JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Planning to build an SBR. I know for the Form 1 app you need barrel length, over all length and a few other key details.

I had planned to purchase a lower/upper set and sit on them while the paper work goes through. After reading the rest of the requirements do I have to have all the parts on hand so i can get these mock up measurements or do you have to buy pre-made?

thanks

I think it is just an estimate. You can look up overall length based in barrel length online. Be Leary of "intent to construct" or whatever. I wouldn't buy all the parts before the stamp comes in unless I had a cheap pistol buffer tube on the lower.

Do not mock up an SBR until you have the stamp and have engraved the firearm according to BATFE specs. Also beware the constructive possession risk of buying all of the SBR parts before you have the stamp. For example, unless you have a pistol AR lower, don't buy a <16" barrel.

Well i mean i dont have to assemble them to measure the individual parts and add. I do have AR pistols so I shouldnt have any legal issue owning any individual pieces.

My biggest concert was when they want over all length how exact are we talking, like is a half inch going to get me in trouble or what's the spec?

Just put an SBA3 on it until the paperwork comes back.

To my knowledge no one that I've read about or heard of has had their ppwk checked against the actual item. I'm no lawyer though.

I'd measure using another complete rifle with the stock you want to use fully extended. The measure the upper you want on a complete pistol. Use a little math and you have your overall length.

Get the SBR BATFE tax stamp IN HAND BEFORE collecting ANY parts. Yep ... constructive intent. You can engrave either the frame, receiver or barrel(s). Once you have that needed letter or tax stamp, THEN buy all the pieces. Keep invoice records.

Once you have the tax stamp or letter you can run multiple barrel lengths on your registered and engraved frame receiver or barrel. I registered and engraved my Ruger 10-22 receiver. The same with an AR15 lower receiver. The barrels must be less than 16".

However, to get that tax stamp you need to express one particular barrel length and overall length on the tax stamp form. But once you get that tax stamp you can run different SBR barrel lengths and SBR overall lengths as long as the barrel(s) are less than 16".

With that one registered AR15 SBR lower, you can then have all the fun of collecting different caliber SBR top assemblies. You can also run 16" or longer barrels as long as the overall length is legal for rifles. The registered SBR lower receiver is flexible.

My Ruger 10-22 registered SBR receiver gets converted back and forth. 8 inch barrel. 10 inch barrel. Sometimes a 18" barrel and a legal rifle OAL. Apple Seed. Sometimes a supressor, sometimes not. Easy and fun to learn up on the rules of SBR tax stamps.

All Oregon State Laws, US Code Laws And BATFE Rules And Regulations Apply. Your State and local gun laws may vary greatly.

Green Mountain Rifle Barrels.

Elite Iron Suppressors.

Choate Folding Stocks.

Butler Creek Folding Stocks.

Vorquartsen 10-22 goodies.

Get the SBR BATFE tax stamp IN HAND BEFORE collecting ANY parts. Yep ... constructive intent. You can engrave either the frame, receiver or barrel(s). Once you have that needed letter or tax stamp, THEN buy all the pieces. Keep invoice records.

Vorquartsen 10-22 goodies.

Thanks for all the info, I would at least need to buy a lower because they need a serial. I can hold off on anything else.

Options........

1. Purchase a lower receiver. Apply. Wait. Buy parts when approved.

2. Start with a pistol. Apply. Buy your shoulder stock when approved.

3. Start with a pistol. Buy a brace. Apply. Buy your real shoulder stock when approved.

4. Start with a rifle. Apply. Buy your short barrel when approved.

You can get your measurements from a simple Internet search. You don't need to be exact to the 1/64th. No one is ever going to measure it anyway.

Personally I think it best and most practical to have the lower receiver engraved on a AR platform SBR.

E

Last Edited:
Sounds good,

Also i was hearing people getting approved for this in like a month or so, maybe i didnt hear the truth? Different wait times than suppressors?

Sounds good,

Also i was hearing people getting approved for this in like a month or so, maybe i didnt hear the truth? Different wait times than suppressors?

My SBR took 323 days from submission to receiving my stamp. Paper submission.

I have been hearing of 2-4 week approvals using e-file since it came back online a few months ago.

E

Ive had them take between 17 days and 13 months. No idea where it is now.

No one will ever measure your SBR. Constructive intent is one of those internet boogeymen. Just saying.

The is NO SUCH THING as "Constructive Intent". It doesn't exist.
Constructive Possesion does exist and is what you theoretically can get busted for. Although like Wired said, it's an internet boogeyman. You have to royally screw up in other aspects of you life before that will ever come into play.

Options........

1. Purchase a lower receiver. Apply. Wait. Buy parts when approved.

2. Start with a pistol. Apply. Buy your shoulder stock when approved.

3. Start with a pistol. Buy a brace. Apply. Buy your real shoulder stock when approved.

4. Start with a rifle. Apply. Buy your short barrel when approved.

You can get your measurements from a simple Internet search. You don't need to be exact to the 1/64th. No one is ever going to measure it anyway.

Personally I think it best and most practical to have the lower receiver engraved on a AR platform SBR.

E
I have an 80% lower, so there is no number to put on the application. I understand that you can make up a ser. number for 80% lowers. Would that need to be engraved prior to filling out the form? Your last comment was to have the lower engraved, which I assume you meant after you receive the number from BATFE. If the lower has to be engraved with the ser. number that I make up for it, then I would need to have it engraved a second time with the SBR number - correct?

No. You make up a number and put it on there with the rest of the required info. You can do it now and then send in the paperwork. It doesnt matter when you do it as long as it is done before you assemble the SBR. The ATF does not assign you a number.

I have an 80% lower, so there is no number to put on the application. I understand that you can make up a ser. number for 80% lowers. Would that need to be engraved prior to filling out the form? Your last comment was to have the lower engraved, which I assume you meant after you receive the number from BATFE. If the lower has to be engraved with the ser. number that I make up for it, then I would need to have it engraved a second time with the SBR number - correct?
What needs to be engraved on an SBR is caliber (which might already be on the lower, but I don't believe "Multi" counts), maker (that's you or your trust), and the city it was made in.

I'm not sure about the 80% S/N question, but I believe you will need one. Since you're already going to be registering it, it might be safest to start with a factory lower.

80% receiver guns are SBR'd all the time. Makers marks are required . Name of individual or trust, city and serial number if the original manufacturer did not put on on the gun and as the maker that would be you. ( You are NOT a manufacturer. That is a totally separate legal entity ) . The serial number can literally be anything alphanumeric. The form 1 will get YOU listed as the original manufacturer ( I know ) even if the SBR is done under a trust. Makes all kinds of sense I know but thats the gist of it.

Important: Most times you do not need to put anything on the gun for caliber as its usually marked on the barrel.

80% receiver guns are SBR'd all the time. Makers marks are required . Name of individual or trust, city and serial number if the original manufacturer did not put on on the gun and as the maker that would be you. ( You are NOT a manufacturer. That is a totally separate legal entity ) . The serial number can literally be anything alphanumeric. The form 1 will get YOU listed as the manufacturer ( I know ) even if the SBR is done under a trust.

Most times you do not need to put anything on the gun for caliber as its usually marked on the barrel.
Good point about the caliber already being stamped on the barrel.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top