JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a lower on the way and think I want to build a SBR. I know that there is the form one, engraving after stamp, don't buy the rest of the build parts(cya) until after the stamp is approved.
At the same time I think I want to jump into a suppressor for it.

Is this where and when I need a trust?
Should I do the suppressor paperwork at the same time?

I am in Oregon. Any other issues I need to be aware of?

I thoroughly documented my first time experience here and had a lightning quick process. This should cover most of what you're after. Let me know if you have any questions after reading this.

I thoroughly documented my first time experience here and had a lightning quick process. This should cover most of what you're after. Let me know if you have any questions after reading this.

I was looking through that earlier.

What attracted you to using those folks for the trust?

It seems a lot of people offer them and I'm not solid on the purpose of them. I think I understand the principle of why they exist.
Is there someplace I could read about them?
Or even a comparison of the different folks that do trusts?

It looks like your stamp came back in 6 weeks. That seems pretty damn quick.

The whole idea of the trust is what happens to the weapons when you pass and or do you want others to be able to use them. Wife and I keep toying with some cans. If / when we do we will first set up a trust. Put at least one of the kids on it even if they are not much interested in the NFA items. That way when we go they can do what they want with the stuff. From what I have been told if you just have a stamp, and you pass on, it's a problem for family to deal with the NFA items then. The trust just seems like a lot nice insurance for little cost compared to a couple or more stamps.

The whole idea of the trust is what happens to the weapons when you pass and or do you want others to be able to use them. Wife and I keep toying with some cans. If / when we do we will first set up a trust. Put at least one of the kids on it even if they are not much interested in the NFA items. That way when we go they can do what they want with the stuff. From what I have been told if you just have a stamp, and you pass on, it's a problem for family to deal with the NFA items then. The trust just seems like a lot nice insurance for little cost compared to a couple or more stamps.

That isn't really an issue. It can transfer tax free on a Form 5. The problem comes when they don't know the items exist and are suddenly in a position to do something and they have no idea what to do with them or who to talk to to get things resolved.

That isn't really an issue. It can transfer tax free on a Form 5. The problem comes when they don't know the items exist and are suddenly in a position to do something and they have no idea what to do with them or who to talk to to get things resolved.
I thought that was the main point of the trust, that the people on it do not have to then try to do a transfer. That they could still keep the weapon and go on as if the one who was gone was still around. If / When Wife and I finally get a couple cans we will find out but from what the couple dealers we talked to so far have told us we will pay the extra to do the trust by the time we actually lay out the cash for stamps.

Read this:

I have my trust in hand. I went to Sporting Systems and i couldnt be happier with the product and process.

I am now waiting on some suppressors that I am buying to get my prints done and i will fill out the form 1 then.

If you are buying a suppressor, then you'll be filling out and mailing in a Form 4.

Actually I'm filling out 3 form 4's.

I am also filling out a form 1 for the SBR.
I am waiting to do the form 1 until I have the neccesary prints and picture for the form 1.

My wait should start Monday.

Used to be, a trust was a way to get around having to do finger prints, send in a photo, and get LEO sign-off (all of which were required for an individual). It also made the process go a little faster, and for eFile it was the ONLY way you could do an eFile. Then they (ATF) changed that, so that any trustees named on the trust at the time of filing have to submit pictures and finger prints, and you now have to send a notification letter to LEO (but not get them to sign off - and that is the same for a private owner), so it sort of negated those benefits (and killed the eFile system for a long time). You can always simply remove all trustees from the trust except for yourself prior to sending in the applications, and then add said trustees back after you receive the stamps and then only one person has to submit the BCG info...but technically you can't add other trustees back to the trust while you have applications in process. At least that's how it was explained to me.

As others have mentioned, the Form 5 clears up what was once thought to be gray area about transferring items when an individual holder dies. So while that was often advertised as a reason to get a trust, it's not really necessary.

Other advantages to a trust are the avoidance of potential sticky legal predicament of someone else having unauthorized possession of an NFA item - scenarios such as your wife having the code to the safe where you keep those NFA items, or a buddy that you let shoot it while you are out at the range. Now, of course, a whole pile of other things have to go wrong for you to suddenly find yourself in the situation where those sort of charges are being thrown at you, but having those people named as beneficiary-trustees (either for a temporary duration or for an undefined term) would at least make that part of things perfectly kosher. Obviously, under this scenario, the trust is the cleanest/easiest way to share your NFA items with your wife (and kids, provided that they are of legal age to possess an NFA item).

Form 4's are brutally slow - I can remember my first one taking 14 months. Form 1s, on the other hand, have been insanely fast for some time now. That's a big part of why I ended up building my last two cans instead of buying them...I had stamps back in hand within 2 weeks of sending my applications (but that has been a couple of years now).

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top