JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Out of my wheelhouse and thought I might ask for a recommendation..

Got a call from someone I know today who was gifted a mid-1970s Remington 760 in .270 win. It looks to be in perfect condition and the story is that it was only used once for a Idaho deer hunt in the late 70's or early 80's.

I was asked about what kind of scope and rings sight be a good match for this rifle. However, I have no experience to draw from.

Am I correct that something like a 3x9x40 might be a good candidate? Any brands or models to look at? (LOL, my knowledge here ends with words like Redfield Widefield, Nikon and Leupold with no context to flesh this out.) I am thinking that price range will be lower end - say $150 - $250.

I think it is tapped for a scope. Will it need scope bases to go with low or medium rings?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

First off, the 760 was intended as a pump action deer rifle for hunting in timber, but it does have capability well beyond 100 yards. What type of hunting environment are you intending to hunt? That might dictate what type of scope you'd need. Vortex makes great scopes.

Southeastern Washington area...I don't live there but I believe it is foothills of Blueridge mountain area - so perhaps hills, some brush/trees.

Yes, it is pump action with a 4 round (?) magazine.

My interests have been in pistols, M1 carbines and 50's rimfire, so I have never had to scope a deer gun. Left to my own resources, I would take a lever action Win 94 in 30/30 and call it good out to 100 yds with iron sights.

The new owner is a firearm newbie and has family help but they are AR centric.

Best bet maybe look for 2x10-40. 2x for woods and 10 power out to 200 yards. The 760 was highly variable in terms of accuracy; some about a minute of an angle vs others 3-4 minutes. 5 rounds; 4 in magazine. The 760 can be noisy on a stand.

Best bet maybe look for 2x10-40. 2x for woods and 10 power out to 200 yards. The 760 was highly variable in terms of accuracy; some about a minute of an angle vs others 3-4 minutes. 5 rounds; 4 in magazine. The 760 can be noisy on a stand.

May work nicely for elk at those distances.

Mine has a period Japanese made Tasco 3x9x40. Bought when the rife was. It has been a good scope, though it and the rifle have seen some hard use.
I have a very similar Tasco that came on my old Winchester Model 70. Very clear even after who knows how many years. If the OP is interested in a 4x, I'd sell it at a very reasonable price.

To add to @edzz comment...

And find a Weaver tip off scope mount for quick access to the irons.
My first Winchester 70, a Feather weight, had tip offs and an old style, screwdriver adjustable variable scope. The tip offs were cool and allowed easy access to the irons.
Looked for a pic, but can't find one... :(

Here is what I inherited from my dad.

61A05A01-B60D-42E0-B4A6-95B3FE187A54.jpeg AB837F59-7AE4-4244-9F0A-2182FE836005.jpeg

Geez: If the glass is good and it holds zero, the scope should work nicely. I'd compare the clarity of the Bushnell of your older scope to a present day scope in 3 x 9 and see if you note a marked difference. The 9 x should work nicely for 200 yards on that 270. The limitation on your 270 is the model 760, which as I stated above, some were very accurate while others were a dog. So, I'd try premium 270 ammo and see how it shoots. I would not do this test with basic factory ammo. I'd buy the expensive stuff by federal or hornady or others. The 760 looks like it is in great shape! Nice gift!!!!!!! Wonderful.

I would look for a quality optic in the following power ranges: 2x-7x, 3x-9x, 2x-10x or a LPVO (low power variable optic which are optics like 1x-5x, 1x-6x, 1x-8x). If they aren't looking for magnification you could also go the route of a red dot style site which would be great for quick acquisition shooting and usable to 100 yards and possibly further on deer size game and larger.

Brands to take a look at:
- Leupold
- Redfield
- Burris
- Vortex
- Primary arms
- Bushnell
- Meopta
- Sig Sauer
- Steiner
- Swarovski
- Zeiss

All the above make quality optics, some have value lines that I would likely steer clear of on a hunting rifle.

Many .270s traditionally sported a 2x-7x in the wayback times. I like a 3x-9x but for hunting the hills of the Blues I would go with the higher power of a 2x-10x or even a 4x-12x. Esp if the user has older eyes like mine!!!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top