JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Submitted December 10th
Approved December 29th

My first one.

So aside from keeping a copy of the stamp in my safe, do I need a copy with me at all times when I leave my house with the rifle (like going to the range)?

I haven't looked at the NFA regulations on that exact question, but I take a stamp along with every NFA item every time it leaves the safe regardless of whether it is legally required. There are many LE who are not gun enthusiasts and who don't realize some NFA items are legal in my state. The ability to say "It's legal because of that paperwork in the gun case" might be sufficient to avoid an erroneous arrest.

Technically no, you do not have to have anything with you when you go shoot. There are no regulations from the ATF that say you must have the stamp in your immediate possession. BUT it does save you the hassle should you have an interaction with LE or an over zealous RO. I typically do have a copy of my stamps with me, as I keep them in my normal range bags, but I also don't worry about it if I don't have a stamp handy for whatever reason.

It came as an email so saving it on your phone is another option. I also reduced the size of one, printed it out and sealed it in a seal-a-meal bag and keep it in the bag for that gun. I believe the regs say that you are required to produce the stamp if asked for it by ATF. Like others have stated, you'll most likely be asked by someone that has no business asking you for your stamp, but who can make trouble for you if you tell them to pack sand, which is the appropriate answer. It's a decision about which battles are worth fighting.

Always have a copy of the stamped form (keep the original in a safe place). I also carry a copy of ORS 166.272 with section (3) highlighted, in case you encounter an LEO who does not know the law (which is rare).

166.272 Unlawful possession of machine guns, certain short-barreled firearms and firearms silencers. (1) A person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a machine gun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun or firearms silencer if the person knowingly possesses any machine gun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun or firearms silencer.

(2) Unlawful possession of a machine gun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun or firearms silencer is a Class B felony.

(3) A peace officer may not arrest or charge a person for violating subsection (1) of this section if the person has in the person's immediate possession documentation showing that the machine gun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun or firearms silencer is registered as required under federal law.

(4) It is an affirmative defense to a charge of violating subsection (1) of this section that the machine gun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun or firearms silencer was registered as required under federal law. [1989 c.839 §13a; 1997 c.749 §8; 1997 c.798 §1]

I take a copy with me as well. Most cops don't know much about ATF paperwork/stamps/etc. Like @SCARed said it saves you the hassle if for some reason you get stopped.

Its just a couple sheets of paper so I kind of go overkill. One in my range bag, safe, glove box, and a PDF at the ready on my phone.

Congrats dude! What did ya get???

Always have a copy of the stamped form (keep the original in a safe place). I also carry a copy of ORS 166.272 with section (3) highlighted, in case you encounter an LEO who does not know the law (which is rare).

166.272 Unlawful possession of machine guns, certain short-barreled firearms and firearms silencers. (1) A person commits the crime of unlawful possession of a machine gun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun or firearms silencer if the person knowingly possesses any machine gun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun or firearms silencer.

(2) Unlawful possession of a machine gun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun or firearms silencer is a Class B felony.

(3) A peace officer may not arrest or charge a person for violating subsection (1) of this section if the person has in the person's immediate possession documentation showing that the machine gun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun or firearms silencer is registered as required under federal law.

(4) It is an affirmative defense to a charge of violating subsection (1) of this section that the machine gun, short-barreled rifle, short-barreled shotgun or firearms silencer was registered as required under federal law. [1989 c.839 §13a; 1997 c.749 §8; 1997 c.798 §1]

Great answer! Thanks for the citation idea, I will do that.

Congrats dude! What did ya get???

My first AR full build :)

And not my last....

I make several copies.
I keep one in every gun bag/case and range bag.
Also keep a set hidden away in my truck just in case.

I have been asked of I have paperwork many times over the years. I have only been asked once to show any and the officer didn't even take it in hand when I produced them.

I keep a half size copy in here. That way it's always with the firearm and I don't have to go through the duplicate effort of putting copies in every range bag or glove compartment that I own.

IMG_3030-scaled.jpg

I have never been questioned about any NFA weapon on a State, public, or private range. Maybe its a Southern thing. I always kept a copy in the car. Still do. For all of them.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top