JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all,

So I purchased a RRA LAR15 pistol a year or so ago with the intention of SBRing it when WA laws changed. Just realized that both the upper and the lower are marked "Pistol Only". Does that mean that it cannot be SBRed even if it is registered?

I can write "pink fluffy kitty" on a rifle or a pistol but that does not make it a pink fluffy kitty.

I can write "pistol only" on everyone of my rifles but they are still legally rifles. Simple writing does not determine what is legal. On top of that NOTING about an upper on an AR has anything to do with the legal status of rifle/pistol/NFA, since the lower is the "firearm" according to the ATF.

Pistols are LEGALLY turned into SBR all the time. YES you can legally make an AR lower no matter what is stamped on the side into an SBR following all NFA rules.

I am not sure why people buy guns with extra ugly crap written on them since it has no bearing on their legal status.

In the mean time, hold the buffer tube against your shoulder and shoot it like a rifle anyway.

I don't ever shoulder it. I'm fairly tall and it is just not comfortable to shoot it like that.

I can write "pink fluffy kitty" on a rifle or a pistol but that does not make it a pink fluffy kitty.

I can write "pistol only" on everyone of my rifles but they are still legally rifles. Simple writing does not determine what is legal. On top of that NOTING about an upper on an AR has anything to do with the legal status of rifle/pistol/NFA, since the lower is the "firearm" according to the ATF.

Pistols are LEGALLY turned into SBR all the time. YES you can legally make an AR lower no matter what is stamped on the side into an SBR following all NFA rules.

I see. thanks for that information. I will keep it around after all! :s0155:

Have no idea. heard rumors that it may be up for review next year. I guess it may just be wishful thinking...

For the next few years it will more than likely be wishful thinking. The guys pushing it have been fairly successful in developing their strategies and arguments for past legislation but I think this one is going to be one tough sell.

I ran into the same thing years ago when I picked up a rra lower for cheap. The lower was sold as a "pistol" but after doing some research I believe you can turn it into a rifle but once that is done you can't go back. Once the stock was on you were committed to keeping it a rifle. This was of coarse in Oregon and I don't know what your current laws are in Washington.

I am not sure why people buy guns with extra ugly crap written on them since it has no bearing on their legal status.

What he said. The only reason they put "Pistol Only" on them is to appease the squeamish. It has no bearing on what the firearm is. Regardless, it is also perfectly acceptable (with the proper approval) to convert any pistol to SBR, when you see a Glock SBR it's perfectly clear that the firearm USED to be a pistol.

The ATF just ruled that you can go back and forth now as far as building a pistol to rifle and then back to a pistol. There is a thread that pinkhamr just posted in the legal and political section about it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top