JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like the idea...

Not sure about the RDBs... are they any good? Seemed like a novelty when they came out. I never had a bad experience with a KelTec... but still not sure it would be my go to for defending a school

I suppose if the ubiquitous AR15 wasnt an option, how about an M1A? Plenty of power, less threatening appearance for the snowflakes.
Kel-Tec: love it or hate it.
I have RDB-17, PMR-30 gen. 2, SUB-2000 gen. 2 with Glock 17 mag. All three shoot great. The only issue I had with PMR-30 is rimlocking, which has gone once I bought American Speedlosders Nest.
I had CMR-30 - zero issues. I sold it because I didn't really have use for it.

Last Edited:
If they asked me to secure my school ...lets see...
Razor wire...
Claymores...
M60's with overlapping fields of fire...
Armed roving patrols...
Mortar's on call...
Bus area , student drop off and pick up area , and entrance areas covered with riflemen armed with M21's...
"Dragon's teeth" drive way....
But that might be a bit much....:D
Andy

Razor wire...
Claymores...
Armed roving patrols...
Mortar's on call...
Bus area , student drop off and pick up area , and entrance areas covered with riflemen armed with M21's...
Andy

A-10's in close orbit, Apaches in the trees, F-15's in CAP, Abrams hull down at all entrances!
Yup, gotta secure things!:D:D:D

Razor wire...
Claymores...
Armed roving patrols...
Mortar's on call...
Andy
Don't forget bullet resistant windows, doglegged entrance ways covered by guards, clear views of the grounds from all angles, ie ramparted grounds... covered ways thats not visible from the streets... reinforced concrete/ceramic armor panels for the walling... :cool:

Don't forget bullet resistant windows, doglegged entrance ways covered by guards, clear views of the grounds from all angles, ie ramparted grounds... covered ways thats not visible from the streets... reinforced concrete/ceramic armor panels for the walling... :cool:
German shepherds with bad guy seeking noses.

Wasn't it reported at least on one occassion, the murderer simply fired through the walls of the class rooms? Correct me if I misremembered things.... this would require a massive reconstruction of schools to harden them.. or consolidate them into fortified places similar to that used for our military training places...

Wasn't it reported at least on one occassion, the murderer simply fired through the walls of the class rooms? Correct me if I misremembered things.... this would require a massive reconstruction of schools to harden them.. or consolidate them into fortified places similar to that used for our military training places...

You remember Correct! Dude went on a rampage and drove his pickup to a school and shot it up before taking off and later shooting it out with the cops! Here in PNW if I remember correctly!

School Hires Combat Vets With Rifles To 'Put Down' Active Shooters

A Charter school -Manatee School for the Arts, Palmetto FL - Hires 2 Combat Vets
Just across Tampa Bay from St. Pete's.
2100 Students

"But because MSA is a charter school, it can independently hire guards and decide what type of weapon they want them to use. It decided it would only hire military veterans with combat experience and arm them at all times with 9-millimeter Glock handguns and Kel-Tec RDB 17-inch semi-automatic long-guns."

FL law required schools to "do something" Few have.

I think that it is a good thing to hire armed guards especially Veterans.

I think that they should have a check point or check points upon entry to some schools if the schools can't or refuse to have armed guards.

I would rather have a trained Veteran (Or Veterans.) on duty in many of these schools than some of the things that I have seen proposed like blowing whistles (NO kidding!) and other things.

Although, one school does or did promote throwing canned goods at the bad guy. They had that on the news in the past in another state. It beats doing NOTHING! They did stock the rooms with canned goods too!

At least, they talked about fighting back IF you can't run, escape, leave the area fast enough or are near/close or face to face with the bad guy. When some of the lone murdering shooters reload or if their gun jams... that would be the time to FIGHT BACK or FLEE if you can.

I would rather have a Veteran watch my 'six' and/or my loved ones than have a teacher/principal tell their teachers to blow whistles! And later on, pulling a fire alarm.

Disclaimer: I never had children with my late husband.

Old Lady Cate

Last Edited:
Disclaimer:

I don't know much about some of the rifles that you gals/guys talk about. Yes, I can look it up or ask questions if needed.

Hopefully, the firearm, rifle, that the Veterans or 'school' chose is a good and reliable one.

I do know about the Glock pistol because I owned one back east (My first firearm when I shot several handguns in a few top brands, various calibers and styles.) and we have a few of them in our home too.

I don't shoot handguns any longer but I think that the GLOCK is a good gun even if some people make fun of them. I am not an extreme 'fan girl' as some people say - I learned that line online. LOL And I do love GLOCKS! Grin.

I think that there are many reliable handguns out there too. I say that because I used to own, shoot and carry specific handguns more than any other gun from the late 90's and on.

So good for the guard who is carrying a GLOCK!

Cate

Okay and I looked up the rifle in this discussion.

It looks different that my MT husband's former Made in Maine Bushmaster (?) plain, black, semi automatic rifle.

It is the same caliber though.

.223 or 5.56 Nato

Cate

A Charter school -Manatee School for the Arts, Palmetto FL - Hires 2 Combat Vets
Just across Tampa Bay from St. Pete's.
2100 Students

"But because MSA is a charter school, it can independently hire guards and decide what type of weapon they want them to use. It decided it would only hire military veterans with combat experience and arm them at all times with 9-millimeter Glock handguns and Kel-Tec RDB 17-inch semi-automatic long-guns."

I think this is a great idea. No one would be better for for the job. They will probably never have a problem . Most of those shooters want a body count , the count would be 1 , it would be them.

Glad to see Florida taking school safety seriously. I'd prefer to see them also allow teachers to voluntarily carry concealed. This particular school has 2,100 students meaning it's a large facility. 2 guards covering such a large facility can't be everywhere - it could still take a minute or longer to find a shooter and take him out. 5 or 10 armed teachers could probably respond quicker. Thus, it will be important to control access to school property - the principal did indicate they would do that.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top