JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So i have been thinking about getting a scope and rings for my Marlin 795 22lr rifle (Dovetail rail) for plinking but am stuck on what to get and where to get it. I have never bought a scope and rings before.

I looked on amazon and saw they had some inexpensive scopes on there that had mainly positive reviews but the rings weren't the best and they suggested upgrading the rings. I have no experience in this field so any help would be appreciated. I am not looking to spend more than 80$, I know that's not much but i don't want to commit to much to something i may or may not like. This will only be a plinking set up.

Thanks in advance.

I really wouldn't worry about the rings on a dovetailed .22. Some guys, especially 10-22 guys will bolt on or "build" that rifle with all kinds of stuff with the only original thing remaining being.. nothing, all to say they did and with decreased reliability and about the same accuracy.
I'd slap a $30 malwart scope (with rings) on it

Nikon prostaff rimfire fixed 4x. I have 3 of them and they are great scopes but they usually run $100-120 and come with rings but if you shop around you might find one on sale cheaper.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

@Certaindeaf

I have heard stories and read reviews about how the dovetail rings that come with lower end scopes tend to come loose after a few dozen rounds causing the scope to loose zero. I would rather not deal with that lol.

@jonn5335

That scope does look good but what iv'e seen is that it doesn't come with dovetail rings. I will definitely keep a look out and see if i can get one on the cheap somewhere.

Last Edited:
I really wouldn't worry about the rings on a dovetailed .22. Some guys, especially 10-22 guys will bolt on or "build" that rifle with all kinds of stuff with the only original thing remaining being.. nothing, all to say they did and with decreased reliability and about the same accuracy.
I'd slap a $30 malwart scope (with rings) on it
But the rifle is now tacticool and that is all that matters!!!

I used to have a 795 and did run into a problem with the scope moving back on the receiver. It had a cheap simmons scope on it, which worked great but the rings that came with it were not so great....I just tightened them down as hard as I could and It would hold for quite some time but never could justify dumping a bunch of money into more expensive products for the little toss around gun...... Good luck in your venture!

I used to have a 795 and did run into a problem with the scope moving back on the receiver. It had a cheap simmons scope on it, which worked great but the rings that came with it were not so great....I just tightened them down as hard as I could and It would hold for quite some time but never could justify dumping a bunch of money into more expensive products for the little toss around gun...... Good luck in your venture!

Thanks! I found a Nikon prostaff 4x32 rimfire classic for under 70 and a set of weaver brand dovetail rings for 14!

The Simmons 22mag is a real nice 22 scope for around $50.
I just bought some Leopold dove tail rings for my 22mag. They weren't cheap but I want some nice rings on this gun.
I'll probably go with the Simmons 22mag scope again. It works fine for the low recoil of this rifle.
You can probably find an adapter for your rifle to make it weaver mounts if you want more options. Weaver P# T-10 I believe. The reason I didn't use it was the 2 set screws that you push into the top of the receiver.Not an option for my gun.Otherwise it does broaden you horizons for rings.

Thanks for the info guys. I already went with the Nikon Prostaff rimfire classic 4x32 and a set of the more expensive weaver brand rings that were 25$ instead of the cheaper 14$ just cause the reviews were awesome on them. I will definitely look on those links for more information.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top