JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"public mass shootings make up less than 1 percent of firearm fatalities, according to separate reporting by The New York Times."

Mass shootings are not the problem. It's physcos and criminals that are causing most of the child gun deaths along with a few accidental shootings sprinkled in.

Source: The Gun Violence That Children Actually Experience - The Atlantic

I would consider both of these media outlets anti-gun and yet they have a rational view on the rarity of mass shootings in schools. So why is it that our anti polititcians ignore this fact and use these rare mass shootings as a basis for much of their anti-gun legislation agenda. It would seem to me that it's because of the disproportionate attention, sympathy, etc that these school mass shootings generate.

Do gun rights supporters have a similiar cause that would generate this disproportionate support for our side?

More articles on rarity of school mass shootings:

School shootings are not the new normal, despite statistics that stretch the truth

The School Shootings That Weren't

Mass shootings represent a tiny share of all shooting deaths

Rotherham: School Shootings Are Rare. We Need to Dial Back the Fear So Students Can Engage on the Issue of Guns in Society

Friendly Reminder: School Shootings Are Still Rare. More Kids Are Killed Walking To School

American children do not "risk their lives" when they show up to school each morning — or at least, not nearly as much as they do whenever they ride in a car, swim in a pool, or put food in their mouths (an American's lifetime odds of dying in a mass shooting committed in any location is 1 in 11,125; of dying in a car accident is 1 and 491; of drowning is 1 in 1,133; and of choking on food is 1 in 3,461). Criminal victimization in American schools has collapsed in tandem with the overall crime rate, leaving U.S. classrooms safer today than at any time in recent memory. Source: There Is No 'Epidemic of Mass School Shootings'

Last Edited:
How can we change the narrative and get our candidates/politicians to publicy acknowledge that school mass shootings are rare? Would promoting these types of articles do any good?

My father told me as a child "never talk about the guns you own, one day they will come for them"

Obviously I've been horrible at taking my father's advice. But this was in the 80s, same crap different tactics.

First they come up with some reason to take the guns, then they try and trick gullible people into thinking those reasons are valid.

It becomes easier as time goes on to find those gullible people as things become safer, so people aren't seeing the need for guns as much. The information age is also making it harder to control the bad information, but with fake news distorting the information superhighway it's becoming easier again.

The truth will set us free, eventually, I hope.

This false conception about the state of school safety is one that urgently needs to be fought and eliminated, as it is the main driving force behind calls for stricter gun laws and bans. We need to start calling "BS", to start attacking all the anti-rights groups with our correct facts and statistics wherever they rear their ugly heads.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top