JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Good people,

I have a Smith & Wesson 442, with the onboard lock. It's got that black paint finish newer Smiths have.

Like every other newer j frame, the finish on mine is beat all to hell and gone. It has numerous chips and scratches, almost as if it has lived in my pocket for several years. :)

I'm interested in hearing what my refinishing options might be. In a perfect world, I'd wind up with something that looks like an old gloss blue but that wears harder. I could probably live with shiny black, if it's hard wearing.

Any ideas? I hear good things about Cerakote, but other posts I've read suggest it can't do a real close match to gloss blue.

I'd also appreciate recommendations for Oregon folks who do the work. Thanks!

Thank you gents.

Have to admit, the banged up finish looks good with the set of old magna grips I have on it right now. Guess I could call it patina and call it good.

I inherited another 442 from my father, with their silver finish. My Dad never carried it, but I've toted it for a few months. The finish is wearing in the exact same way.

These are the only two pistols I've pocket carried. Everything else has been in a belt holster. I think lint and abrasive whatnot easily finds it's way into my pocket holster.

If you brought it in to us we would either hot blue it or cerakote it. You can do a bead blast and blue which will give you a matte black finish. You can do a nice shiny finish but now it is not economical at that point. You can also do a black cerakote which will give you a nice satin finish, or we can do bright purple or prison pink if you want lol :)

442 is the alloy frame, so spray on coatings are your option. I've seen some cerakote colors that are close to bluing, but nothing gets it perfect.

With wood grips, the midnight blue color looks pretty nice.

442 is the alloy frame, so spray on coatings are your option. I've seen some cerakote colors that are close to bluing, but nothing gets it perfect.

With wood grips, the midnight blue color looks pretty nice.

With alloy, wouldn't he be able to have it hard anodized? The steel parts, like the cylinder and barrel could be blued or cerakoted?

He could possibly have it anodized, but he'd have to find someone to pull the barrel and steel pins out of the frame. Pretty sure only aluminum can go in the anodizing tank.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top