JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If one is going relatively "old school", as in the 1990s-2000s MTB bikes, there are a few reputable frame sets and builders that would still be better than the box store bikes and gas pipe cheapies.

Specialized

Trek

Bridgestone (Grant Petersen years, before Rivendell Cycles)

Mountain Goat-not many made, expect to pay a premium for some models

Giant, the early ones I want to say?

Gary Fisher

Surly

Some Diamondback models

Edit; many of these would be $150 at the cheapest to anywhere over $600, depending on condition and quality of the parts

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Err I was thinking, $600 seems a nice amount to spend.

You will not get much bike new for $600 , a decent quality starter bike will run double that or a little more. Having said that you can as I said earlier buy a very high quality used bike for $600 or less, but if you that amount to the LBS for a new bike what you will end up with will be underwhelming to say the least.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Err I was thinking, $600 seems a nice amount to spend.
I have a 1998 Klein. Out of biz now. I paid $1,700 back then. Used it's worth maybe $400.00
It's better than any $1,000 new bike these days.
Used is way beat way to go. Bike dorks with money to blow buy new bikes every 2-3 years.

You will not get much bike new for $600 , a decent quality starter bike will run double that or a little more. Having said that you can as I said earlier buy a very high quality used bike for $600 or less, but if you that amount to the LBS for a new bike what you will end up with will be underwhelming to say the least.
Damn, that Specialized in my OP was listed on their site for $600. So I was thinking that was kind of the going rate for something like this. I don't see myself buying something more that $800. I'm just not that into it to spend that much.

I used to ride a lot. As I'm getting dangerously close to 70, I don't ride nearly as much as I did in older times.

There are many excellent choices. I've owned many. I now own an Electra Townie. I believe it's the finest bicycle I've ever owned, regardless of price or style.

It's only a 7-speed, but there's such a huge difference between low and high gear, 7-speeds is plenty.:s0155:

I have a Trek Soho 3 bike that I bought about 9 years ago now. I have added a rack and have two Ortlieb waterproof panniers. Nice bike and I was riding 34 miles round trip per day to work. I put two super bright flashing tail lights and bright white rechargeable headlight. I also added another water bottle holder so carry two water bottles. When it gets super warm I would wear a Camelback on my back.

Since it rains I keeps street clothes on one bag and bike clothes, spare inner tubes, and some tools so I can change a flat tire in the other bag. Since I use a armored Schwalbe tires I only had a flat once.

9BC27492-A0CE-440B-A240-815AAB0E9D2E.jpeg

Yeah man, with your budget get a used Surly on craigslist in your size and take it to a bike shop for a tune up.

Getting a Surly like this is the equivalent of buying a solid Sig P229 or G19 used

Lots of Truth here , a good used Cross Check will serve you will and will accommodate various riding style choices. They do well on gravel and pavement are a commuter gold standard in bicycles. My daily ride to and from work before working home is a Surly LHT and it deals with all of the abuse and rigors associated with commuting. I even used it last year on a gravel ride in central oregon over by Tumalo on ended up being a lot a single track . Surly bikes are over built but will serve you well.

Well it's good to know a good bike will run a bit more than I initially expected.

I'll definitely have to get into a bicycle shop and check out some of the recommended brands and such.

I ride a road bike, 2013 cannondale caad 8, 105 groupset. I am not a racer, I just like to go fast on paved trails. Off road/gravel, i have a 2007 specialized mt bike for that, base groupset. I think a hybrid, used off craigslist or such would work well for your kid towing needs. Look for shimano components, 105 is great, a lower set isnt bad either, its just weight savings and how smooth the shifting can be. Figure out what frame size best fits your size and search away.

I've written down many of the shifter components names many here have mentioned. My Costco special isn't anything to brag about, likely extremely far from that, but it's shifting components work well. So I'm not exactly the right person to know what is amazing and what is Walmart quality in those categories.

I've looked at some electric bikes in the price ranges of some of the bikes mentioned here. As much as I think electric is totally cheating, I think if I were to spend over $1000 for a bicycle, it would be electric.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top