JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd submit paperwork/eform, get receiver engraved, get approved, buy or cut barrel. Guess you could engrave a barrel too. Eform should be faster. I've never done an SBS, just SBRs and a suppressor. But it's the same process.

It just depends, when I lived in Portland I'd just go to Bye Engraving on Barber Blvd. Last time I went, it was like $20 cash, call ahead. You can do it yourself, but there are requirements for depth. Trophy shops can possibly do it too.

There was a thread or two on local places to get engraving done. I used https://www.cofaguns.com/
They were open on Sunday, which worked out great. I would call ahead and make sure they have time to do it. My bro and I, had a bit of a wait (the store was fairly busy) and the guy doing the engraving was behind. He did manage to get us all taken care of though. :)

I'd submit paperwork/eform, get receiver engraved, get approved, buy or cut barrel. Guess you could engrave a barrel too. Eform should be faster. I've never done an SBS, just SBRs and a suppressor. But it's the same process.
Hold up.

submit form & paperwork
Get approved
THEN get engraving done
After engraving, assemble your SBS into SBS form

You can have it engraved before hand, or after approval. I could legally have a shotgun receiver engraved with my name today, even if I never plan on submitting it for an SBS. It's not illegal to add information. If you have it engraved ahead of time, and you are not approved, oh well it has your name and the city you had planned to build it in on it. It might be a harsh reminder of not getting approved, but you'll survive. ;)

Get some FBI form FD-258 fingerprint cards. As well as a ink pad.

The website has been super slow lately, so you may need up to 20-30 minutes to input all the basic information. It's best to snap a selfie of yourself before hand and upload it to the computer or device you will be using to file online. No hats no glasses. Basically a headshot. Look online for

After you file, and pay the tax, you'll get an email from the ATF with a sample form 1 and a cover letter. Take the cover letter and two completed fingerprint cards and mail it to the address listed on the cover letter. Print out the redacted LEO copy of the sample form in the email and mail it to your local Leo.

Wait.

You can get it engraved before or after, your choice. Seeing as it is a shotgun with removable barrels. I'd engraved the short barrel, not the gun itself. When that barrel is on it, it is an SBS. When it has the regular barrel on it, it'sa regular shotgun.

Have fun and once complete, you'll be part of the NFA club. It's not that cool of a club, considering a lot of our stuff is smaller than others! LOL

Dremels rule! :)
entleman4561_Mobile_20Uploads_IMG_1026_zpsc904fa27.jpg

So if you engrave before the AFT approves your paperwork, you could have what happened to me to you..

Submitted with SN of XXX-XXX-T
They returned stamp with SN of XXX-XXXT
No dash.

So then you'd have a stamp that doesn't match your device.

Just saying.. I'm not a professional.

So if you engrave before the AFT approves your paperwork, you could have what happened to me to you..

No dash.

That sucks!

I use pretty simple serial numbers. Like 1234 and such. No symbols.

I get your point though.

That sucks!

I use pretty simple serial numbers. Like 1234 and such. No symbols.

I get your point though.
I always err on caution.

and you need to dremel an SBR like that. I did a nasty scratch on my first Suppressor but mine looked good compared to that.

I always err on caution.

and you need to dremel an SBR like that. I did a nasty scratch on my first Suppressor but mine looked good compared to that.
Understandable after they messed up.

I would hope they wouldn't screw up your name and address though for a non suppressor form 1.

An easy way to dremal engrave is to print your info out into a mailing label or printable sticker. Place the sticker onto the item and use it as a guide. Ball cutters with the best I find. Once done use some goo gone to remove the sticker.

Pro tip, keep sticker on and borrow your wife's nail Polish to fill in the engraved parts and the sticker acts to aid clean up.

No dash.

Excellent point, I almost mentioned that. Sucks for sure!

You can get it engraved before or after, your choice. Seeing as it is a shotgun with removable barrels. I'd engraved the short barrel, not the gun itself. Regardless of where you engrave it, When that the short barrel is on it, it is an SBS. When it has the regular barrel on it, it's a regular shotgun.

Just a slight correction/clarification on this since it sounds like the OP is new to the NFA game...

It is only a NFA item, subject to the NFA rules, when it is in an NFA configuration.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top