JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I run a Leupold VX-2 1-4 x 20. On my carbine.

And I run a VX-1 2-7x33 on my mid rifle.

I preffer a Leupold, because they are top quality, and made close to home. I preffer a low power variable scope, because you have a wider field of view, and you can see through it like a QCB scope, with both eyes open, on the low power setting. Then you can zoom in to a higher setting for shooting longer distance.

I use Warne Super high quick detach rings. They are solid, and go right on the flat top. No need for risers.

See links.

37742 - 2-7x33mm VX-I Riflescope Duplex Reticle 1/4 MOA Matte Black Warranty

37790 - 1-4x20mm VX-II Riflescope Duplex Reticle 1/4 MOA Matte Black Warranty

48791 - 1" Warne AR-15 Flat Top Aluminum Rings Ultra-High Matte

I am looking for some recommendations for an AR scope for a 5.56 to 6.8 carbine rifle. Any suggestions!?
What is your intended purpose of the rifle? On my three gun rifle I run a Aimpoint ML3 with 4 MOA dot, on my 6.8 I run a Bushnell Elite 3200 fixed 10x mil-dot. If this is an everything rifle... a 1-4x would be my suggestion.

Huntpotter and I see eye-to-eye here, (especially about Leupold) with a slight modification for my purpose: A light, accurate Coyote carbine that might be called upon for long range:

DPMS AP4, 5.56 with a Leupold Compact (now called "Ultralight") 3x-9x. Mine with the two-dot elevation graduations under the center crosshair of the reticle.

Got a Millett DMS 1-4, but mainly for the low price, and option to have a true 1x with red dot

2nding the Millett. It's a very nice scope for the price. I wouldn't really use it as a replacement for a red dot as you still get parallax and scope shadow issues that a regular red dot does not, however it really can't be beat for the price when it comes to an optic that is useful for short-medium ranges. And OP isn't looking for a red dot anyway. :) Just make sure that reticle is centered and you're good to go.

Aimpoint comp2A, Nikon M223, EoTech 552, Leupold Mark AR 1-4x20, and finally a Zeiss tactical 1.1-4.

And in my opinion the Leupold is the worst out of all.

Scott

Last Edited:
Depends a lot on what you are looking for... A fast low power scope for close in work, EOTech's are great for close in, but a bit spendy. I have one on my shorty AR. For distance stuff on my SPR clone I have a burris fullfield 2 4.5x14-42 and on my .308 a FF2 6.5x20-50mm.

They have proven to be very good scopes for the money, maybe one of these days I'll step up to a zeiss or a swarovski. Leopold makes some very good scopes also, but I don't have a lot of experience with them.

I tend to consider the AR to have a maximum range of 600 yards effective, so you don't need to spend the extra money on really high power or long range scopes, but the extra magnification you get with some of the medium magnification scopes can help you aquire prarie dogs a lot faster.

When you go and look at scopes, the two things I always look for are parallax, and brightness. For parallax, set the scope on the table and point it at a target across the store. Then move your head around, the closer the crosshairs stay to being on target despite your head movement the less parallax there is. Most variable power scopes have some kind of parallax adjustment which is intended to minimize this effect, but it depends greatly on the range to target.

Brightness is much easier to determine, look for the darkest parts of the store, then look at them through the scope and see how much detail you can pick out. The more you can, the better the optics are.

You should repeat these tests at minimum, medium and maxumum power on a variable scope. You will notice right away that the higher the magnification, the more brightness will be affected. The test of a good scope is at highest power having a minimum of parallax and a maximum brightness. Head over to a bass pro shop and look at the really high end scopes. Then look at progressively cheaper scopes until you find one that balances both the price and the quality of the optics. Personally, parallax is more important to brightness.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top