JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Gonna SBR the grasshopper mouse and want to go the individual way.....reason being is I dont wanna have to get a passport, as I do not travel....anyway, i understand i need two sets of fingerprints, one for the ATF and one for the Multnomah County Sheriff? And they need to be on paper, not computerized? Also, I live in Multnomah, so i would be sending the form the ATF sends me along with the fingerprint sheets to the Mult Co Sheriff, correct? Are the Sheriffs currently okaying people's SBR requests? Thanks in advance...

Create a profile on the Eforms website. Get all of your information written down in advance. Things you'll need, OAL, barrel length, caliber. They have a pretty good system for finding the make and model of your gun in their drop down section when you get to that point. It's good to have your chief Leo information on hand. I always just use the district attorney for oregons info. Once completed, you pay the $200 and they email you a cover letter that you will mail along with your 2 sets of finger prints to. I do my fingerprints at home with a basic ink pad and knock off forms from Amazon. You then fold up the redacted CLEO version into a paper plane and throw it in the direction of your local Leo office (or mail it).

thats what i am curious about...you say have my chief LEO info on hand....i have the Mult Co Sheriff, and the chief of police of Portland....which one is my "chief LEO"? And now you say you can send it to the DA as the chief LEO? Now Im even MORE confused....lol! Or, when i am done, and they send me the cover letter, will it have the name of the chief LEO on it and the address?....and you say both sets of prints go to the ATF, and none go to the Chief LEO?

The fingerprints all go to the ATF.......not to your sheriff.

As for notifying a CLEO.........you can send notice to the sheriff, police chief, DA, local mall cop, whoever you like. They do not get a say in the approval process. It is simply a notice. The last two I did I sent to the Oregon Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum. There is a joke about folding your notice into a paper airplane and launching it toward Salem. Doing so meets your obligation. While that is a joke, it is not far from the truth. Just drop your notice in the mail and you are done. No need to think on it any further.

-E-

The fingerprints all go to the ATF.......not to your sheriff.

As for notifying a CLEO.........you can send notice to the sheriff, police chief, DA, mall cop, whoever you like. They do not get a say in the approval process. It is simply a notice. The last two I did I sent to the Oregon Attorney General Ellen Rosenblum. There is a joke about folding your notice into a paper airplane and launching it toward Salem. Doing so meets your obligation. While that is a joke, it is not far from the truth. Just drop your notice in the mail and you are done. No need to think on it any further.

-E-
Okay, cool! So, the Sheriff (or whoever) isnt going to have a say whether i get the SBR tax stamp then?

so basically i need a picture and two sets of fingerprints on the correct cards, and $200, then go on efile and get er done?....atf never asks for proof i sent the notice to the LEO? If they do, what proof should I have that it was sent?

Thanks for your patience everyone, i tend to overthink schit, if you havent figured that out yet....lol!

so basically i need a picture and two sets of fingerprints on the correct cards, and $200, then go on efile and get er done?....atf never asks for proof i sent the notice to the LEO? If they do, what proof should I have that it was sent?

Thanks for your patience everyone, i tend to overthink schit, if you havent figured that out yet....lol!
They won't ask. I have often wondered if I should even bother doing it since it is such a useless effort and there is no way to prove either way if I did it or not. I send one anyway simply because I am a law abiding guy. :D I keep a copy of my canned letter on my computer and just type the correct date when I send one.

-E-

If you efile, you'll take a selfie on your phone and upload it when filling everything out.

You literally just throw the redacted copy in an envelope and send it to whatever local or regional law enforcement you believe is chief enough. Give it to your wife if she is in charge!

Create a profile on the Eforms website. Get all of your information written down in advance. Things you'll need, OAL, barrel length, caliber. They have a pretty good system for finding the make and model of your gun in their drop down section when you get to that point. It's good to have your chief Leo information on hand. I always just use the district attorney for oregons info. Once completed, you pay the $200 and they email you a cover letter that you will mail along with your 2 sets of finger prints to. I do my fingerprints at home with a basic ink pad and knock off forms from Amazon. You then fold up the redacted CLEO version into a paper plane and throw it in the direction of your local Leo office (or mail it).

Please help me understand what happens when the rules change on braces.

I bought this pistol with a brace. I need to follow the steps you outlined above next month. Thank you.

Smith-Wesson-M-P-15-22-22lr-AR-15-Pistol-Optics-Ready-Black-Palmetto-State-Armory.png

Please help me understand what happens when the rules change on braces.

I bought this pistol with a brace. I need to follow the steps you outlined above next month. Thank you.

View attachment 1244219
There is no help understanding the ATFs views on things or any crystal ball to what will happen once they actually make a decision on braces.

As for filing a form 1. Best bet is to start by getting onto the ATF efile site and creating an account. From there ask away.

There is no help understanding the ATFs views on things or any crystal ball to what will happen once they actually make a decision on braces.

As for filing a form 1. Best bet is to start by getting onto the ATF efile site and creating an account. From there ask away.
Thank you.

I didn't understand that no decision has been made.

Okay, cool! So, the Sheriff (or whoever) isnt going to have a say whether i get the SBR tax stamp then?
True. I always defer to using the Sheriff as they are more citizen-oriented. Police chiefs are elected and subject to the whims of politicians.
Wash Co Sheriff's CHL division used to provide expert copies of your fingerprints, but that was before COVID. The chief LEO you choose will just be notified of your application. Bets on the forum are that no one there ever looks at them; just more paperwork.

I'm planning on SBR'ng more than one lower - do they require a separate set of fingerprints for each one?
If you need print cards or a print pad let me know. I got a bunch laying around. Unless you're going to do the new electronic fingerprints that get uploaded in the system. I haven't gone down that road. Just heard/read about it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top