JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How do you protect your scope?

• No cover or cap

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Bikini style

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Flip up caps

Votes: 17 65.4%
  • See throuh flip up caps

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Scope cover

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Other - Please tell us your secret trick to protect your scope

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters
Covered by vortex are quite nice. Keeps scopes from bumping into other rifles in the safe too.

What is your favorite way to protect your scope and especially lenses? Please tell us your favorite brand as well as those that let you down.
For hunting?
Thread on Leupold Alumacaps are the best Ive used. Prior I had a Vortex scope and got their flip lens caps and they sucked. Prior to all that a simple bikini style always works on the cheap and some brands if you rig it with some rubber bands you just pull off the eye cap and it all flops to the side opposite the ejection port. They dont sell Michaels Of Oregon bikini covers anymore but those always worked great designed to flop out of the way with a flip, I still use on my lever gun.

I bought Butler Creek Blizzard see through caps for a few different scopes but quit using them in the field. Seems they cause more troubles than just leaving the scope uncovered. I still use them for storing the rifles because it keeds the lenses from getting dusty.

For hunting?
Thread on Leupold Alumacaps are the best Ive used. Prior I had a Vortex scope and got their flip lens caps and they sucked. Prior to all that a simple bikini style always works on the cheap and some brands if you rig it with some rubber bands you just pull off the eye cap and it all flops to the side opposite the ejection port. They dont sell Michaels Of Oregon bikini covers anymore but those always worked great designed to flop out of the way with a flip, I still use on my lever gun.
I still have some of these Michaels of Oregon and they still work great, way better that the all rubber designs. Even though I got them over 30 years ago the rubber is still good!

I wish the Alumacaps came in more sizes to fit non Leupold scopes. I might get a set for my VXr now that it's a hunting scope and doesn't need the ARD.

SW Oregon Coast range brush hunter. Disappointment Butler Creek Flip ups, Brush pops them open and the hinge is plastic, zero survival rate. Happy with, soft rubber bikini for cheap bullet proof.

Curious about what sets them apart?
They are built like a freakin' tank, they come with a lifetime replacement warranty plus they lay flat against the tube when opened and are made in the USA. They close very tight and will not "auto open" on brush, they are snow proof, dust proof, dirt proof, mud proof and rain proof. I've broken a couple pairs of Michaels Of Oregon/Butler Creek and won't even waste my time with them any more. I'm thinking of replacing the ocular lens cover with a Tenebraex see-through flip-up so in a pinch I still sight with the gun while the covers are closed.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top