Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

SBR 9mm lefty

Discussion in 'NFA Weapon Discussion' started by Hoonigan, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Hoonigan

Hoonigan Pacific, Washington, United States New Member

So last week I was out shooting my buddies 9mm AR pistol, well I took a shell in the eyebrow and got a nice cut. Well I have been researching SBR uppers, and cannot find a Company who makes a 9mm SBR upper. Anyone heard of anyone making these, or know of one that has interchangeable ejection? I really don't want to go to the ar57 due to ammo cost. I can shoot right handed, but seriously what's the point of spending all the Cash to custom build a rifle that I cannot feel comfortable shooting. Any help would be grateful guys!

2. bruzer

bruzer Grants Pass, OR Well-Known Member

I am no expert but my first thought is a brass deflector. That is what left handed shooters had to do in the Marine Corps for the M16's. A search on the net will provide more details of the product since I do not have firsthand experience. Good luck,
    Mike

3. levi333

levi333 Albany, OR Active Member

You're probably going to have to make your own using a Stag left handed upper.

4. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Why do you have to have someone make one for you. They are simple enough to build on your own.

Also if you are in WA SBR's are illegal.

5. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

i met a lefty shooting a right handed .223 ar and had some nice cuts around his glasses that protected his eye when he had a KaBoom in a right handed rifle

I have a .223 left handed receiver and bolt for sale posted here

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/part-accessory-classifieds/65484-unusual-dpms-left-handed-receiver-bolt-%24150.html

9mm uses a direct blowback bolt head and i have never seen a left handed 9mm bolt and i think it would be difficult if not impossible to modify one . some one would need to start out with a 9mm bolt before a ejector and extractor cuts was made and cut them on the opposite side . trying to get manufacturers to do custom work like this is difficult to find or even to find one that will sale a unfinished bolt

I made a left handed 7.62x25 rifle using parts like i have for sale
    it requires opening the bolt face and using a 7.62 barrel with custom chamber , gas port and lightend carrier and buffer and mags to make it work and its a hotter rd than 9mm

6. Hoonigan

Hoonigan Pacific, Washington, United States New Member

You are correct, they are illegal as long as you go through the legal process with a dealer. Which I would! I contacted a few makers of lefties but they said they are not making pistol caliber lefty uppers at this time. It sounds like I may have go the ar57 route with the 7" integrally suppressed barrell. I just wish that the 5.7x28 round wasn't so expensive!

7. ch139

ch139 teh gehtoe Active Member

Not sure what you're trying to say there... You're thinkin they're legal or illegal?

Last time I checked it out, the state of Washington does not allow possession of Short Barreled Rifles by individuals.

As for the left handed 9mm arf problem, I'm left handed and have a little 9mm Colt and have never had a problem with brass getting to my face. Bounces right off that big ole gas deflector.