JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I picked up a (well used) Plainfield M1 carbine last Friday and spent most of last weekend tearing it down, ordering parts, and cussing the bolt assembly as I was putting it back together. I ordered some Lee dies and Starline brass, and I have some range brass I've picked up here and there. I also have some 110gr plated projectiles from Everglades I want to try, as well as some h110 and IMR4227.

Anybody have experience with these powders? What about the trim length on the brass? All the brass I have is shorter than the trim to length in the manuals, including the brand new Starline brass. Trim to is listed as 1.286", but I have lengths varying from 1.274" to 1.285". I haven't sized any yet; I'm wondering if this is one of those brass types that actually shortens on firing.

School me.

Lots of excellent Carbine Forums. It would take me hours for just a summary presentation. I do not have that much time. Carbine brass stretches. We trimmed to 1.285. Do not hand load brass shorter than 1.280. Is your receiver USGI? The other parts? What is your exact head space? Has a good Carbine gunsmith gone through your new gun? A hundred other questions. Respectfully.

Last Edited:
The best advice I can give you is to reload to as close to GI spec's as you can for a while until you learn the round your self. I load for both my Inland GI carbine and my Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine I load 90 to 125 grain slugs and I won't give anyone reloading data cause I don't know there firearm.

Off a bench rest if your carbine is in good condition expect 4" groups at 50 yards. if its in really good shape and you have really good eyes maybe 3.5" At one hundred yards they will be an effective man stopper.

The best advice I can give you is to reload to as close to GI spec's as you can for a while until you learn the round your self. I load for both my Inland GI carbine and my Ruger Blackhawk in .30 carbine I load 90 to 125 grain slugs and I won't give anyone reloading data cause I don't know there firearm.

Off a bench rest if your carbine is in good condition expect 4" groups at 50 yards. if its in really good shape and you have really good eyes maybe 3.5" At one hundred yards they will be an effective man stopper.
Yeah it's more of a project. Hands on learning. There's no hurry and working within established data is fine. It was cheap will make a decent shooter. Someday I'll fond a nicer all usgi one and by then I'll know more about them.

I was told by a man with a table full of .30 carbine stuff at a gun show that bent my ear for a good half an hour on the .30 M1 Carbine. He made a statement to me about resizing the brass. He said: The lee shell holder seems to be a little loose compared to others, and that I would risk pulling rims of the brass with a Lee shell holder. He also recommended punching the primers before sizing, and using a scosh of lube when sizing.

I haven't reloaded for mine yet but I will. And that brass of yours should be sized before measuring.

You really should put some pics up if you can, I really like the .30 Carbine and always listen with interest when there's discussion here.

I love the little guns. Just don't know much about reloading for them. Or reloading in general.

But I am following this thread. And based on the severity of my Alzheimer's. I may learn something. ;)

Sorry friend, I just figured you reloaded for them too. :oops:

It's nothing to write home about. It needs a new rear sight and a real butt plate and a few screws. I'm hoping to shoot it tomorrow to make sure everything functions before I start reloading for it. I have some IMI soft points. Message_1489290644121.jpg

I've loaded many thousands of rounds of .30 carbine over the decades. I love the little rifle, and so does my son. Yes, it's obsolete as a combat arm, and not terribly accurate in general, but it's just fun to shoot.

Both of those powders should work fine. I've also used Accurate #9, 2400, and WC820. I've shot jacketed, plated, cast, and powder coated bullets. The brass definitely tends to grow. I've trimmed a heck of a lot of carbine brass over the years.

I've loaded many thousands of rounds of .30 carbine over the decades. I love the little rifle, and so does my son. Yes, it's obsolete as a combat arm, and not terribly accurate in general, but it's just fun to shoot.

Both of those powders should work fine. I've also used Accurate #9, 2400, and WC820. I've shot jacketed, plated, cast, and powder coated bullets. The brass definitely tends to grow. I've trimmed a heck of a lot of carbine brass over the years.
Thank you:). I didn't get to try it this weekend my parts don't get here until tomorrow. I'm waiting for a buttplate and a rear sight and a couple screws. Everything seems to function/eject and the firing pin works on a blank. I want to try some of the IMI factory ammo I have before I try loading for it.

I have reloaded and shot several thousand M-1 Carbine. I find my reload
shoots a tighter group than factory GI LC ammo. 110 grain RN-FMJ
and 12 grains H110. Clean burning . H110 is my favorite powder for
357 and 44 magnum loads. Not a heavy load. The Speer manual
lists 12.0 to 14.0 grains for the 110 bullet weight. As always check
all load recipes with published data.:rolleyes: My Postal Meter
P1000052.JPG

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT