JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
School Hires Combat Vets With Rifles To 'Put Down' Active Shooters

A Charter school -Manatee School for the Arts, Palmetto FL - Hires 2 Combat Vets
Just across Tampa Bay from St. Pete's.
2100 Students

"But because MSA is a charter school, it can independently hire guards and decide what type of weapon they want them to use. It decided it would only hire military veterans with combat experience and arm them at all times with 9-millimeter Glock handguns and Kel-Tec RDB 17-inch semi-automatic long-guns."

FL law required schools to "do something" Few have.

Maybe a little extreme, but its something in place of nothing! There are other ways to secure the schools, I hope they are just employing these guys until a more suitable security arrangement can be made! Still, unlike some of the LEO who turned and ran away, these guys won't!

All for Combat Vets being used, however I hope they'll give these guys much needed training in the "Continuum of force" since dealing with Civilians is much different than combatants.

Last Edited:
I actually think this is perfect. A lot of these guys have a hard time adapting to normal life and this may give them a sense of purpose and belonging.

I agree. There are so many good honorable Americans who come home from war in top physical condition, or wounded, and could be tremendously productive and healthy if opportunities existed for them to continue in high speed roles or mentally demanding positions. There are obstacles to finding positions for everyone leaving the service, so sometimes they end up in minimum wage jobs not making any use of their specialized experience and years of training. I came home from a deployment once to find my civilian job evaporated in the recession and was unemployed for awhile. It leaves a mark to feel unwanted after you work hard to achieve such a capacity that nobody appreciates once you take the uniform off. Matching veterans with needs like this is terrific. Also, if anyone reading this could use industry mentors, check out American Corporare Partners.

Now that's some common sense that I can get behind! How many times has a police building been accosted by "active shooters"? It doesn't happen cause even insane people realize they wont get past the front door.

I like the idea...

Not sure about the RDBs... are they any good? Seemed like a novelty when they came out. I never had a bad experience with a KelTec... but still not sure it would be my go to for defending a school

I suppose if the ubiquitous AR15 wasnt an option, how about an M1A? Plenty of power, less threatening appearance for the snowflakes.

I've been following this on Fakebook political group.... some of the people there were surprised to see rifles/carbines being used as opposed to handguns...one claimed that 9mm handguns would be easiest to train and handle with.. :rolleyes:
My retort to that..... on a school property, especially the OUTSIDE.... it makes more sense to have a rifle or carbine, because of the distances involved, and because the rifle/carbine can put more rounds into a smaller area, accurately, at the distances, as opposed to a handgun from 25 yards+ (that's 75 feet plus)... and essentially, these two guards are being the "overwatch" while there presumably are other guards inside the schools armed with pistols and sticks.....
one has to consider that a school campus would often need to be sized to fit a football field, a basketball gym, and possibly other athletic fields/equipment, in addition to the buildings to house the classrooms. Having a highly mobile, rifle armed guard unit makes more sense than a few desk pushers/hall monitors who may not be able to see all that's going on outside the school buildings

As for the hating on kel tecs....maybe thats all they had the budget for? :rolleyes: I'm just surprised they didn't go for hi points :p
AR15s would make sense, but politics also play a part here...if these guns were bought by the guards themselves, then I'm not sure, but the article did seem to mention being issued...so again, perhaps it was politics and budgets that they chose these to use....and aren't Kel-Tecs made in Florida as well? :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top