JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Greetings.

I currently own a M1A Scout. While I favor it greatly over the typical AR/M4 platform, I am considering switching to the SCAR-H platform for the following reasons:

Lighter
Future availability of quick swap barrel packages
Full length rail system
Ambi controls
swappable charging handle

I really like the reliability of my M1A but am really attracted to the potential modularity of the SCAR-H as well as the reputation of FN in the Battle rifle realm. I realize that I could buy 2 m1a's for about the same price as a SCAR-H but I might be getting the "itch". I am NOT interested in AR/M4 platform as I am far from being a fan of sending carbon and hot gases to the bolt carrier group.

Anyone have experience with the SCAR-H out there?

Thanks.

- Netsecsys
Semper Fi

AR platform .308 would be great too. LMT / LaRue

At this point SCAR has minimum parts market and expensive.

Does LMT / LaRue have a piston driven 308 in the $2750 range? I am not interested in non-piston driven ARs...

Understood about the parts issue. Not a huge fan of accessorizing a rifle (all my accessorizing flair is spent on pistol holsters ; ).

Thanks.

Well I actually understand the dilemma and honestly, I'd say go with the SCAR. The M1A is awesome and obviously proven but the SCAR is much more versatile in almost every way. Plus if you ever want to throw a can on it the YHM 7.62 Phantom is ridiculously quiet making your SCAR even better! However I will say that you should keep the M1A just to be sure you really like the SCAR enough to replace it. Nothing sucks more than replacing a favorite firearm with something "better" only to find out you don't like it as much.

Well I actually understand the dilemma and honestly, I'd say go with the SCAR. The M1A is awesome and obviously proven but the SCAR is much more versatile in almost every way. Plus if you ever want to throw a can on it the YHM 7.62 Phantom is ridiculously quiet making your SCAR even better! However I will say that you should keep the M1A just to be sure you really like the SCAR enough to replace it. Nothing sucks more than replacing a favorite firearm with something "better" only to find out you don't like it as much.

Yeah, I am hoping to be able to fire and carry one prior to biting the bullet.

You ever pick up a SCAR-H loaded? Not too much lighter than an M1A. Since Piston Driven rifles is the way to go (an obviously cost is a small concern to you) have you ever thought of just getting an HK416 upper?

I have not picked up a SCAR-H loaded but based on the empty weight, I would guess that the M1A has it by 2-3lbs. I saw a TV show about the new HK piston-driven which gave me the bug. Based on the cost of a HK 308 upper and everything else to complete a build, I would guess that it would be in excess of $3k.

This is new territory for me. I shot M16A2s the Marine Corps and swore I would never own a AR/Mxx rifle after getting out. I am an old-school 1911 and M1A guy as I like the well made, simple operation and STEEL of the weapons I own. This is a potentially big step if I make it. I am attempting due diligence prior to a purchase.

Thanks again for all your input!

Does LMT / LaRue have a piston driven 308 in the $2750 range? I am not interested in non-piston driven ARs...

Understood about the parts issue. Not a huge fan of accessorizing a rifle (all my accessorizing flair is spent on pistol holsters ; ).

Thanks.

Even factory parts are expensive and hard to find.

LMT is pistion. LaRue OBR is not.

Is there overwhelming evidence somewhere that indicates piston is more reliable than DI?

I am not basing my decision on anything but my own experience with DI while in the service. DI + battle conditions do not meet my standards for reliability. If I just wanted a range weapon, a DI AR would be fine for me. No one could ever convince me that sending carbon and hot gasses to the BCG adds to it's reliability. That's all...

I had a M1A and sold it for the SCAR, the SCAR has less recoil and is more accurate. Also, a stock M1A is not very accurate had problems hitting 12 inch gongs at 600 yards, bedding and laminated stock and NM front sight helped but still was not as accurate as say a AR-10.

the SCAR is very accurate I can get MOA without really trying, and has little recoil even when you shoot it off the bench. It does not have NO recoil but less than any 308 rifle I have. It feels like a benelli M1 super90 impulse wise with the recoil level of a 7.62x39

While I think the M1A is a sexy rifle, it is not even in the same league as a SCAR.

If you asked which to get a AR-10 or SCAR that would be a harder question.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top