JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've written down many of the shifter components names many here have mentioned. My Costco special isn't anything to brag about, likely extremely far from that, but it's shifting components work well. So I'm not exactly the right person to know what is amazing and what is Walmart quality in those categories.

I've looked at some electric bikes in the price ranges of some of the bikes mentioned here. As much as I think electric is totally cheating, I think if I were to spend over $1000 for a bicycle, it would be electric.

I think these are cool from Juiced bikes. Another American company. Juiced Bikes - Best Performance Electric Bikes On The Market

HyperScorpion-3QuarterRight-Blue_1080x.jpg campscrambler_1296x_9c28827b-58c1-44f5-bed0-cae634bd67d4_1080x.jpg
CCS2_1_c1356ee8-bf53-4749-8ba8-2fa38f244aea_1080x.jpg

A lot of good info here.

I question, do you have any maintenance skills with bikes? If you do, maybe you can buy framesets and components and put it together. I have not bought a complete bike new in over 20 years, I upgrade my own bikes as well as put them together. There are good bike sites to shop from.

For your type of riding you described, a cross-trek sounds good or a 29er rigid mtn bike. You can swap out the wheels for different trails, skinny to wide tires.

There are aslo a lot of re-sale volunteer bike Co-ops in big cities that sell components and frames for cheap, sometimes volunteering some hours gets you a complete bike. I do not think a hybrid is what you want. Perhaps you want a bike style you can push yourself with when the toddler is not with you (a mtn bike), and learn to bunny hop a pubble of mud (a mtn bike), or be able to take-on more un-avoidable pot-hole hits, they happen (a mtn bike).

Plus, you want hydralic disc brakes! The wheels will lock up when properly calibrated (but it does not mean you will stop) ;):D. Caliper brakes when wet many times do not stop in time.

I've been following an indiegogo bike.

A lot of good info here.

I question, do you have any maintenance skills with bikes? If you do, maybe you can buy framesets and components and put it together. I have not bought a complete bike new in over 20 years, I upgrade my own bikes as well as put them together. There are good bike sites to shop from.

For your type of riding you described, a cross-trek sounds good or a 29er rigid mtn bike. You can swap out the wheels for different trails, skinny to wide tires.

There are aslo a lot of re-sale volunteer bike Co-ops in big cities that sell components and frames for cheap, sometimes volunteering some hours gets you a complete bike. I do not think a hybrid is what you want. Perhaps you want a bike style you can push yourself with when the toddler is not with you (a mtn bike), and learn to bunny hop a pubble of mud (a mtn bike), or be able to take-on more un-avoidable pot-hole hits, they happen (a mtn bike).

Plus, you want hydralic disc brakes! The wheels will lock up when properly calibrated (but it does not mean you will stop) ;):D. Caliper brakes when wet many times do not stop in time.

if you're using Koolstop salmon pads caliper and cantilever brakes stop just fine . Disc brakes do have an edge in wet weather but there is no significant advantage in dry weather To discs . It's been tested by a lot of experts and verified to be true.

The biggest advantage to disc brakes is the superior modulation and the fact that rim wear and cracking is not a factor . However disc brakes are heavier and bent rotor will end your ride , you can adjust out a set of calipers or cantis to accommodate a wheel that gets a little warp in it and continue riding if you have to .

everything is a trade off with bikes . There is no free lunches .

if you're using Koolstop salmon pads caliper and cantilever brakes stop just fine . Disc brakes do have an edge in wet weather but there is no significant advantage in dry weather To discs . It's been tested by a lot of experts and verified to be true.

The biggest advantage to disc brakes is the superior modulation and the fact that rim wear and cracking is not a factor . However disc brakes are heavier and bent rotor will end your ride , you can adjust out a set of calipers or cantis to accommodate a wheel that gets a little warp in it and continue riding if you have to .

everything is a trade off with bikes . There is no free lunches .
I have had a lot of "accidents" with my bikes w/ disc brakes and never managed to bend one, I know it can happen. Good points.

The terrain you ride on will determine your tire needs, the hills you climb will determine your gearing needs/also leg strength, and unless youre riding in the wet mud often your rim brakes/vs disks wont be an issue. Once upon a time I was the costco guy that always got called over the radio to assist members with bike choices, the bikes there are fine for casual use. The only returns we had were for derailier issues "member said it wont shift right", due to the fact that there is a little screw that can be hand turned to fix that issue, and in a rarer instance use a little wrench to adjust the cable wire. Some folks out there dont know how to tinker with stuff, like the person who returned a kayak with the complaint of "it tips over in water".:D

If you live close to the Banks-Vernonia trail your are also close to Stub Stewart state park with some really nice trails. Get a good downhill mountain bike

IMG_20200601_175250.jpg
and a nice toddler seat
Toddlerseat.jpg

and maybe not tell your wife :)

Yikes, down hill!

It, in my opinion, is about the same as me getting a dirt bike.

Dirt bike or down hill mountain bike, both equate to a dead or at last seriously injured version of me.

On the positive side, if you take a spill and your mountain bike lands on top of you you are probably better off than if your dirt bike does the same. Another thing to consider is all the exercise you get going downhill without even noticing. Totally different from pedaling uphill and way more fun.

On the positive side, if you take a spill and your mountain bike lands on top of you you are probably better off than if your dirt bike does the same. Another thing to consider is all the exercise you get going downhill without even noticing. Totally different from pedaling uphill and way more fun.
Oh, I'd love to try it. I'm just the type that tends to push myself to the edge and sometimes over it. I'm getting older and that spells death more now than it used to.

Keep an eye on this link. They have a lot of nice bikes that come thru. You have to keep checking back though. You will eventually find the bike you want. never a good reason to pay retail.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Err I was thinking, $600 seems a nice amount to spend.

In 1988 has a newly divorced 31 year old guy in great shape, I decided that Cycle Oregon might be a bit of fun. I had a $ 99 Huffy Mountain bike of some kind or another and already had a couple hundred miles on it. I signed up, geared up and off I went. One flat tire and some minor brake adjustments is all I had to do to that bike and put about 500 miles on it in 6 days.

It got me to towns ahead of the pack of $ 1,000 bicycles to the taverns before the crowds, first spot in the chow lines, best camping spots and never left me beside the road. I rode that bicycle probably 4,000 miles or more, did Cycle Oregon again on it in 1989 and one of my boys used it hunting for a couple years before it finally wore out.

Yikes, down hill!

It, in my opinion, is about the same as me getting a dirt bike.

Dirt bike or down hill mountain bike, both equate to a dead or at last seriously injured version of me.
Hahaha
Dirt biking blows bikes out of the water and they are very safe when you understand how to ride them properly

Clackamas cycle world sells specialized and does life time tune ups,
might not have a specific model in stock but can get one in a week or soo.
Ask for Bob.
Thanks, hoping to find something similar in this side of town. But if I have to I'll travel.

I have Felt Carbon 29" wheel hardtail. I think I like the carbon over my previous alum and steel framed bikes. Also the 29" wheels roll better over bumps and is more responsive than a full suspension setup IMO

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top