JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I had a WTB ad and was contacted by a scammer. He sent some pictures but refused to give a phone number. He said he was a FFL licensed dealer in Strasburg CO but wouldn't give his business info. I asked for specific pictures that could only be taken by a person who actually had the gun. I never received them. He said he would send his info to my receiving FFL. It never happened. His email address to watch out for is [email protected] . This is the only place I posted looking for the gun yet I show no replies in the ad or PM message to initiate the emails I received. I used a little used email address to correspond with the scammer . Can a scammer delete their messages sent to someone in PM so that the recipient of the PM can't see it a anymore?

This is how I deal with NF Classified listings. First off I donate to the cause. I do not correspond with anybody outside of PMs on a potential face to face unless we've struck a deal here and it's to give a courtesy call or text to say "I'm on the way." or to update travel delays to our meet up spot. That's it! I don't need to talk to somebody on the phone for an hour over a $400 Glock or $25 box of ammo. I don't want to phone text back and forth for 2 or 3 days. I don't give out my e-mail. I double and triple check FFLs before I ship anything. Again, I keep it in the PM's that way there's no confusion and it keeps everybody honest for the most part. When the other party (out of the gate) types "text me" I politely let them know that my texting will remain here in the forum utilizing the private message system. Once you start branching off to phone texting then mix in a few personal e-mails things can get muddy pretty quick. Not trying to come off as a hard a$$. I've met members that I stay in touch with outside of the forum but I'm set in my ways for a very good reason and that's to minimize the potential for riff raff and what you've encountered. Good luck!

Last Edited:
Good advice ^^^
Always stay within the onboard messaging system. Do not stray to private emails or texts.
Here, Ebay, Gunbroker, wherever.....do not stray.
If things go sideways there is no onboard record of what was said if you stray.

Why Proton Mail ?
This could be why...
Proton Mail is an end-to-end encrypted email service founded in 2013 in Geneva, Switzerland. Proton Mail uses client-side encryption to protect email content and user data before they are sent to Proton Mail servers, unlike other common email providers such as Gmail and Outlook.com.

And thirdly, all WTB ads attract scammers.
Reason being is that you've done half the work, if you think it through.
The victim, the product and the price are already in place.
The scammer just needs to lure you into his trap.

This is how I deal with NF Classified listings. First off I donate to the cause. I do not correspond with anybody outside of PMs on a potential face to face unless we've struck a deal here and it's to give a courtesy call or text to say "I'm on the way." or to update travel delays to our meet up spot. That's it! I don't need to talk to somebody on the phone for an hour over a $400 Glock or $25 box of ammo. I don't want to phone text back and forth for 2 or 3 days. I don't give out my e-mail. I double and triple check FFLs before I ship anything. Again, I keep it in the PM's that way there's no confusion and it keeps everybody honest for the most part. When the other party (out of the gate) types "text me" I politely let them know that my texting will remain here in the forum utilizing the private message system. Once you start branching off to phone texting then mix in a few personal e-mails things can get muddy pretty quick. Not trying to come off as a hard a$$. I've met members that I stay in touch with outside of the forum but I'm set in my ways for a very good reason and that's to minimize the potential for riff raff and what you've encountered. Good luck!
I hadn't planned on a hour long phone conversation and it wasn't for a $400 Glock or a $25 box of ammo. But thanks for the helpful Input.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top