JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just to make sure I have this correct:
  • I'm using an Aero Precision lowed w/ manufacturer SN
  • I provide the Make, model and SN already engraved

Will I need to get anything engraved on the receiver to denote it's a SBR?

With a manufacturers brand and serial on it.
You will need your full name as it is on the stamp paperwork, your city and state and the caliber you registered it as.

If your lower that you're filling says multi caliber do you just choose one for the form? Like 556/223 even though the lower isn't designated as such? Thanks
You do have to enter a caliber on the form. Most people enter what ever is labeled on their barrel.

Just to make sure I have this correct:
  • I'm using an Aero Precision lowed w/ manufacturer SN
  • I provide the Make, model and SN already engraved

Will I need to get anything engraved on the receiver to denote it's a SBR?
You do have to engrave a Manufacture name (Usually your First and Last name if filing as an individual or Trust Name if using Trust), City and State because you are manufacturing a NFA Firearm and that is the same info that you would put on the Form 1.

Making your first SBR is kinda confusing but after that you will get the process.

Last Edited:
Why SBR an AR, when you can shoulder a arm brace?

That may no longer be allowed assuming Biden is sworn in. He has already said that pistol braces and 80% lowers are in the cross hairs. Looking at the SBR process to get in line while the line is short. The real drawback is engraving my name and state on the receiver. It might be wort it to create a one or two person trust just to avoid that.

It does require a legit Manufacture name, City and State. Model name and serial number can be made up.

I did form 1 sbr from an 80% and used the name of my trust as the manufacturer. I felt like that was the cleanest way of doing it so I didn't have to engrave an anodized lower and then re-anodize or cerakote to have it look clean. For me the process was:
1. Have 80% lower engraved with atf requirements and name of trust as manufacturer.
2. Mill 80% to completion and apply for form 1.
3. Cerakote the completed lower after milling and engraving.

Gave me a super clean and uniform lower that I only had to cerakote once.

The ATF inspector called me to make sure I had completed the forms right since he was used to seeing common manufacturers listed, not trust names. I told him exactly what I was doing and he approved my form 1.

That may no longer be allowed assuming Biden is sworn in. He has already said that pistol braces and 80% lowers are in the cross hairs. Looking at the SBR process to get in line while the line is short. The real drawback is engraving my name and state on the receiver. It might be wort it to create a one or two person trust just to avoid that.
Which is why I'm considering doing it now.

When submitting a Form1 application efile, we then follow up with the mailed-in print cards. If we file at the same time for 2 or so Form ones, do we have to submit a set of 2 cards to the ATF and 2 to the CLEO for each form 1? OR can we have one set of print cards to cover the two or so form ones submitted at the same time?

All my form 1s to date were done via Silencershop and took almost as long as a form 4. Would like to run a few efile.

When submitting a Form1 application efile, we then follow up with the mailed-in print cards. If we file at the same time for 2 or so Form ones, do we have to submit a set of 2 cards to the ATF and 2 to the CLEO for each form 1? OR can we have one set of print cards to cover the two or so form ones submitted at the same time?

All my form 1s to date were done via Silencershop and took almost as long as a form 4. Would like to run a few efile.
I am filing my first efile tonight. Hope the turn around time is short.

Didnt get a cover letter after I filled out the fourm 1 just payed and hit submit. It sent payment verification but no cover letter
I think it can take a few days. At least that's what ive been told. I just submitted mine as well.

I think it can take a few days. At least that's what ive been told. I just submitted mine as well.
Do you have a spot that you're getting your fingerprints at. I have one spot by my house but I'm not sure if the wait time the 10 days starts after I hit submit or after my cover letter comes in

Do you have a spot that you're getting your fingerprints at. I have one spot by my house but I'm not sure if the wait time the 10 days starts after I hit submit or after my cover letter comes in
I rolled my own in the kitchen lol.

If someone plans to transfer an 80% to another individual or build an NFA item from an 80%, it will require engravings. If someone builds an 80%, keeps it to themselves and uses it as a pistol or rifle, it doesn't need a serial.

Once government/ATF documents are involved, the 80% will require manufacture and serial number engravings. Some will realize that SBRing/Form 1ing an 80% defeats the purpose of the 80% lower.
Thats your state law for title 1 stuff. You dont have to engrave anything if you transfer a title 1 gun built on an 80% in most states FTF. Once you get dealers though involved there is no way to transfer an unmarked modern gun through a dealer.

Engraving:

If you have a lower marked multi the caliber has to be engraved somewhere on the gun. Usually barrels have the caliber engraved and while no one will ever look at your engraving and its really a non issue its still a legal requirement. For AR's and other modular guns it makes the most sense to engrave the lower. I usually have mine done at the bottom of the mag well on the lip where its inconspicuous. You can have the lower engraved prior to getting your stamp BTW. I usually pick up a receiver at my dealer and finish the SBR stuff online while I am waiting for the BGC. On the way home I stop by the engraved and have the lower engraved. In 3 weeks I get my stamp and all is right with the world. On fixed barrel guns like HK's, stribogs etc where its not a modular design I engrave the barrel. Legal and if I ever want to sell the gun years later its easier to untangle.

My prints will be at 10 business days on Monday and USPS tracking says the envelope is still "in transit". If they aren't delivered Monday, looks like I need to go through the process all over again. What a bunch of crap.

My prints will be at 10 business days on Monday and USPS tracking says the envelope is still "in transit". If they aren't delivered Monday, looks like I need to go through the process all over again. What a bunch of crap.
My experience that anything you do with the USPS that is outside of normal First Class only slows things down. Anything with tracking slows it down . Priority makes it slower. Signature verification makes it slower. Certified Mail? You could walk it faster. 2 stamps on a large manilla envelope no tracking it will be there in 3 days.

In any case use the call the experts function Monday morning and tell them it is going to be late. They will put a note on your account.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top