JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am taking my lower up to BYE this afternoon, I called them and they said that when the engrave it, it generally shows up silver or the color of the metal underneath the anodizing. Any ideas on how to reblack the engraving?

Yup! Get a bottle of Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black and it will reblack it in seconds. Gary

Goldsmiths I think is the name. Corner of Stephens an mcandrews. Across from the chase and Safeway. I like how it turned out. It isn't repainted black though, where they engraved it. It kept the shiny engraved metal look. Pm me your email and I can send a pic. I think it's easier and cheaper than having to send it off and have a week or two turn around.

I've read a couple of posts on here about getting the receiver engraved before the tax stamp comes back. It seems like the engraving should be done after the stamp comes in just in case something doesn't go right with the approval, What am I missing here?

I've read a couple of posts on here about getting the receiver engraved before the tax stamp comes back. It seems like the engraving should be done after the stamp comes in just in case something doesn't go right with the approval, What am I missing here?

reverse your thought. Engraving on a non-nfa item does nothing other than probably kill value. If the engraving gets screwed up on an NFA item you may now be in posession of an item not properly marked.

I've used Bye Engraving at Portland several times. I know it will be a long drive for you but it is cheaper and, if you call them up, you can arrange to wait while they engrave, which is what I've done each time. I cannot recommend them enough.

I drove from south of Roseburg up to use BYE to engrave two lowers for me. Excellent work and it was either $20 or $25 each to have done. They were even able to put mine underneath the trigger housing.

I would just find a trophy shop and make sure they can make the markings per code (.0030" deep, 1/16" tall, roman letters/arabic numerals). The height for makers name and location (city,st) I don't believe is called out in the code but the 1/16" serial number height requirement will surely suffice.
Can any of you fine people let me know where this info in bold might be found?
I did find the spec's on depth and how tall the letter's/ numbers should be, this is a font question.

I would just find a trophy shop and make sure they can make the markings per code (.0030" deep, 1/16" tall, roman letters/arabic numerals). The height for makers name and location (city,st) I don't believe is called out in the code but the 1/16" serial number height requirement will surely suffice.

Found it!, It's in the ATF NFA handbook in section 7.4.1.1,

Section 7.4 The identification of firearms.
7.4.1 Serial numbers. Each manufacturer of a firearm must legibly identify it by engraving, stamping
(impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing on the firearm's frame or receiver an individual serial
number not duplicating any serial number placed by the manufacturer on any other firearm.120 The
requirement that the marking be "conspicuously" placed on the firearm means that the marking must be
wholly unobstructed from plain view. For firearms manufactured on or after January 30, 2002, the serial
number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch.
7.4.1.1 What is an acceptable serial number? Alpha characters (letters), for example a name,
are not acceptable as a serial number. A proper serial number may contain such characters or
letters, but it must have at least one numeric character (number). ATF takes the view that
marking "legibly" means using exclusively Roman letters (A, B, C, and so forth) and Arabic
numerals (1, 2, 3, and so forth).121 Deviations from this requirement have been found to
seriously impair ATF's ability to trace firearms involved in crime.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top