JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a bulgarian AK which runs flawlessly but I know nothing about which ones are good and which ones are bad. I have a friend looking to buy one. Can some one tell me what I should tell him he should be looking for? This will be his ONLY gun and I want to make darn sure he gets a good one. Thanks Jason

Well if his budget is of no concern Arsenal by far makes the most authentic reproduction and might I add beautiful akm rifles. The strip down the imported neutered but completely russian manufactured and chrome lined rifles. But really you cant go wrong with 99% of the akm rifles out there. Only suggestion, get one chambered for 7.62 x39.. 5.45 x39 is a waste of time, get a stamped receiver over the milled, get good furniture for her. As I've stated in other posts the akm rifle is my platform of choice.

They are all good if they are built correctly in the first place.You can choose calibers,5.45,5.56 or 7.62.Most prefer the 5.45 and the 7.62.Even a WASR can be a perfect reliable shooter.I guess it boils down to what he wants.The overall looks,caliber and type is what he can start with.The best bet is to have it in his hands to fondle it before forking any ducats down.

The Arsenal brand is a good one but, do you really want to spend that much on an AK?

What I'm getting at is...........

It's only an AK. AKs aren't known to be super accurate vs. an AR platform rifle. Ammo is getting more expensive and look at the availability of ammo for feeding your baby. Magazines are also getting more expensive. Then, do you have plans on reloading?

OK........for me.........if I was getting only one (AK) then, I'd want the classic full stock version w/o the "tactical stuff" added. And, I'd probably want to spend less because, "that's me."

As my son likes to say, "Dirty scratched up gun. Hell....it's only an AK."

Aloha, Mark

$800 is not bad with all the options if you look at the price of new ones. Here is current going rate although you sometimes can find them cheaper. K-Var Corp. ™

I currently have both the SGL20 and 21 and have them found to be some of the best AKs I have owned.

I will admit I got them when they were a lot cheaper than they are today. The reason the price is going up is they work and when things work people buy them causing the demand to go and then the price.

Are they worth it that call is up to you but I feel they are? I will admit I have had several brands and the all worked well with no problems but the Arsenal's have been more accurate and the fit and finish is so much better. And I do like the fact they have a chrome line bore and chamber. Very few do any more.

AIM surplus has mags for $11.99 Surplus European Steel AK47 7.62x39 30rd Magazines (about 13.90 with shipping) the price just went up on these from 9.99 and ammo is just as easy to get as 5.56 as I have owned both.

It's your call if it is the best choice for you but I feel mine are worth it.

" you heard china built ones are junk"

really what about the mak-90 imo one of the best out there and I own 3 diffrent ones.... out of the 3 I have the mak is the only one id never sell,get rid of!

really what about the mak-90 imo one of the best out there and I own 3 diffrent ones.... out of the 3 I have the mak is the only one id never sell,get rid of!

I was going to say the same... My Norinco Mak90 is something I wont ever sell. Go for a Pre Ban Poly-Tech Legend? Now there is a nice rifle that will cost you an arm and a leg.... Seems the word on the street is that Wasr's are the junkers, but thats not always true either...

This is exactly the gun I was refering to a friend has one for sale and it's what got my other friend interested in the AK platform. His is junk the sights are WAY off and it's accuracy is noting compared to mine. Maybe he just got a bad one? I have so little exsperience with the AK. I have one and I love it and it's a freaking machine you can't stop. Ammo is hell cheep and easy to get so I thought it would be great for my friend if he was only going to own one gun.

Arsenal SGL31-61

5.45 X 39

2160 rounds of ammo for 290.00 shipped to your door.

If you do go this route, be advised that you will have to shell out some cash as the mil surplus magazines have dried up. The AK47 mags are easier to find, but this platform offers the absolute best bang for your buck ammo wise.

I was going to say the same... My Norinco Mak90 is something I wont ever sell. Go for a Pre Ban Poly-Tech Legend? Now there is a nice rifle that will cost you an arm and a leg.... Seems the word on the street is that Wasr's are the junkers, but thats not always true either...

I use to own a Poly Tech Legend.........it sat in my safe for a long time and I sold it in 2005 for $1300 still unfired. I laugh about it now because it was just too pretty to shoot. What a waste (actually, I almost doubled my money).

My SAR 1 on the other hand has seen useage. It's a pleasure to shoot something and not have to worry about it still being pretty after the shooting is done. Corrosive ammo....bring it on.

Aloha, Mark

PS....my son says that he gets trigger slap from the SAR 1 but, I don't feel it.

I have a Bulgarian Underfolder by Ewbank Mfg.. All the google searches come up as then being junk. Mine shots all the time. It just works. My best friends WASR that he bought for $425 "new", has never gave him a problem in 2000 or so rounds. An Arsenal or Norinco may be nicer, and made with better parts, but, if for $500-750 you can get a good rifle, why not. I would not trade my $5-600 Bulgarian for a Arsenal, if I wasn't looking to make money. AKs are suppose to have wood stocks, finish wear, and shoot steel cased ammo. Not be safe queens. By a solid stamped rifle and shoot the piss out of it. Spend money on mags and ammo.

I have a Bulgarian Underfolder by Ewbank Mfg.. All the google searches come up as then being junk. Mine shots all the time. It just works. My best friends WASR that he bought for $425 "new", has never gave him a problem in 2000 or so rounds. An Arsenal or Norinco may be nicer, and made with better parts, but, if for $500-750 you can get a good rifle, why not. I would not trade my $5-600 Bulgarian for a Arsenal, if I wasn't looking to make money. AKs are suppose to have wood stocks, finish wear, and shoot steel cased ammo. Not be safe queens. By a solid stamped rifle and shoot the piss out of it. Spend money on mags and ammo.
What he said. If you have a chance to look before you buy and make sure there are no canted sights, or more importantly ground to fit trunnions, than it should be a good to go rifle for years upon years. Just make sure to clean it every 2-5000 rnds.

and try and stay away from corrosive ammo. Steel is fine just make sure it is not corrosive for everyones sake including your guns

Well if his budget is of no concern Arsenal by far makes the most authentic reproduction and might I add beautiful akm rifles. The strip down the imported neutered but completely russian manufactured and chrome lined rifles. But really you cant go wrong with 99% of the akm rifles out there. Only suggestion, get one chambered for 7.62 x39.. 5.45 x39 is a waste of time, get a stamped receiver over the milled, get good furniture for her. As I've stated in other posts the akm rifle is my platform of choice.

If 5.45 X 39 is a waste of time why is that the latest round used in the AK? They certainly wouldn't change to something inferior. BTW, it's an AK-74 if it's 5.45 X 39.

IMHO..............

There is no need to be afraid of corrosive ammo if you clean your firearm properly after your shooting session.

Hot soapy water to clean the corrosive salts. Followed by Hoppe's 9 to clean the copper fouling. Then oil her down and you're GTG.

My son is in charge of cleaning. He shot it, he cleans it. LOL.

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads