JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sportsmen gearing up for vote; how this relates to the Juan Williams outrage

Crazy as it may seem to some people, what happened to National Public Radio’s Juan Williams this week, obviously in the cause of far left political correctness, should serve as a warning shot across the bow of every firearms owner in America who insists they are staunch defenders of all civil rights.

<broken link removed>

Or try this:

<broken link removed>

Crazy as it may seem to some people, what happened to National Public Radio’s Juan Williams this week, obviously in the cause of far left political correctness, should serve as a warning shot across the bow of every firearms owner in America who insists they are staunch defenders of all civil rights.

I agree as far as 'Crazy as it may seem'. :s0114:

The first comment nailed the entire problem with your article. Since when do First Amendment rights apply to an employee/employer relationship? Employers should be able to fire people at will, and especially if they go on TV and say things they don't like.

I like most of your articles when you stick to guns. This article was like a dud round that bounced off the berm, clipped the clubhouse and landed in the parking lot.

I agree as far as 'Crazy as it may seem'. :s0114:

The first comment nailed the entire problem with your article. Since when do First Amendment rights apply to an employee/employer relationship? Employers should be able to fire people at will, and especially if they go on TV and say things they don't like.

I like most of your articles when you stick to guns. This article was like a dud round that bounced off the berm, clipped the clubhouse and landed in the parking lot.

I hate to admit to agreeing with 8ball but I do agree, part of working for a company and staying employed is taking the company line and not embarrassing the company. The first amendment doesn't really apply in this instance, some could say that NPR is partially funded through government endowment but I'm reasonably certain that in a Supreme court comprised of 100&#37; conservatives they would not rule that the 1st amendment had been violated.

Let me give a true real world example.

I worked for my Grandfathers company right out of high school, we had people that made delivers of our products, one day on the Sunset highway a person in a car did something to piss off one of our drivers (honked), our driver flipped the other driver off . Well I get a call, seems the person our driver flipped off while driving a truck with our company name plastered on the side was my grandmother, and boy was she upset, long story short I fired him.

So did I violate his 1st amendment rights?

Back to NPR, though they did nothing wrong it goes to show that "All things considered" should be changed to "All things we agree with considered"

I hate to admit to agreeing with 8ball but I do agree, part of working for a company and staying employed is taking the company line and not embarrassing the company. The first amendment doesn't really apply in this instance, some could say that NPR is partially funded through government endowment but I'm reasonably certain that in a Supreme court comprised of 100% conservatives they would not rule that the 1st amendment had been violated.

Let me give a true real world example.

I worked for my Grandfathers company right out of high school, we had people that made delivers of our products, one day on the Sunset highway a person in a car did something to piss off one of our drivers (honked), our driver flipped the other driver off . Well I get a call, seems the person our driver flipped off while driving a truck with our company name plastered on the side was my grandmother, and boy was she upset, long story short I fired him.

So did I violate his 1st amendment rights?

Back to NPR, though they did nothing wrong it goes to show that "All things considered" should be changed to "All things we agree with considered"

I believe it all depends on the situation. Trlsm, in your example, the guy was on company time, on company property so you were rightly justified in firing him.

I'm not hyped enough about William's firing to spend a lot of time checking into all the circumstances, but it is my understanding that he was not on an NPR show when he made the statement. Which, IMO, means that unless he was on the show acting as an NPR statesman or representative, all statements from him were either from a professional or personal opinion, rather than the position of NPR. In which case, he should not been fired.

Would you have fired the guy from your example if he had flipped off your grandmother while he was driving his own car (ie not on company time or in a company vehicle)? Assuming of course, she recognized where he worked.

elsie

Out of ALL the Liberals in the media I like Juan Williams the best (even though I've often shouted at him while watching him on TV.. LOL) because he DOES have integrity and DOES engage in HONEST debate. IMO he takes the high road (i.e. "not winning at any cost") regardless of who's "right or wrong" and have even seen him re-evaluate his position(s) when presented with viable "counter-facts".

If the political left actually operated like Juan Williams does (actually upholding the purported values of "Liberals"), this country would be in a LOT better shape (and not disfunctional), but he has just been educated to the true core nature of the progressive machine and mindset... tyranny.

He should have been canned, surprised it wasn't sooner. As a manager, I would have terminated him. He shouldn't have been on the cable news with NPR, or any other company/org under his name, then he would be free to say whatever he wanted without losing affiliation to said coat-tails that he rode in on.

Anyone else with any other public org/company would have been canned for less. I am not even permitted to give letters of recommendation to previous employees due to such affirmations appearing to be written on behalf of the company who's stationary and signature block I'd use.

So in the end... who cares. Williams brought nothing to the table in the first place other than being the paper liberal occasionally on the panels. Unless we should rally behind it cause we have nothing better to engage upon. Snore.

Sorry sir, I say snore cause this is a bore.

I am fueled on coffee and good ol American free thought.

You may borrow as much of my tin foil as you can wear.

Return fire and God Bless! /cheers

Friend, I think you're missing the whole point of this thread... we're not talking about a "commercial company" (per se) that sells wigets, we're talking about organizations that are wholly engaged in commentating on "the news", individuals (Nina Totenberg) that state ON AIR that they hope Jesse Helms (and his grandchildren) "get AIDS from a transfusion" (I guess THAT's acceptable to NPR).

Juan never instigated the fact he was on NPR, it was always brought up by the various hosts who shows he appeared on because it gave "credibility" to the fact that FOX was fair and balanced, and included HONEST DEBATE and conversation ON AIR concerning political/social issues... unlike the warped & reprobate NPR (and friends) leftist spew-machine.

:s0129: :s0129: :s0129:

No offense meant to you sir. The foil joke is lame, I'd still lend some, but only after I fashion my own hat first.

Although they don't regularly play up that he is from NPR, its the only reason he's included on panels.. to lend the appearance of inclusion of non Fox sources. Likely without his affiliation to NPR, they would have gone with someone else as he'd just be another talking head, of which there are many. He is one of the token liberals on the channel; a cartoon character who is only there to advance fuel for contradiction. He's useless as that dork that holds down the other side on Hannity.

Useless to the pundits... but then again this country shouldn't be about the pundits, it should be about bringing out the best we can be as a nation, and that means striving for, and elevating EXCELLENCE... not dragging everyone/everything down to the lowest common denomenator... it should be about guaranteed equal OPPORTUNITY, NOT guaranteed equal OUTCOMES.

I don't get it myself. Juan was on a FOX show. He simply expressed the way he feels on his own time. He was not working for NPR at the time. I also don't believe NPR being equated with a private company is right, because NPR is publicly funded. I think their public funding should be yanked, and they can try to make it on their own. Williams will be fine anyhow as he is being picked up by FOX. I don't agree with the guys politics at all, but he does have integrity.

NPR's public funding is less than 3&#37; of its budget. They like to say they are listener supported but most of its funding comes from corporate contributions with advertising.

NPR's public funding is less than 3% of its budget. They like to say they are listener supported but most of its funding comes from corporate contributions with advertising.

Oh ya. I know that Soros is a huge contributor, although the Federal government is a huge contributor to Soros.

Whatever I guess. I believe in employers being able to hire or fire who they wish when it comes to work related stuff. I don't believe that a company buys a person lock stock and barrel just because they rent 40 hours a week of their time. What he does on his own time is his own business as far as I am concerned.

Oh ya. I know that Soros is a huge contributor, although the Federal government is a huge contributor to Soros.

Whatever I guess. I believe in employers being able to hire or fire who they wish when it comes to work related stuff. I don't believe that a company buys a person lock stock and barrel just because they rent 40 hours a week of their time. What he does on his own time is his own business as far as I am concerned.

Soros just wrote NPR a check for 1.8 mil. Maybe that's a reward check for giving Williams the boot.

I believe it all depends on the situation. Trlsm, in your example, the guy was on company time, on company property so you were rightly justified in firing him.

I'm not hyped enough about William's firing to spend a lot of time checking into all the circumstances, but it is my understanding that he was not on an NPR show when he made the statement. Which, IMO, means that unless he was on the show acting as an NPR statesman or representative, all statements from him were either from a professional or personal opinion, rather than the position of NPR. In which case, he should not been fired.

Would you have fired the guy from your example if he had flipped off your grandmother while he was driving his own car (ie not on company time or in a company vehicle)? Assuming of course, she recognized where he worked.

elsie

The only problem here is that, outside of the company truck, the driver probably would not be associated with being part of the company. Juan Williams is a face of the company he does not need to be in a truck with the company name plastered on the side.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top