Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

SBR Questions

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by oregonty, Apr 2, 2011.

1. oregonty

oregonty Salem, OR Active Member

I am in the process of building a SBR. The paper work has been submitted to the BATF. The rifle is being register as a 5.56 SBR. After I get my tax stamp, here are my questions.....

1. If I want to purchase a short barrel 9mm upper for my lower (register as a SBR 5.56) is that ok?

2. If I posses more than one short barrel upper for this rifle and have other lowers not register as SBR's can I be charged with Intent to construct an unregister SBR?

Thanks,

Ty

2. stmcelroy

stmcelroy Madras, OR Well-Known Member

1. Yes

2. Probably not.

3. oregonty

I would like to have several different caliber SBR uppers for this lower. Just wanting to be on the str8 and narrow.

4. lfromsalem

lfromsalem Salem, OR Member

If the caliber change is NOT permanent, then you do NOT need to notify the BATFE.

5. oregonty

Can anyone direct me to that appropriate place on the BATF website that I could find the answer. I just want to make sure I remain on the right side of the law. I have looked around on their website and just ended up not finding what I was looking for.

6. oregonty

Also, what happens if I sell the 5.56 upper and am only left with the 9mm upper? Sorry for all the questions! :) This is my first time if you couldn't tell.

7. Rammit

Rammit Bothel Member

I would register the lower in all caliber you intend to shoot or MIGHT shoot. Similar to the HK sears. While it may not be a problem to swap uppers for a session selling the registered upper may arise as an issue, you need to submit a memo stating the change of caliber to the ATF as it would be considered a permanent change. The only other problem I see is if you have in your possession SBR uppers and neither a pistol or SBR lower, that could be conceived a intent to construct an illegal weapon

8. waltermitty

waltermitty seattle Active Member

come now...
    no, that would mean that you're in possession of uncontrolled parts....absent any
    matching firearm receiver which mates to it. you could own countless uppers
    with short barrels - there is no prohibition, though it does make one's eyebrows
    twitch.

there is no such thing as an SBR lower vis a vis, the AR family.

9. Abiqua

Abiqua Oregon Active Member

You would need to notify the ATF of the caliber change. Temporary caliber and barrel length changes do not need to notify the ATF.