JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a suggestion thread. If you like the idea, use the up arrow to the right of the first post to upvote. Suggestions with more votes get higher priority.
Reactions
Seeing more scammers in the Classifieds. Usually their refuse to meet up and want you to pay online.

I was wondering if we could have a rule where you must post 50 posts in the non classified areas before you can post in the Classifieds.

Usually these guys are not gun guys and most are not even in America.

I don't like the idea of a minimum post requirement. I've gotten a number of things here that I really wanted from newbies who joined just to sell their stuff. I say who cares why they joined, the community here is better off by having a larger selection in the classifieds and we can perhaps turn the newbie into an active, supportive member.

A small fee to post if not a supporting member could work. I'm not sure what the transaction costs on the site side would be, but if not too high even a fee like 50 cents to post a classified would turn away most scammers because they would have to provide valid credit card info, making contesting a fraudulent transaction much easier.

It would be low enough to not drive away legitimate folks who have something to sell that one of us might want.

Minimum number of posts is only a small deterant for a scammer. I found a scammer here a year or so ago. He had posted a bunch over the course of several weeks, then posted a couple sale ads. I searched the text and pictures as both ads were under market value for the items. I found both the text and pictures on old ads in other forums or gunbroker. Reported the guy to Joe and he was gone.

As for asking a new member to pay a small amount for ads because they would have to give real credit card info, it wouldn't work. Pre paid CC are available and are the same online as a real card. Often PP CC are stolen. No scammer cares about .50 for a scam that could make him hundreds or even thousands.

These scammers are collecting pictures, texts from ads, ffl license copies, personal ID cards, setting up fake zelle, cash app, venmo and PayPal accounts. They often use people in the states to collect the money, giving them a cut of the profits. The criminals here in the states don't care about jail time.

Best advice is to only deal with locals and meet in person when possible. Never use a pay app to purchase anything. Use a credit card if possible as you can dispute charges. Don't send someone a picture of your ID. Contact the ffl directly if having something shipped to you. Insist on usps money order if shipping an item.. easy to go to usps and check to see if its real before you ship items. Always Google search the text and pictures. Armslist was full of fake ad scammers. A lot of those jack wagons are moving to forums. Easy to search them out. Report every one of them to the admins here so we can send them down the road.

Minimum number of posts is only a small deterant for a scammer. I found a scammer here a year or so ago. He had posted a bunch over the course of several weeks, then posted a couple sale ads. I searched the text and pictures as both ads were under market value for the items. I found both the text and pictures on old ads in other forums or gunbroker. Reported the guy to Joe and he was gone.

As for asking a new member to pay a small amount for ads because they would have to give real credit card info, it wouldn't work. Pre paid CC are available and are the same online as a real card. Often PP CC are stolen. No scammer cares about .50 for a scam that could make him hundreds or even thousands.

These scammers are collecting pictures, texts from ads, ffl license copies, personal ID cards, setting up fake zelle, cash app, venmo and PayPal accounts. They often use people in the states to collect the money, giving them a cut of the profits. The criminals here in the states don't care about jail time.

Best advice is to only deal with locals and meet in person when possible. Never use a pay app to purchase anything. Use a credit card if possible as you can dispute charges. Don't send someone a picture of your ID. Contact the ffl directly if having something shipped to you. Insist on usps money order if shipping an item.. easy to go to usps and check to see if its real before you ship items. Always Google search the text and pictures. Armslist was full of fake ad scammers. A lot of those jack wagons are moving to forums. Easy to search them out. Report every one of them to the admins here so we can send them down the road.
"Best advice is to only deal with locals and meet in person when possible"

This is the best advice.

Welp, I recently got scammed by someone who responded to a post I made searching for a specific gun. They sent me some pictures of the gun and said they would only meet in person. Because they said they lived 5 hours away and due to scheduling issues, I asked if they could ship the gun. They said they would but I'd need to pay extra for shipping. I asked them for a picture of their ID and I received it. I also did a reverse image search of the pictures they sent me and nothing popped up, so everything seemed fine and I sent the money on Zelle. The next day, the users NWFA account could not be found and after looking very closely at the ID they sent me, you can tell the name and address isn't square with the rest of the ID and after searching up who lives at that address, I didn't find the name of this person listed as a resident. Guess I'm out $800. Lesson learned. Please learn from my mistake so the same doesn't happen to you.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads