JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, considering the version of the bill that passed out of committee, it looks like the main people who are screwed are those at OR schools, colleges and universities who've knowingly and recklessly been made vulnerable to criminals who'll simply laugh at the "gun-free" zone signs as they walk by. Good job Oregon Democrats (claps sarcastically).

So, considering the version of the bill that passed out of committee, it looks like the main people who are screwed are those at OR schools, colleges and universities who've knowingly and recklessly been made vulnerable to criminals who'll simply laugh at the "gun-free" zone signs as they walk by. Good job Oregon Democrats (claps sarcastically).
No one is screwed. Just keep carrying. No metal detectors... no problems...

For CHLs sure but there's still that pesky issue with locks while not in proximity and while doing transfers and the increase in fees.

This bill should not exist, period.
Agreed. But I won't let it change the direction of my life. Or how I decide to live. The government can't tell its citizens that they can or can't do things when it comes to rights. I'll play ball with certain things but eventually it simply crosses the line. At which point I am no longer compliant. I will be complicit in the eyes of government. I dont work for them.

I'm reading it. Does it mean I just have to carry openly when I go to get my son? Or was that already illegal?

Still reading.

For CHLs sure but there's still that pesky issue with locks while not in proximity and while doing transfers and the increase in fees.

This bill should not exist, period.

That doesn't make any practical change for me - like seatbelt and helmet laws, I was already essentially living that way anyway, but I don't like the existence of such laws.

Agreed. But I won't let it change the direction of my life. Or how I decide to live. The government can't tell its citizens that they can or can't do things when it comes to rights. I'll play ball with certain things but eventually it simply crosses the line. At which point I am no longer compliant. I will be complicit in the eyes of government. I dont work for them.

That doesn't make any practical change for me - like seatbelt and helmet laws, I was already essentially living that way anyway, but I don't like the existence of such laws.

Word to both!

I don't like them having more laws to slam gavels over on innocents

That sign, as of right now, has no force of law. If they pass this bill it will have the force of law. All they can do now is ask you to leave. If this bill is passed into law they can have you arrested.
I quick word search did not find "preemption" in the new version of the bill.

What is concerning:

"(9) 'Public building' means:
"(a) A hospital, a capitol building, a public or private school, as defined in ORS 339.315, a college or university, a city hall or the residence of any
state official elected by the state at large, and the grounds adjacent to each such building. The term also includes that portion of any other building occupied
by an agency of the state or [a municipal corporation, as defined] by a city, a county, a district as defined in ORS 198.010 or any other entity
that falls within the definition of 'municipal corporation' in ORS 297.405, other than a court facility[.]; or
"(b) The passenger terminal of a commercial service airport with over one million passenger boardings per year.

It looks like they are also trying to add Portland METRO to the list of Gun Free zones!

SB554 has been amended to include the lock up bill and repeal of state preemption, and an emergency clause has been added. We can thank Fred Girod and the other five Republican traitors who gave the Democrats the ability to vote on this bill by NOT walking out.

So, in one bill you are now required to leave your CHL weapon at home if you are going anywhere near a school, the airport, the post office, the social security office, a university, and God only knows where else, to keep all of your firearms locked up or disabled whenever they are not on your person, and local entities, from cities and counties on down to presumably school districts, utility districts, and soil conservation districts, will be allowed to create a patchwork of unfathomable regulations about every aspect of firearm ownership, from concealed carry to purchasing, registration, licensing, mandatory liability insurance, gun free zones, etc.

The 2nd Amendment will effectively be repealed in Oregon.

All this spearheaded by that complete Democratic nut job, Ginny Burdick and her accomplices like Prozanski, Kotek, and Courtney. We are so completely screwed!
View attachment 867595
I understand but the idiocy falls on the elected officials who were elected by idiot voters. Guess where they are from? Any particular cities in Oregon?

What is concerning:

"(a) A hospital, a capitol building, a public or private school, as defined in ORS 339.315, a college or university, a city hall or the residence of any
state official elected by the state at large, and the grounds adjacent to each such building. The term also includes that portion of any other building occupied
by an agency of the state or [a municipal corporation, as defined] by a city, a county, a district as defined in ORS 198.010 or any other entity
that falls within the definition of 'municipal corporation' in ORS 297.405, other than a court facility[.]; or
"(b) The passenger terminal of a commercial service airport with over one million passenger boardings per year.

It looks like they are also trying to add Portland METRO to the list of Gun Free zones!
I saw that "and the grounds adjacent to each such building." It was in former versions also, but there was so much worse stuff that it wasn't really noticed. I don't think that it was in one of the original bills, because I noticed that they didn't include the grounds and exempted parking lots. It is tough to keep up with the amendments and changes.

As far as the preemption goes, I think that Senate Republicans would have walked out over that one.

I watched the committee session on the internet and it was very revealing. The absolute worst member was Rep. Holvey. Almost as bad were Fahey, Smith-Warner and Salinas. The very best as far as on "our side" were Zika, Drazan and Bonham who were outvoted as far as moving the bill to the full state legislature. After listening to representatives Holvey, Fahey, Smith-Warner and Salinas, there is absolutely no reason to contact them. They did not even discuss the actual bill, but only their fear and hate of firearms. No way will they ever change their minds. These legislators do not care about the law abiding people of Oregon, but only their own fear. They would just as soon load us into freight cars and ship us off to a place like Auschwitz. Do not ever give up your firearms.

After listening to representatives Holvey, Fahey, Smith-Warner and Salinas, there is absolutely no reason to contact them. They did not even discuss the actual bill, but only their fear and hate of firearms. No way will they ever change their minds. These legislators do not care about the law abiding people of Oregon, but only their own fear. They would just as soon load us into freight cars and ship us off to a place like Auschwitz. Do not ever give up your firearms.

You are correct. Their plans have been revealed. Be ready. 6 parts:

What is concerning:

"Municipal corporation means a:
(a) City;
(b) County;
(c) Special district;
(d) School district or an education service district;
(e) Corporation, except a municipal corporation established pursuant to ORS 441.525 (Definitions for ORS 441.525 to 441.595) to 441.595 (Construction of ORS 441.525 to 441.595), upon which is conferred powers of the state for the purpose of local government; or
(f) Public corporation, including a cooperative body formed between municipal corporations."

As far as I can tell this would include METRO, Tri-Met, and public utility boards like EWEB and CUB. A Special District might include almost anything...a soil conservation district? An irrigation district? They're telling us the latest version of this bill only covers city hall, the state capitol, schools and universities. I don't think that's going to turn out to be accurate.

Last Edited:
No gun laws should exist, the ones in place are all infringements.
Going by the US Constitution there is no such thing as an illegal firearm.
While I agree with you, the reality is that it does exist, and this one will probably be signed into law. We can't rely on shouting "Shall not be infringed!" and let it go at that. Once these bills pass it takes years and millions of dollars to push them through the courts, even if they are clearly unconstitutionally vague, like SB554, or have already been ruled against, like SB2510 (See Heller). The powers that be understand fully that what they are doing is unconstitutional. They will do it anyway, and dare you to spend the time and money to challenge them.

It's much better to defeat them by VOTING!!! It saves a lot of time and money.

Luckily I don't follow "laws" that go against The Constitution and my liberty. That of course comes with consequences but I'm willing to take those risks. Freedom is dangerous. I won't be oppressed; I do what I want. I'm leaving to West Virginia in no time anyway. Best wishes to all those still living in communist states.

Now we know how much money it takes to get Oregon Republicans to sell out our 2A Rights. Four million per Senator and Two million per Representative.

Under a plan being put forward by Senate President Peter Courtney, D-Salem, and House Speaker Tina Kotek, D-Portland, $240 million out of the $2.6 billion in relief money from the recently passed American Rescue Plan Act would be separated out from the normal biennial budgeting process.

Each of Oregon's 90 lawmakers will be allotted a pot of money they can control. Every one of the state's 30 senators will have the authority to spend $4 million in federal funding as they see fit. Every member of the 60-person house will get $2 million to control.

That would explain why Christine Drazan, who led the House walkout last session, has reconsidered the wisdom of that successful strategy. Drazan said that the budget proposal was one key to breaking a logjam in the House, where Republicans had insisted until last week that all bills be read in full before a vote.

Breaking the "logjam" comes with the consequence of selling all Oregon firearms owners down the river.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top