Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Scope for 22-250

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Cord, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Cord

Cord The Dalles, Oregon New Member

I am the new owner of a 22-250 Kimber and now I need to add the scope and mounts so that I can get it out to the range.

Cabelas has the Leupold VX-III Varmint Hunter 4-14AO in their bargain cave. Is this the scope I should be looking at to take advantage of the capabilities of the 22-250?

The rifle didn't come with mounts, and so should I be looking to buy the Kimber mounts and rings or should I go with the Leupold mounts and rings if I get the Leupold scope?

Cord in The Dalles

2. ron22250

ron22250 Newberg Member

That's a nice scope you're looking at but generally speaking, vaminter's typically choose a higher power scope (and there's many who don't too). Consider this; the smaller the target and/or the further away the target is, may warrant a higher power scope. I have a 8-32x50 on my .22-250.
    Hey everyone, what size scopes are on your varmint rigs ?

3. ORBrit

ORBrit Eugene Member

I have a 6-18 x 40 Nikon Buckmasters scope.
    I'm a noob to varmint hunting though so couldn't tell you if it works well for me or not though.
    I do use the Leupold rings and B-Square mount on my Savage 12 in .22-250

I group about 3/4" (5 shots) at 100 yards using a bipod. I'm sure a bench rest could yield 1/2" or less.

4. dilleybilly

dilleybilly Forest Grove Member

i use a leupold 4-14 with AO and leupold mounts and rings

5. SquackDaddy

SquackDaddy Marion County Member

I have a Savage 12FV in .22-250 and it wears an 8-32X50 scope. Personally, I like having the ability to 'crank it up' to 32X when spying distant targets.

6. 9mmMike

9mmMike Gladstone, OR Member

I have an old 788 in 22-250 that is a tack driver. I have a 6-24x44 on it and it seems to be enough for the longest shots I'm able to make. It's really nice zooming in to 24x even on the 100 yd range to get a nice tight group. I think this range in perfect for the caliber and the shots I take, but I can see the possibility of larger or smaller magnification depending on actual usage of the gun. Have fun.

7. Cord

Cord The Dalles, Oregon New Member

Thanks guys,

I appreciate your input. I probably would have bought the 4 X 14 before reading your posts and I would have been convinced that I had the perfect scope for the rifle. Now I am looking at the Leupold 6 x 25 and trying to find a few more dollars to add to the pot.

Cord