefield with the rectangular eyepiece? ;)

I like "sporty!" I have a low power Widefield on a .22 and it 's great.

Hunting near Pilcher Creek Res is one place I wanted more than the high end of my 3-9 Leupold.

Please post pic of the rack on the trout you shot! ;):)

(There is a small lake on the backside that had some nice trout, but it has been discovered and no longer a fun place. The 4 Corners campground at the junction of the road leading down the backside where the Starkey/Granite hwy meets up at the N. Fork John Day always has a lot of archery hunters camped there. A very nice trail leads upriver where I caught a few tiny trout on a fly also leads to some old mining shacks that are fun to explore. And has huckleberries along the trail for snacking.)

Rugged mountains up high!!! The road from Anthony Lakes to Ladd Canyon is fun on a snowmobile.

Ya know, the road from Haines to Anthony Lakes just at the bottom before the incline is slaughter alley for deer. But I've never hunted deer over there, nor elk. I did hunt quail with my worthless grandson. No dog. We got just a few but no bonanza. I've hunted doves not too far from there... songbirds are yummy.

Please post pic of the rack on the trout you shot! ;):)
I'm not sure there are fish there! My wife and nephew spent some time fishing, but came up empty handed.
A friend of Dad's owns the property that borders the reservoir to the east and north, which we used to hunt. Very nice area, for sure.

I'm not sure there are fish there! My wife and nephew spent some time fishing, but came up empty handed.
A friend of Dad's owns the property that borders the reservoir to the east and north, which we used to hunt. Very nice area, for sure.

Me too... I've trolled there endlessly to no avail. Yet I keep reading stories in the local rag about how great it is... I guess I'm not holding my mouth right. Pretty place to spend a day tho!!!

I'm jealous. Always wanted some property, haven't been able to afford any since I moved from Brookings. Land here is wayyyyyy expensive.

I know this thread is 6 months old, but...

If the old Bushnell isn't broken or fogged, honestly, you'd have to pay a lot of money to buy a modern scope that is as rugged and clear and bright as that old Japanese Bushnell.

Close hunting, you want low power for wide field of view for fast acquisition.

Far away, you want enough power to zoom in for attempted precision.

3x is low.
9x is high enough unless maybe you intend to hunt past 500 yards, which almost no one does because that is very far for a hunting shot and requires much prep and practice to be done ethically.

If the scope hasn't been changed yet, IMO, there's no reason to change it.

Nice rig.
If the barrel is clean, the rifle is almost certainly better than sub-2moa out to 400 yards with the right factory 130gr or 150gr ammo. I concur with the previous opinion about generic Remington core-lokt ammo. Many rifles shoot it quite well. Try a box, if it doesn't shoot under 2 moa, try something else.

Vintage Japanese glass is very good glass, 1960's through early 1980's. They did offer budget scopes, but their middle and top-line scopes each year were very well made, very clear and bright. I still use several myself, all Tasco's. My Dad bought a Bushnell 3-9x40 with BDC in the late 70's. It's still on a Model 70 Featherweight. It's very accurate.

My vote: leave it as is.

If it were mine it would sport a period correct fixed 4x or a variable 3-9 by any of the big players. Keep it a classic.:)
Out of my wheelhouse and thought I might ask for a recommendation..

Got a call from someone I know today who was gifted a mid-1970s Remington 760 in .270 win. It looks to be in perfect condition and the story is that it was only used once for a Idaho deer hunt in the late 70's or early 80's.

I was asked about what kind of scope and rings sight be a good match for this rifle. However, I have no experience to draw from.

Am I correct that something like a 3x9x40 might be a good candidate? Any brands or models to look at? (LOL, my knowledge here ends with words like Redfield Widefield, Nikon and Leupold with no context to flesh this out.) I am thinking that price range will be lower end - say $150 - $250.

I think it is tapped for a scope. Will it need scope bases to go with low or medium rings?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.
2x7 Leopold (buy used, lifetime warranty), Weaver, or Leupold rings,
and you are good to go.
Everything you need, nothing you don't.
Best,
Gary

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show