JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
On a whim, I dropped a whopping $260 on a SCCY CPX-2 Gen 2 9mm. For my vast cash outlay, I got a subcompact, US made, 15 ounce, polymer framed, aluminum receiver, hammer-fired, second-strike capable, DAO semi-auto with a milled bead-blasted stainless steel slide, 10+1 capacity, slide lock back after final round pistol that comes with two quality steel mags with finger grip extensions plus two flat magazine bases if you don't like the finger extensions. The trigger started out as an extremely smooth 8 pounds and, after break in, is about 6.5 pounds and even more smooth than it was, on a par with my S&W 442 or the Kahrs that I've owned. And it has a lifetime warranty that follows the pistol with customer service that owners who have had problems describe as superb. I now have 400 rounds through it with zero problems using everything from my FMJ reloads to various types of self-defense JHP ammo. It eats and spits out everything and is completely combat accurate at 35-50 feet if you do your part. The Gen 1s apparently had problems that the company jumped on and ironed out in the Gen 2s. I've fired the Keltec P-11, the pistol it's compared to, and there's no comparison in my opinion. I have owned a lot of quality guns in my time, but this one is the best value for the buck I've seen. Maybe I just got a good one, but even so it's worth looking at. Just FYI.
C38F02AC-3E57-4801-B1F5-CA2FCF5EF7CB-165-00000005A45B06C8_zpsfa0fe61e.jpg

I once had a generation 1 CPX. It jammed on me because it would not all fit back together when I field stripped it. SCCY was very good about fixing/replacing it at their expense, including delivery charges. It jammed again, got fixed again, then was sold to a new home (with full disclosure of its life).

This 2nd generation model looks like it exudes quality, in comparison.

I've been casually eying those for a couple months now. What's the size like? Similar to LC9/Shield/XDs? Actually since it's double stack I guess it's gotta be thicker...

The grip's manageable, and the finger grooves actually are ergonomic and work for my hand, anyway. Not as clunky as a flock with a good grip angle that points fairly intuitively. The sights are excellent as well.

Been seeing a vendor on facebook listing it for 299.99 and they have intrigued me. Wasn't to sure since it can be hit and miss with some of the cheaper guns. Lol wish I could find one for the cheaper price.

Difference between the CPX-1 and 2 is the safety right? A new one in the box from the dealer should be the gen 2 right? Just looked again and he has the 2 pictured but said its the 1.

Good to hear the gen 2s have the bugs worked out - my neighbor recently picked one up as he figured he would carry it more than his .45 LC. So far he says its run great as well.

The CPX-1 Gen 1s had all sort of problems with the safety. They've fixed that in the Gen2s and also added the CPX-2 with no safety. It's a nifty little gun you can carry all day with no problems. You can pocket carry in cargo pants with the flat mag baseplate. I actually use a Remora no-clip holster and carry at four o'clock. Sits there all day. I can't find any fault with it. Rear sight is wind age adjustable by loosening an Allen-type locking screw. Mine was right on from the factory though. They originally recommended no +P ammo out of the Gen 2s but have changed that to just saying not to feed them a steady diet of +P ammo, ie it's ok to use +P ammo when carrying. I carry Speer 124 Grain +P rounds and have fired enough to know it eats them with zero problems. Recoil is for sure there but entirely manageable in a 15oz pistol.

Forgot to add there's a laser out there for it. It's by Armalaser. The model number is the TR10. It snaps onto the trigger guard and uses a galvanic contact switch on the bottom of the trigger guard that automatically turns the lazer on the moment you fully grip the pistol. Reviews say it works well with only a few naysayers. And it doesn't screw up the profile at all.

Ok cool, so as long as the CPX-1 is a gen 2 its fine with the safety? With an 8 year old and around kids that are the hugging type its a lil piece of mind having the safety.

Yep, CPX-1 Gen 2 with safety is good to go. As to kids and guns, I lock mine up religiously, but for my home defense gun I just sold a Walther PPQ precisely because it doesn't have a safety. I've got a three year old granddaughter living with us in the house and I just couldn't risk even one "brain fart" where I might leave it out, as impossible as I tell myself that might be. Replaced it with two pistols that I'm still trying to decide between -- a Ruger SR9C and a Ruger SR45. Probably will go with the .45 since it's just such a solid, accurate gun and I have a Streamlight TLR-4 tactical light/laser that is perfect for home defense. Both have manual safeties. Better safe than sorry, because one stupid mistake would be something I don't think I could live with. Good common sense decision re safeties when you've got kids anywhere. Just one additional layer of protection.

Hadn't seen that either. I think he's right about the Armscor ammo. That's Phillipine made and I'm not sure what the primer source is that they use. One thing Hickok45 (I love the guy) doesn't mention is that the CPX-2 doesn't have a firing pin safety but relies on an inertia firing pin to keep it drop safe. That means the firing pin itself is very light and, since force equals mass times velocity, doesn't hit with quite as much force as a conventional steel firing pin. That would explain the non-ignition of the primers if they are indeed hard. Simple fix is not to use cheap ammo. I use a mix of primers in my reloads (Federal and CCI) and haven't had any issues. I've shot Speer and Golden Sabre PD ammo, also without problems. The failure to return to battery is something I haven't seen at all in over 400 rounds, but that's a common breakin issue that often resolves itself or it could just be the profile of whatever rounds he was using. I'm still liking mine and it seems Hickok45 really wanted to like it, too, but had to be honest about what he's experienced. BTW, they took the Zytel over molding off the slide lock just recently to make the profile thinner. You can still drop the slide with it, but it takes practice. I slingshot as a rule anyway, and it's obvious that maybe with the exception of Kahr most manufacturers design handguns with the piece primarily meant as a slide lock, not a release. And besides, all it cost me was $260. I did notice Brightwater Ventures had a couple in a few weeks ago and Les at Clark County Gunsmithing said he's got a lot in that people have ordered. As for the trigger, it's basically a revolver style trigger but very, very smooth. Not a problem if you practice. Thanks for the video!

Been seeing a vendor on facebook listing it for 299.99 and they have intrigued me. Wasn't to sure since it can be hit and miss with some of the cheaper guns. Lol wish I could find one for the cheaper price.

Difference between the CPX-1 and 2 is the safety right? A new one in the box from the dealer should be the gen 2 right? Just looked again and he has the 2 pictured but said its the 1.

Don't pay $299 if you get one. Seems like $250-$270 is what they go for.

Old thread but I just got one of these second hand and shot it today (the CPX-2 Gen 2) and it did not have a single hickup. Shot HP's and FMJ's both.

The trigger pull is very smooth and for a small, light 9mm it fits my large hands very comfortablely.

Recoil (for me) was no issue. Targeting and re aquisition was very easy with the sights. 10 ft out to 40 yards I found it to be accurate no problem.

Easy to carry in a simple IWB holster or pocket. (Or pack)

For $250 BNIB, accurate, comfortable and reliable enough to trust my life too - I'll most likely buy more of these if I can find them used and would recomend them to anyone.

They also come in pink and purple for you tough guys;)

Old thread but I just got one of these second hand and shot it today (the CPX-2 Gen 2) and it did not have a single hickup. Shot HP's and FMJ's both.

The trigger pull is very smooth and for a small, light 9mm it fits my large hands very comfortablely.

Recoil (for me) was no issue. Targeting and re aquisition was very easy with the sights. 10 ft out to 40 yards I found it to be accurate no problem.

Easy to carry in a simple IWB holster or pocket. (Or pack)

For $250 BNIB, accurate, comfortable and reliable enough to trust my life too - I'll most likely buy more of these if I can find them used and would recomend them to anyone.

They also come in pink and purple for you tough guys;)

They are nice pistols. I did own a Gen2 for a while and ended up selling it to fund another purchase opportunity. I do plan to replace it again someday. I did experience 2 failures, one FTF and one stovepipe. It may have been the ammo. I would certainly have wanted to see it run for a few hundred rounds without a hiccup before I would trust it as a carry gun. Still a good value gun.

I have 2 of these. 1 black/black, and one green/stainless.

I have shot around 200 rounds thru both, and absolutely no problems.

I am tempted to buy another, but really don't need it....:D:)

Recoil was a little too snappy for me with defense rounds, so I downloaded some 9mm 125g lead for practice, and now can shoot them all day long:D

(who wants to "practice" with defensive rounds anyway, @ about $1.00 per round...)