JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
New guy here. I have what appears to be a Schmidt-Rubin 1889, chambered in 45-70. I have been unable to find any info on anyone rebarreling to this caliber. Looks like a Williams front sight ranp and blade. Original rear sight. Anyone have any information on this thing? Stock butt plate and bolt have same ser # as receiver

20221127_143141.jpg 20221127_143132.jpg

If the serial puts it correctly in that date range, it's most definately not a "factory" barrel/re-barreling and I can't say I've run across any like that before. Sorry. Gonna follow the thread though. Interesting piece!

If I had to guess.. I would say it's likely something @arakboss 's great great grandfather might have put together.

🤣

If the serial puts it correctly in that date range, it's most definately not a "factory" barrel/re-barreling and I can't say I've run across any like that before. Sorry. Gonna follow the thread though. Interesting piece!

If I had to guess.. I would say it's likely something @arakboss 's great great grandfather might have put together.

🤣
Hilarious:)

Just a side note, but for the period... you might want to be sure it's actually 45-70 and not 11mm mauser. I mean... Swiss service rifle... 11mm european round of the same period... Might could be(?)

Doesn't the 1889 Schmidt-Rubin have a weaker action than the K31? I think the 1889 was made for black powder loads and the K31 was beefed up for smokeless loads? Just going on memory here so I suggest you do some research. In the mean time I would stick to black powder 45-70 loads and stay away from high pressure smokeless loads that are sold these days. (45-70 was originally a black powder cartridge and the old black powder guns aren't safe with smokeless loads).

Feel free to correct me if my memory isnt accurate.

Last Edited:
Doesn't the 1889 Schmidt-Rubin have a weaker action than the K31? I think the 1889 was made for black powder loads and the K31 was beefed up for smokeless loads? Just going on memory here so I suggest you do some research. In the mean time I would stick to black powder 45-70 loads and stay away from high pressure smokeless loads.

The 1889 was developed using early smokeless powder, a nitrocellulose mixture iirc. Most reloaders load for it with smokeless powder, using 30-40 krag data. GP-90 (the swiss load for the 1889), was loaded to 39,000 PSI.

It'll handle 45-70 just fine

Doesn't the 1889 Schmidt-Rubin have a weaker action than the K31? I think the 1889 was made for black powder loads and the K31 was beefed up for smokeless loads? Just going on memory here so I suggest you do some research. In the mean time I would stick to black powder 45-70 loads and stay away from high pressure smokeless loads that are sold these days. (45-70 was originally a black powder cartridge and the old black powder guns aren't safe with smokeless loads).

Original cartridge was 7.5x53.5. An obsolete round now. But I believe you are correct in that this action does not hold up to high pressure rounds. I would only use the low pressure 45-70 loads(28,000 cup loads). I believe Remington still makes the low pressure loads, as well as the "cowboy" loads for competition would be ok.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top