JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
scenario: every thing has gone to heck. you have bunkered down in you home with just enough supplies for you and your family.
your friends however did not listen and now are at your door starving and begging for help. some of them may have children with them.

you know helping even one could put you at risk.
helping one and not all may cause some to turn violent.

in a SHTF world this scenario is all to likely
how will you handle it?

are you mentally prepared to say no?

to kill even a friend to defend your families supplies?

every one seems to talk about looters and crazy people but they are the easy part.

Last Edited:
Good news is that any of my friends that close enough friends to be in my fox hole are at least basically prepped.

Now there are a lot of folks that I would call casual friends and relatives that are not. Survival means doing what you must, if not you will not survive.

With that said anyone that has a skill or a use (could be physical labor) will be accepted as long as they dont pose a threat. You will have a very hard time surviving "lone wolf", you cant do everything by yourself.

Folks that dont have anything to contribute will be turned away. Anyone that causes problems becomes a threat to your survival and needs to be dealt with. I will not like to but I sure hope and I believe I could do what is needed to survive..........

In the scenario you describe means everyone made mistakes. If you don't have enough to share then you didn't put enough away to survive. If they are real friends then why didn't they listen (their mistake)? Killing people sets a whole new set of problems with disease and contamination.

In my opinion people should put back more than "just enough" in case real friends come to the door and you need their help defending your families life. People would be burnt out of their homes and even though they were prepared they may end up on your doorstep. Never turn my back on a friend that needs help.

jj

I consider my skillset to be second only to my faith in a situation like the OP set....I consider my skillset to be a gift from my maker..

It would be unfaithful of me and therefore wrong for me to turn any away....Since the gifts are on loan to me who am I to not share them.

Since friends an family won't listen in these prosperous times (lol) I expect some very serious students in the coming times...Hopefully they will learn then...

W44

I consider my skillset to be second only to my faith in a situation like the OP set....I consider my skillset to be a gift from my maker..

It would be unfaithful of me and therefore wrong for me to turn any away....Since the gifts are on loan to me who am I to not share them.

Since friends an family won't listen in these prosperous times (lol) I expect some very serious students in the coming times...Hopefully they will learn then...

W44

that is actually very refreshing perspective on this. Thank you.

General "Buck" Turgidson: Doctor, you mentioned the ratio of ten women to each man. Now, wouldn't that necessitate the abandonment of the so-called monogamous sexual relationship, I mean, as far as men were concerned?

Dr. Strangelove: Regrettably, yes. But it is, you know, a sacrifice required for the future of the human race. I hasten to add that since each man will be required to do prodigious... service along these lines, the women will have to be selected for their sexual characteristics which will have to be of a highly stimulating nature.

Ambassador de Sadesky: I must confess, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor.

I posed a similar question on Christians: Mandated to give it all away and die?
coming from a Christian's point of view. Interesting answers, but in the end I believe God and the Bible teach your duty is to God, Family, Country and you will have to make the decision when you get there.

Putting away enough... hmmmm... how much is that? You CAN'T put away enough for long term, you will need to know how to grow your own food and have the place to do it.

Most city dwellers don't have that ability. A "victory garden" is a long cry from supporting a dozen people for a year.

If we go the route of Argentine / Russia my family will have to homestead out in the country to have any chance at self sufficiency and protection. Not a pretty thought.

My preps are for the Katrina events that last a month tops. Long term is too much to really handle on your own and it will take a small village mentality to do so.

Need more info on this scenario....my answer will be "it depends". I can survive with people I don't like as long as they listen and have at least something to bring to the table (i.e. other skills, equipment, etc.). Just because they're hungry doesn't mean they don't have stuff or can't do stuff I won't ever need.

What skills can they do? Construction? Electrical? Gardening? Do they have guns? A 4x4 truck with when I need to bug-out?

I do have some "friends" that like to go the range with me but make more priorities to upgrade their World at War character than to prep for a SHTF scenario. Would I turn these people away? DAMN SKIPPY! If you spend your time and money buying a BMW and I spend it building a bunker, then you want to crawl in my bunker after I warned you then you can go f-yourself.

You can call me cold-hearted and whatnot, but there is hardly a prepper that I know of that won't help another prepper or person interested in prepping. Heck, we like to bs about supplies and gear....bounce ideas and experiences off each other and learn from one another. If anyone asks why I have buckets on my front porch, I tell them! I don't hide it (although for OPSEC reasons, I won't ever disclose our bug-out location or cache areas) and I tell them they should prep too!

They can call me cold for turning away a friend- but I call them a fool. These same people will hunt you down for your supplies....saying you're "hoarding" them.

The book "Patriots" covers a lot of this...

Need more info on this scenario....my answer will be "it depends". I can survive with people I don't like as long as they listen and have at least something to bring to the table (i.e. other skills, equipment, etc.). Just because they're hungry doesn't mean they don't have stuff or can't do stuff I won't ever need.

What skills can they do? Construction? Electrical? Gardening? Do they have guns? A 4x4 truck with when I need to bug-out?

I do have some "friends" that like to go the range with me but make more priorities to upgrade their World at War character than to prep for a SHTF scenario. Would I turn these people away? DAMN SKIPPY! If you spend your time and money buying a BMW and I spend it building a bunker, then you want to crawl in my bunker after I warned you then you can go f-yourself.

You can call me cold-hearted and whatnot, but there is hardly a prepper that I know of that won't help another prepper or person interested in prepping. Heck, we like to bs about supplies and gear....bounce ideas and experiences off each other and learn from one another. If anyone asks why I have buckets on my front porch, I tell them! I don't hide it (although for OPSEC reasons, I won't ever disclose our bug-out location or cache areas) and I tell them they should prep too!

They can call me cold for turning away a friend- but I call them a fool. These same people will hunt you down for your supplies....saying you're "hoarding" them.

The book "Patriots" covers a lot of this...

This sums it up very nice.

I am VERY willing to help someone that is willing to help themselves. I am not willing to help a person with a hand out either today or then.

Depends on the friend; depends on the scenario (or what I think the scenario may be); maybe depends on my mood.

In the last place we lived, we had a single mom & small child who lived next door. I wouldn't have turned them away; maybe even at the risk of my own family.

There was an interesting Katrina story that I saw - guy opened his property up to some friends to bring their trailers/whatever. Soon enough, those friends invited their friends/family & he had a real mess on his hands. Gotta draw the line somewhere, but it may be hard once you are over it.

My "Friends" should have listened. They are on there own. (my close friends are prepared)

My friend's Kids, really didn't get a choice to prepare or not, I would feed them. I'm not cold hearted enough to send a kid away hungry, even if it costs me my life!!

One thing to consider; the PNW (Pacific North West) is a net exporter of food..We also have an abundance of fresh water...At any given time we are surrounded by food and water...Sharing doesn't necessarily mean doing without...I recommend a thorough assessment before breaking out the "soylent green cookbook"..

W44

W44

Yet you have locks on your doors, and firearms to protect you and yours.

Yet you have locks on your doors, and firearms to protect you and yours.
QM....I don't understand your statement..I lived for decades without either locks or firearms...In a different social setting I am sure that I would again...How does that prevent me from helping others in times of need? When I have had my own personal emergencies others extended their helping hands to me...How could I do less?

Please explain.

W44

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews