JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I was looking at Washington State firearms laws set to go into effect in July. I own an SBR and came across a couple of things that do not make sense.

Can anyone direct me to legal counsel to explain to me what the law requires? I have over $3000 invested in my SBR, and do not want to turn it in as contraband. I have been scrupulous in adhering to Federal law and the new state mandated storage requirements. It appears that one law says my SBR is legal to own in accordance with Federal law, and yet the next law in the judicial code declares it to be contraband, and must not only be surrendered, but that "... it shall be the duty of all peace officers, and/or any officer or member of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington, to seize said machine gun, bump-fire stock, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or parts thereof, wherever and whenever found".

Both of these laws go into effect July 1 2019, and are contradictory. Have I misread the laws, or what?

I am looking at RCW 9.41.190, Provision 2 and RCW 9.41.220.

RCW 9.41.190
Unlawful firearms—Exceptions. (Effective July 1, 2019.)

(1) Except as otherwise provided in this section, it is unlawful for any person to:
(a) Manufacture, own, buy, sell, loan, furnish, transport, or have in possession or under control, any machine gun, bump-fire stock, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle;
(b) Manufacture, own, buy, sell, loan, furnish, transport, or have in possession or under control, any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, bump-fire stock, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle; or
(c) Assemble or repair any machine gun, bump-fire stock, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle.
(2) It is not unlawful for a person to manufacture, own, buy, sell, loan, furnish, transport, assemble, or repair, or have in possession or under control, a short-barreled rifle, or any part designed or intended solely and exclusively for use in a short-barreled rifle or in converting a weapon into a short-barreled rifle, if the person is in compliance with applicable federal law.

RCW 9.41.220
Unlawful firearms and parts contraband. (Effective July 1, 2019.)

All machine guns, bump-fire stocks, short-barreled shotguns, or short-barreled rifles, or any part designed and intended solely and exclusively for use in a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or in converting a weapon into a machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, illegally held or illegally possessed are hereby declared to be contraband, and it shall be the duty of all peace officers, and/or any officer or member of the armed forces of the United States or the state of Washington, to seize said machine gun, bump-fire stock, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle, or parts thereof, wherever and whenever found.

If this has been discussed elsewhere, I apologise, and ask that someone direct me to the appropriate thread.

NFA stamped SBR's were just made legal in WA a couple of years ago... now I'm wondering if this supersedes that?

The Governor of Washington has signed a bill which clarifies that it is both legal to buy an SBR and build an SBR. Senate bill 6165 was created to address the uncertainty as to whether it was legal to build an SBR in the state of Washington. While it was clear that one could be purchase in WA, ATF stopped approving Form 1 Applications for the manufacture of an SBR in the state last year because of some ambiguity in the law. The new bill signed by the Governor clarifies that it is legal to build and buy an SBR in the state of Washington. To see what NFA firearms are legal in WA, see our WA NFA state pages

SB6165 is effective 90 days after the adjournment of the legislative session. The 2016 Special Session adjourned on March 10, 2016 so this would mean around June 9th or just prior to the new ATF changes in 41F

The best we can do is to refer you to seek your own counsel.

I hope you understand why we can't get involved with any legal opinions or advise.

Thread closed.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top