JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know that there are millions of opinions on scent reduction while hunting, from whether it's really necessary, all the way to you must be totally scent free, because of my personal experiences, I'm somewhere in the middle……….. Anyway, the smoke blanketing the region and ash raining down from the sky, has got me wondering how/or if this affects the sense of smell of the deer and/or elk in the area.

What do you think?

Are you going to do anything different because of the smoke and the ash?

Ray

Other than trying to stay downwind of what I'm hunting, I don't give it much thought. The deer around here seem pretty accustomed to humans. They come up to trail cams I've just installed, give them a good sniff, and nibble on them to see if they're edible.

They don't like seeing people, but don't seem to mind smelling us. Maybe we just have oddball deer.

I'm guessing the smoke will mess with their sense of smell the same as it does with ours.

Last Edited:
Thats a good question Ray.

Like Howard said if you stay down wind its a moot point. I guess for those that think its super important they might take some ash and rub it on there clothes. As for me I will probably just do what I always do and just try to limit the fabric softner and things and use an unscented soap for a couple days to help out.

Other than trying to stay downwind of what I'm hunting, I don't give it much thought. The deer around here seem pretty accustomed to humans. They come up to trail cams I've just installed, give them a good sniff, and nibble on them to see if they're edible.

They don't like seeing people, but don't seem to mind smelling us. Maybe we just have oddball deer.

I'm guessing the smoke will mess with their sense of smell the same as it ones with ours.

I'm pretty much like you guys, I don't do anything too special to cover my scent, as I've had deer almost on top of me without spooking, when I know for a fact that I totally smelled like bacon, deodorant and/or numerous other things.

Years ago, on a snowy day before work, I was hunting a shotgun only spot in PA, when I had a whitetail doe sneak up on me. When I saw her, it was too late for me to try to hide, so I buried my face deeper into the scarf that was covering it and then just stopped moving. I kept perfectly still as she kept coming closer and closer, until she was within inches of me. She ended up sniffing the barrel of my shotgun and then started blowing and stomping, while staring at me. I never moved and she ended up walking away, though she was pretty leery on her way out, but she never bolted.

Thats a good question Ray.

Like Howard said if you stay down wind its a moot point. I guess for those that think its super important they might take some ash and rub it on there clothes. As for me I will probably just do what I always do and just try to limit the fabric softner and things and use an unscented soap for a couple days to help out.

You know, I was actually thinking that people might use the ash and/or use smoke from a fire to scent their hunting clothes during these times.

Ray

I'm pretty much like you guys, I don't do anything too special to cover my scent, as I've had deer almost on top of me without spooking, when I know for a fact that I totally smelled like bacon, deodorant and/or numerous other things.

Years ago, on a snowy day before work, I was hunting a shotgun only spot in PA, when I had a whitetail doe sneak up on me. When I saw her, it was too late for me to try to hide, so I buried my face deeper into the scarf that was covering it and then just stopped moving. I kept perfectly still as she kept coming closer and closer, until she was within inches of me. She ended up sniffing the barrel of my shotgun and then started blowing and stomping, while staring at me. I never moved and she ended up walking away, though she was pretty leery on her way out, but she never bolted.

You know, I was actually thinking that people might use the ash and/or use smoke from a fire to scent their hunting clothes during these times.

Ray

White tails are generally the "bicycle helmet wearing, put bumpers on all the corners, and locks on the cabinets" species of dear... ESPECIALLY compared to blackies and mulies!

Last Edited:
Didn't the indians use ash or coals from fires to mask scent?
Of course they had to get closer than those of us with modern rifles.

I usually spray myself down with scent killer.

This will be my first year archery hunting for elk.
So I'm hoping for some good luck.

A friend hunted with this "not the smartest" guy who thought why not put the deer
urine on my face? :confused: Really? So the story goes after tramping around the woods
they decided to go to Cougar, WA for a beer one night. Talking to a couple ladies they
asked his friend why his face was broke out. Of course he told them he smeared deer
urine on his face. They couldn't get away from them fast enough.:eek::eek:

I don't know about most of you hunters but when I used to hunt BG I used to smoke a pack of cigarettes a day and all but 2 years out of 20 I did not get a deer and that was because I couldn't hunt due to an illness and a bad back injury.
Once you glass an area and spot an animal or cross its path then all you have to do this track it down and shoot it.... The wind will end a hunt & you will have to eat beans instead of venison heart.... YMMV.

Last Edited:
A friend hunted with this "not the smartest" guy who thought why not put the deer
urine on my face? :confused: Really? So the story goes after tramping around the woods
they decided to go to Cougar, WA for a beer one night. Talking to a couple ladies they
asked his friend why his face was broke out. Of course he told them he smeared deer
urine on his face. They couldn't get away from them fast enough.:eek::eek:

Who the F would do that?!
GD that's funny

I don't know about most of you hunters but when I used to hunt BG I used to smoke a pack of cigarettes a day and all but 2 years out of 20 I did not get a deer and that was because I couldn't hunt due to an illness and a bad back injury.
Once you glass an area and spot an animal or across its path then all you have to do this track it down and shoot it.... The wind will end a hunt & you will have to eat beans instead of venison heart.... YMMV.

But.... eatin' beans will just make more wind that will further end the hunt, and its a hampster wheel you just can't get off of! :confused:

Agree growing up in the south.....but @Stomper has hunted more than people? :confused:

I doubt it...

Yes... I told this sum'bisquit eater if he stepped on my shoes just ONE MORE TIME, that I was gonna rip his heart right outta his chest!! He didn't listen.

IMG_0160.JPG

Last Edited:
If the elk in my area are any indicator I think the closest I'll be able to get is about 20'. That's with me half awake in muck boots and only outside because those bastards are in my garden again and I have to open the gate for them so they don't rip the fence down trying to hop out of it.

Fish in a barrel? More like elk in a corral. Dumb animals every one. Tasty dumb animals, but still dumb.

I often hunt in my Rendezvous clothes...all they all smell like outside and wood smoke.
Not sure if it really helps ... But wood smoke is a natural smell...
When I do wash 'em , its just with water and hang dry outside.
Again not sure if that really helps.

The big things that get you spotted are:
Noise
Movement
And the big old Human Silhouette.
Andy

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show