JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking to branch out from punching paper to slapping steel. I will be shooting .22LR, 9mm, .223, and .308.

For the .223 and .308, I'll be looking to shoot out to 800 yards and 1000 yards, respectively.

It is probable that I'll be huffing the targets out to their homes on a shooting day somewhere on BLM land and packing them back up to go. Lighter is better in this regard.

What type would you use, AR500 or 550?

How thick would you go?

I think a hanging target stand makes a lot of sense...am I right or is there a better method? I'll probably end up building my own target stand...especially for a hanging target that I have to walk out to distance. Is there anything I should be concerned about for the stand as far as overall weight or design?

I've also read about angling the target down to prevent bad ricochets...how does one do that, exactly, with a hanging target? (Or is it unnecessary because the impact will push in and the target will give?)

Thanks for any experience you share,

I'm about to head into a meeting, but I've had good experiences from Shooting Targets 7 (AR500 Steel Targets | ShootingTargets7.com). Even half inch AR500 will get craters from .223 or magnum pistol rounds at 25 yards (no problem with 9mm at that range with either 3/8" or 1/2"). 800 or 1000 yards? Probably good with most projectiles, within reason. For 22lr, I like their Know Your Limits (KYL) rimfire target. It was challenging enough I had to buy a new rifle and scope so I didn't feel so inadequate.

As for stands, I bought the Last Stand (Why This Target Stand? | The Last Stand), which has green brackets made out of self healing target material. You use lengths of rebar and its fairly portable. Only problem is the material gets full of shrapnel and a bit pokey as you use it, but it holds up. Chain hangers and hang the targets angled down slightly so any lead splash or ricochet is in the dirt. Let the target settle before shooting again or it might send lead back at you. I use a couple 8" 3/8" plates and a 4" 1/2" plate aside from the KYL target.

Other non-paper targets I enjoy are clay pigeons against a background, like a berm, and the self healing ground bouncers.

Hope that helps. I'd stay and chat more but gotta run. Good luck!

I have a decent amount of ar500 on my range. 12in gongs to 4in plates in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 inches. I actually prefer the 1/4 in plates in all regards. They are more reactive, louder when hit, and easier to move. I've shot mine with 30-06 at 75 yards with no cratering. Also used 556 green tip and some magnetic 762x54r; that 1/4in plate is still as good as new 10 years later.

1/2" will last forever. I've got 10 year old 1/2" targets that are in remarkably good condition. They have seen countless tens of thousands of rounds.

Either 3/8" or 1/2" will suit your needs. 500 or 550 will also suit your needs.

More importantly than the target itself, in my opinion, the stands

I used to be a fan of hanging targets on some form of bar with chains.

I moved on to 2x4 stands and never looked back.

Even when hiking this type of stand out to 400-600 yards, I can do it by myself and it's not too overwhelming. The hanging stands required more poles, 2 for each side of legs, 1 for the center. Usually long poles too. Usually rebar. It was awkward carrying that stuff long distances. I prefer the stake in base for this. As I can have the target attached, and the stake in base attached to the 2x4 slung over my shoulder. So I'm carrying one thing vs multiples.

Amazon has most name brands selling on their site now. You can get virtually everything you need from them. One brand to look for, as they make great 2x4 stands, is AR500 Solutions. That company has my favorite base, it's 4 pieces of steel that interconnect to make a solid base for a 2x4.
1591220851934.jpeg
1591220881649.jpeg They tear down in a jiffy and are easier to transport in a vehicle than other bases, minus the stake in type. The stake in type are great for long distance shooting as I use 2' or 3' 2x4s.The target weighs a ton but since it isn't above the ground more than 2-3' it holds up to the abuse and doesn't need a wide stance like a target at 5' shooting pistol rounds would.
1591221054974.jpeg

I'm looking to branch out from punching paper to slapping steel. I will be shooting .22LR, 9mm, .223, and .308.

For the .223 and .308, I'll be looking to shoot out to 800 yards and 1000 yards, respectively.

It is probable that I'll be huffing the targets out to their homes on a shooting day somewhere on BLM land and packing them back up to go. Lighter is better in this regard.

What type would you use, AR500 or 550?

How thick would you go?

I think a hanging target stand makes a lot of sense...am I right or is there a better method? I'll probably end up building my own target stand...especially for a hanging target that I have to walk out to distance. Is there anything I should be concerned about for the stand as far as overall weight or design?

I've also read about angling the target down to prevent bad ricochets...how does one do that, exactly, with a hanging target? (Or is it unnecessary because the impact will push in and the target will give?)

Thanks for any experience you share,
Some excellent info. if u have not seen. Some are short. Some are older than others but all are educational imo.

Picked up a couple plates from Thor Targets in Albany and they have held up well to 308.
Albany is a bit of a drive just to hit up a store...but there is some camping down that way that I was hoping to do...I'll have to check it out next time I'm there. Thanks for the tip,

1/2" will last forever. I've got 10 year old 1/2" targets that are in remarkably good condition. They have seen countless tens of thousands of rounds.

Either 3/8" or 1/2" will suit your needs. 500 or 550 will also suit your needs.

More importantly than the target itself, in my opinion, the stands

I used to be a fan of hanging targets on some form of bar with chains.

I moved on to 2x4 stands and never looked back.

Even when hiking this type of stand out to 400-600 yards, I can do it by myself and it's not too overwhelming. The hanging stands required more poles, 2 for each side of legs, 1 for the center. Usually long poles too. Usually rebar. It was awkward carrying that stuff long distances. I prefer the stake in base for this. As I can have the target attached, and the stake in base attached to the 2x4 slung over my shoulder. So I'm carrying one thing vs multiples.

Amazon has most name brands selling on their site now. You can get virtually everything you need from them. One brand to look for, as they make great 2x4 stands, is AR500 Solutions. That company has my favorite base, it's 4 pieces of steel that interconnect to make a solid base for a 2x4.
View attachment 705545
View attachment 705548They tear down in a jiffy and are easier to transport in a vehicle than other bases, minus the stake in type. The stake in type are great for long distance shooting as I use 2' or 3' 2x4s.The target weighs a ton but since it isn't above the ground more than 2-3' it holds up to the abuse and doesn't need a wide stance like a target at 5' shooting pistol rounds would.
View attachment 705556

Have you found that the interconnected base stands up well to close range 9mm fire and midrange .223/.308 at heights of ~5 to 6 feet? Do they need base support or are they pretty well bombproof?

For rifle shooting, I use the shooting targets 7 f24 brackets with emt legs and the rubber strap hanging kit. I carry the targets and brackets in a backpack, and the 2x4 and emt legs in my hands. It's great if you have to setup on uneven ground. I have a dueling tree with an x base, and it's hard to get it setup properly if the ground isn't flat and level. I really like the rubber straps because you can hit them several times without them breaking. First time I went shooting with my friends steel targets, he had chains holding them and he managed to shoot and break the chain right away.

For pistol, I have a dueling tree, which is fun, but if I had to do it again, I would probably get multiple single targets that I could set up in various spots to make the shooting more dynamic.
View attachment trim.FE14C737-4D2A-47AB-9B35-124D233F698A.MOV

Have you found that the interconnected base stands up well to close range 9mm fire and midrange .223/.308 at heights of ~5 to 6 feet? Do they need base support or are they pretty well bombproof?

They will lose the fight to rust before anything else.

Perfectly stable with a 3/4 size target (40# or more) on a 5' 2x4. They do have notches in them if you want to stake them down for extra support.

Albany is a bit of a drive just to hit up a store...but there is some camping down that way that I was hoping to do...I'll have to check it out next time I'm there. Thanks for the tip,

I have the Thor targets. There's several places around town that carry them.. Curt's does. 10" @$40.00 Call Thor and they will tell you who has them. If that dealer is out at the time Thor will get one to them in a day or three.

I don't see how anyone could ever destroy a Thor without shooting REALLY serious stuff at closer range. I'v shot mine at 75, probably the closest, .30-06 just leaves a little divot. I did however lose an ear on the 10" 3/8 target. We were shooting with a group after a clean-up and several of us were getting busy on it. It took a hit to the ear and cracked on side. that was probably 2 years ago. It let go a month ago at the range. Never hit the ear again, just the shock fro the Garand broke it. I can still use it with a hook on a stand though.

@Hueco another thing to consider when looking to purchase the targets themselves.

You are going to eventually get to do your TCGC new member orientation. Once your in and get your action range cert, you can use your own steel targets on the action bays using TCGC stands. They require good AR500 with one hole to be used with their stands. Multiple holes for various stand attachments will be seen as damage and possible ricochet points.

1591286455888.jpeg

@Hueco another thing to consider when looking to purchase the targets themselves.

You are going to eventually get to do your TCGC new member orientation. Once your in and get your action range cert, you can use your own steel targets on the action bays using TCGC stands. They require good AR500 with one hole to be used with their stands. Multiple holes for various stand attachments will be seen as damage and possible ricochet points.

View attachment 705963
That right there, is a $1000 tip. You just saved me a good deal of money - thank you for that. Beers definitely are on me now.

Another thing about steel targets, which you probably know already:
  • SS109 or other steel core projectiles will destroy them quickly.
  • Use gloves when handling them. On all my 1/2" plates, the bullet pulverizes on impact leaving lead all over the surface. You have little ones, be safe.
  • 1/2" will not ring nearly as loudly as 3/8 or quarter.
  • I use legs/pipe/chain and shepherd's hooks. It sucks. Every time I have gone shooting with @Reno, I have admired how smooth his setup and takedown is. He's the man.

1) ALWAYS---ALWAYS---ALWAYS---WEAR EYE PROTECTION----YOU AND ANYONE WITH YOU!!!!

2) Do NOT get caught shooting steel targets on BLM land with any jacketed ammo during fire season. Although they are most often not seen or even heard of, BLM Rangers are out and about and Can and Will cite you.

Just my 2 cents that you can take any way you would like to. :D

1) ALWAYS---ALWAYS---ALWAYS---WEAR EYE PROTECTION----YOU AND ANYONE WITH YOU!!!!

2) Do NOT get caught shooting steel targets on BLM land with any jacketed ammo during fire season. Although they are most often not seen or even heard of, BLM Rangers are out and about and Can and Will cite you.

Just my 2 cents that you can take any way you would like to. :D

So, is any shooting steel during dry season citable or specifically jacketed ammo? I imagine they're just worried about fires being started inadvertently?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top