JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you...

• Be forward with the administration before your volunteer application is approved

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Be forward after approval

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shut up

Votes: 19 86.4%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters
Reactions
(I posted this in the wrong location... It's gonna get moved...)

So......

I'm a stay at home dad, my wife and I have our child being home schooled... We just got temp full custody of my other son (there is a thread on that) and he is in public school here in this town.

The thought came up to do some volunteering time at the school to help the one son see that his parents are actually involved in his school (unlike previously) and the question arose...

If you were volunteering on a regular basis, would you sit down with the Principal (or vice pal) and say "look, I'm a CHL holder and I wanted YOU to be aware of this because I do carry every day about my activities. Oregon law permits me to do so with the license, if there are any questions of legality please direct this to the school resource officer...

Or do you just leave it alone and if it's ever printed then deal with t then?

The volunteer times would probably be in the morning prior to school as I have a kiddo also who needs his schooling done at the house.

I'm all about honesty, being direct and building a positive relationship with the educators.

My sister has been with the Beaverton school district for several years as a teacher. I carry in her school all the time. She and a few other teachers know, but it's definitely on the DL.

Not volunteering information is NOT being dishonest. Don't start none, won't be none. Concealed means concealed.

Let them get to see you and get to know you, then if they find out later you have a CCW on you it may change their minds about the type of people who have CHL's.

If I was not told as a volunteer that I could not carry no one would ever know until it was time for action.
Hopefully they would never have to know.

My brother-in-law is a stay at home dad who volunteers at my nephew/niece's school and ran into a similar situation. He was quietly asked to either stop coming to the school armed or to stop helping out. He compromised by leaving it in the car. I can understand it being a touchy subject... Best of luck.

The first question I would ask myself is how the son feels about you volunteering. He is going from a non starter parent to an overbearing/overwatching one? how will he feel about you volunteering is what I'm saying. How would you have felt when you were his age (age not noted above)if your parent did this?

I would not mention the CPL as you will most likely not be asked or allowed to volunteer and be noted that you have one across the school faculty. Corvallis is not a good place to volunteer the info let alone with state/city employees. My wife works for the Albany school district and I can speak from experience that there are some pretty weak minded anti gunner types employed throughout the district especially the administrators (principles).

Having a carry permit does not require you to let anyone know you have it if you choose to tell people be ready to be told you can't come in here or shop here so on and so on ,especially the school communist central

Thanks Ladies and gents.

@deadeye The main reason was not to be overbearing but to assist a little at the school. It's actually asked for by the school. Something called "DOGS" program. Dads Of Great Students..... but it's for a strong male presence to some of the kids who don't have a male figure in their house.

Again, thank you all.. Ive told the wife I'm not really too interested and I wanted to see the opinions here as to carry vs non etc...

I think if I do it will be "part of me" when/if I go and do it. On the down low...

I would volunteer, and be honest. But I would only answer questioned asked.
If not asked they must not want to know.

And be ready if someone finds out to handle the crap after, or at least be respectful when asked not to come back.

Don't end up on the news.

My brother-in-law is a stay at home dad who volunteers at my nephew/niece's school and ran into a similar situation. He was quietly asked to either stop coming to the school armed or to stop helping out. He compromised by leaving it in the car. I can understand it being a touchy subject... Best of luck.
they have no legal authority to ask him to stop coming to the school legally armed. Public schools are public places.

(I posted this in the wrong location... It's gonna get moved...)

So......

I'm a stay at home dad, my wife and I have our child being home schooled... We just got temp full custody of my other son (there is a thread on that) and he is in public school here in this town.

The thought came up to do some volunteering time at the school to help the one son see that his parents are actually involved in his school (unlike previously) and the question arose...

If you were volunteering on a regular basis, would you sit down with the Principal (or vice pal) and say "look, I'm a CHL holder and I wanted YOU to be aware of this because I do carry every day about my activities. Oregon law permits me to do so with the license, if there are any questions of legality please direct this to the school resource officer...

Or do you just leave it alone and if it's ever printed then deal with t then?

The volunteer times would probably be in the morning prior to school as I have a kiddo also who needs his schooling done at the house.

I'm all about honesty, being direct and building a positive relationship with the educators.
there is nothing dishonest about not disclosing personal information and make certain that thing never prints.

Should you decide to volunteer and carry I would recommend to deep carry! Do not print or flash!
In my case that would be my Ruger LCP in a pocket holster with loose slacks! Your son doesn't need his dad in a controversy in a school situation! Good luck with your decision, I hope you do volunteer! SRG

Should you decide to volunteer and carry I would recommend to deep carry! Do not print or flash!
In my case that would be my Ruger LCP in a pocket holster with loose slacks! Your son doesn't need his dad in a controversy in a school situation! Good luck with your decision, I hope you do volunteer! SRG

Thanks, good advice. It would be a slim pistol, deep IWB and of course I would cover it with an oversized sweatshirt that hangs past my butt. I look like a teenager but older and with a beard. Last person you would expect--- the gray man.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top