JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've never seen anyone cited for leaving trash much less shooting steel during fire season.

Just ensure you have a good dirt backstop and area around and below your target.

Curious why rounds cost so much more than gongs. Can you set up steel challenge caps and just hook the gong to one ear?
Waste.

Square gongs cut out of a square sheet of steel equals less waste material.

Circles cut out of the same square sheet, produce more waste material.

Thor targets are good, but you might try a local steel yard for the same AR 500 targets. Down here we have Coyote Steel and they sell the targets for cheap in all sorts of shapes and sizes , you do have to paint them yourself and figure out the stand but that IMHO is no big deal.

Refreshing an old thread as opposed to starting a new one...
I am going to buy some steel targets and one of my concerns is for a loud ping when the target is struck, my hearing or eyesight is not as good as when younger. Primary usage is pistol, 9mm & 45acp at 25 yards. Is there a difference in 1/4" - 3/8" - 1/2" as far a sound is concerned?

Thinking about buying a set like this.

I am going to buy some steel targets and one of my concerns is for a loud ping when the target is struck, my hearing or eyesight is not as good as when younger. Primary usage is pistol, 9mm & 45acp at 25 yards. Is there a difference in 1/4" - 3/8" - 1/2" as far a sound is concerned?

I don't know that different AR 500 targets make different sounds? Different thickness? Seems likely. But thinner may translate to less durable too. We use a 10", 3/8" thickness Thor target. It handles .30-06, ar 15 and Swede Mauser at 75 yards with barely some dimpling. We move it in to about 40'-50' sometimes to put 9mm, .40 and 45acp into it.

Interesting question. I never paid attention. Will say that they can make quite different tones based on size that's for sure. They need to make some steel targets that act like a tuning fork, that would do it!

I noticed these but cylindrical shape kind that say they are louder but it kind of woudl worry me about deflected shrapnel maybe due to their shape? I always use hanging gong flat ar500 type.

I USE 3/8 AR500 IBOUGHT THIS FROM AMAZON

HOLDS UP WELL BUT GREEN TIPS DID PUNCH A COUPLE GOOD CRATERS BUT I THINK THIS WILL LAST YEARS. WE PUT ABOUT 700 ROUNDS IN THIS W 223/556 @ LANE 4 AT WOLF CREEK SO WHAT ABOUT 70-80 YRDS?

I FIND THE HOSTAGE RING QUITE FUN TO DO. ONCE HIT IT FLOPS TO OTHER SIDE.

I USE 3/8 AR500 IBOUGHT THIS FROM AMAZON

HOLDS UP WELL BUT GREEN TIPS DID PUNCH A COUPLE GOOD CRATERS BUT I THINK THIS WILL LAST YEARS. WE PUT ABOUT 700 ROUNDS IN THIS W 223/556 @ LANE 4 AT WOLF CREEK SO WHAT ABOUT 70-80 YRDS?

I FIND THE HOSTAGE RING QUITE FUN TO DO. ONCE HIT IT FLOPS TO OTHER SIDE.
Looks fun to practice with...
Reactive style targets are enjoyable to shoot, it's nice to get the immediate reaction.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top