JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just recieved an e-mail that is circulating around the schools in Wilsonville citing guidelines from the National Association of School Psychologists. Document was fine however, not sure if/how to respond to this point;

Suggested Points to Emphasize When
Talking to Children:

Stay away from guns and other weapons. Tell an adult if
you know someone has a gun. Access to guns is one of
the leading risk factors for deadly violence

I want to keep it logical, however, I do not think the bold information is correct?

Indoctrination of the children....Isn't that straight out of Hitlers play book? We DO NOT need to examine what they mean, we are all adults. Pretty clear what it means...

Just recieved an e-mail that is circulating around the schools in Wilsonville citing guidelines from the National Association of School Psychologists. Document was fine however, not sure if/how to respond to this point;

Suggested Points to Emphasize When
Talking to Children:

Stay away from guns and other weapons. Tell an adult if
you know someone has a gun. Access to guns is one of
the leading risk factors for deadly violence

I want to keep it logical, however, I do not think the bold information is correct?

I don't like it...the implication is the gun can do something on it's own, which is totally wrong. Indoctrination is what this is.

bubblegum that bubblegum.
People better call the school district out on that rhetoric.
And if they dare teach that to my kids that's a whole other story. The courts will be involved at that point.
Hitler did the same thing, telling kids to report their parents if they have firearms because the kids think they're helping.. Easy way to start registration but under the radar. Scary.

I just found this document (free pdf) called 'Gun Facts' available at Gun Facts - Gun Control | Facts | Debunk | Myths

Looks very well sourced. For example,

Myth: Private guns are used to commit violent crimes

Fact: 90% of all violent crimes in the U.S. do not involve firearms of any type. 131

Fact: Even in crimes where the offender possessed a gun during the commission of the crime,
83% did not use or threaten to use the gun. 132

Fact: Less than 1% of firearms will ever be used in the commission of a crime. 133

Fact: Two-thirds of the people who die each year from gunfire are criminals being shot by other
criminals. 134

Fact: 94.4% gang murders are committed with guns. 135 Gangs are responsible for between 48%
and 90% of all violent crime. 136

EDIT: Checkout the section entitled 'THE AVAILABILITY OF GUNS' for some excellent graphs and statistics.

I like the idea of teaching children about guns and why it is necessary to respect them. I also am a big fan of controlling those weapons when there are underage children in the home and will keep the guns locked up in my gun safe. I the parent will teach my child how to shoot and about gun safety and I will always be there to supervise when the gun or guns are out of the safe.

It would be nice if the schools would do the same but they won't since guns are now big scary pieces of evil metal to teachers and school admin types. No question children are being indoctrinated about guns and lots of other untruths to advance an agenda of control.

Just a few years ago my neighbors 10yr old son was suspended and eventually had to be evaluated and change schools because he pointed his finger like a pistol in play! I wish common sense was injectable.

If they wish to have firearm education back in public schools, im for it, providing its done by a educated firearms instructor. Im sure some of you are old enough to remember the shooting range that was at the Hillsboro hi school and the shooting teams a lot of the public schools used to have. no better education than hands on...

The 'risk factor' term is a nod to risk analysis- attempting to calculate the probability that someone will behave in a particular way.

It's evident how they made the bolded conclusion. 66% of homicides are committed with handguns. If you draw from that statistic, you can say "2/3 of murderers had access to firearms".

Conversely, if you pull from the CHL holder pool, you see that these pools are a lesser risk than the pool that is left when they are excluded. IE, you are FAR more likely to be victimized by somebody who does not have a CHL than you are to be victimized by somebody who has one.

Statistics are fun.

A proper risk analysis would account for people whose characteristics or behaviors place them in groups which trend strongly away from the key behavior.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top