JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IMG_1458.JPG IMG_1459.JPG
My concern beyond the depth of the gouges and if it will cause brass to expand and get stuck (lower circle) is what's going on in the upper circle... has the frame been chunked out whilst trying to pry out the stuck brass?

Here's another question...

I know there were different styles of rear sights... Different handguards ???

I have the adjustable rear sight, both windage and elevation.
When aiming through the peep, the bottom half of the sight picture is the front of the handguard.

Normal?

Basically just see the top half of the front sight. I couldn't see the bottom of the front sight post through the peep if I tried.

I've seen the flip rear sights, they look taller than mine.
My thought was that maybe guns with the adjustable sights used a different handguard ???

Ive attached some pictures. The one isnt very good but you can see through the peep that half of the field of view is the handguard...

20190608_130735.jpg
20190608_130645.jpg
20190608_131108.jpg

View attachment 588332 View attachment 588333
My concern beyond the depth of the gouges and if it will cause brass to expand and get stuck (lower circle) is what's going on in the upper circle... has the frame been chunked out whilst trying to pry out the stuck brass?

The Classifieds ad is where people go to kick themselves for missing out.... This post is where they go to feel better about it :D

This is as close up as I can get...
20190608_132905.jpg
Looks like a piece of the bbl is out and only a slight notch in the receiver... looks old though... not shiny like someone recently got in there and reefed on it.

I looked at the pics in the seller's post and I think your peep is set too far forward i.e. Low, and set for close shooting. I don't know how to move the peep backwards i.e. elevation.... looked it up and it appears it should slide with finger force but Old cosmoline may have it seized. Penetrating oil should loosen it up enough to slide it back.

And while I admit I lost out on this rifle by a smidge, I don't regret having to shell out for a new barrel. You might ask Velzey if those gouges can be tig welded and reground to flush.

Last Edited:
IMG_1460.JPG
This area should be flat, continuous with flats to left and right. It may have chipped out when a tool pried against it trying to get the brass out, or maybe damage from long before. Still nice gun for nice price.

I looked at the pics in the seller's post and I think your peep is set too far forward i.e. Low, and set for close shooting. I don't know how to move the peep backwards i.e. elevation.... looked it up and it appears it should slide with finger force but Old cosmoline may have it seized. Penetrating oil should loosen it up enough to slide it back.

And while I admit I lost out on this rifle by a smidge, I don't regret having to shell out for a new barrel. You might ask Velzey if those gouges can be tig welded and reground to flush.

Im taking it into NW Custom on Monday.
Hopefully good news, but Im almost ready to drop the $$ on a bbl..

The sight moves freely, even with the sight pushed back to 300 Im still getting a lot of handguard.
Saw picture of some others online and it looks like the groove is cut deeper on some others, almost down flush with the cap.

Im taking it into NW Custom on Monday.
Hopefully good news, but Im almost ready to drop the $$ on a bbl..

The sight moves freely, even with the sight pushed back to 300 Im still getting a lot of handguard.
Saw picture of some others online and it looks like the groove is cut deeper on some others, almost down flush with the cap.

New forearm covers aren't expensive. You could also just sand the channel deeper and oil refinish or consider an Ultmimak forend with a scout rail.

This area should be flat, continuous with flats to left and right. It may have chipped out when a tool pried against it trying to get the brass out, or maybe damage from long before. Still nice gun for nice price.

OK, I see now, a sliver missing somehow. I suppose that damages value to a collector, but I agree it's cosmetic as a shooter.

I can't say how many thousands of rounds I've shot through mine in the last three decades. They are a fun little rifle; in some ways they are the original PCC. People seem to either love them or hate them, not a lot of ambivalence for the old carbine.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top