Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

SBR and 922r

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by absoluterik07, Apr 23, 2011.

1. absoluterik07

absoluterik07 Salem, OR Member

So apparently as of the middle of last year the general consensus was that all NFA weapons were exempt from 922r violations. Well I plan on SBRing an MP5K clone - MKE AT94k, which is imported in a pistol configuration so is exempt from 922r. However I am hearing alot (mostly on HKpro.com) that now this is untrue if I SBR it. Anybody have any insight to this? I know the reason was because of a letter received from the ATF in response to this question, however the law is vaguely written (as they all seem to be) and until this letter started floating around nobody cared. Thoughts?

2. adipose

adipose Warren Member

922r does apply. I thought differently, because I just did a SBR.

I talked to the NFA dept. at BATF and they told me it didn't, including a e-mail from them. If fact he was getting frustrated with me challenging him. But they also included the section of 922 in this e-mail and if you read it; it does apply.

So I called another dept. and talked to another expert; in which he said; it applies. Better safe than sorry.

One thing I learned from BATF. Get the information or letter from them, covering your issue. Never use someone elses letter for reference or a forum for reference.

Hope that helps.

With all of the good original parts I have; I would rather keep it as original as possible.

3. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

Which I don't get.....922r covers importable "sporting" firearms....SBRs by definition are not sporting, they are restricted NFA items.

4. absoluterik07

Exactly, I can't stand dumb laws! Still wondering how a shorter barrel with less velocity is more deadly and needs to be registered with a $200 tax stamp!

5. Abiqua

Abiqua Oregon Active Member

The logic (not saying it's right or wrong) is that it is more easily concealed.

6. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

LOL... well if they ever issue an CHL/CSBR license... I'm sooooo there!

7. absoluterik07

Haha exactly what I was thinking! I wish Oregon had a CWL instead of CHL and I wouldn't care as much.

8. Reco

Reco Portland Oregon Active Member

HEy you can almost get there. Just get a AR Pistol. About as close to a SBR and Classified as a pistol. It is covered under CHL too. Fun Fun little over-kill though ^^

9. absoluterik07

Haha yea that's what I was going to do until I found the MKE AT94k! It was love at first sight!

10. billdeserthills

billdeserthills Cave Creek, Arizony Well-Known Member

Why do it halfway, make mine a .308 pistol