Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Schmidt Rubin 308

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by jasparseed1@yahoo.com, Apr 25, 2009.

1. jasparseed1@yahoo.com

jasparseed1@yahoo.com Lebanon Member

I bought a S. Rubin and the barrel has been changed to 308, I don't know for sure what model its is, can someone help me out. I has been worked over some and I'm kind of uneasy about shooting it until I have some more info on it. I have search the net and think it is a K31 but not sure. Any Help would be appricated.....Ray

Just hit the net again, apparently its not a K31, but more likely a 1889/1911 there was a name and info under the but plate, issured in 1937 but will look more but if anyone has more info on it please let me know. The bolt is front locked and mag is different numbers and I'm wondering if it is shootable in the 308 cal.....

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  2. Wierzbowski

Wierzbowski Sherwood Member

Do you have any pics you can post? That would make it easier to ID the rifle.

mjbskwim likes this.
  3. jasparseed1@yahoo.com

jasparseed1@yahoo.com Lebanon Member

I found out thru the net this is a 1911, rebarreled to 308, but still wondering if it will hole the 308 round, will take it to a gun smith and have him give me a idea if it is ok. Mag and bolt same number with front lugs on bolt but still a 1911 instead of a k31, will let you know if it works or is a wall hanger......Ray

4. Shooter 1

Shooter 1 Glenwood, Minnesota New Member

Put a 308 round in it and shoot the darn thing. I have owned several through the years. In fact I just bought another one chambered in the 308. One of the best old guns out there. But main thing is LEARN the safty on it pull back ring twist 1/4 turn return it forward.

5. Mannywatz

Mannywatz Vancouver wa Member

Hello there I traded one of those off at the Arms collectors gun show. (Was that you perhaps?) I had the same concerns so I test fired it with a hot 308 and measured for expansion/looked for pressure signs. It was completely kosher. But the advice above is very good with any military surplus rifle: test fire it yourself. You just never know. I've taken Rebarrel jobs apart that were really really iffy... And just fixed an ackley chamber that was 40 thousandsths too deep...