JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, if we wanna talk 'compromise,' how's about training requirements in exchange for being legal to carry everywhere... schools, sporting events, etc.

If we're trained after all, we ought to be good to go, right?

Boss

I think it's time to introduce a bill saying CPL holders should be excempt from the FFL requirement when buying / trading guns. The verification has already been done once, right? It just makes logical sense.

I think it's time to introduce a bill saying CPL holders should be excempt from the FFL requirement when buying / trading guns. The verification has already been done once, right? It just makes logical sense.

Its been tried and went nowhere. 594 wasn't about vetting gun purchasers, it's about record keeping.

Absolutely makes sense, but as we have to remember what the end game here is, that won't fly.

Having thought about this a bit more, not that it's condoned (passing tests to exercise Rights), but *if* there was a place to compromise, this may be it. As A. they already get all your info when you get a CPL. And B. If, heaven forbid you are involved in judicious use of legal force, it wouldn't hurt to have your attorney say 'My client successfully passed the state mandated training and acted in accordance with same.' They may not have thought this one thru very well (if you're stipulating training, and people act in accordance with that training, you start taking on some accountability). However, the training would likely be limited basic safe handling/sensitivity training and stay way away from anything about use-of-force (don't expect any AOJ training).

The caveats would be: Training would need to be easily accessible, short duration-a few hours max, and free (like an on-line course), cover all of your firearms (you don't have to get on each and every one) no recording of firearm info, and easily passible by anyone who can safely handle a firearm, particularly the most vulnerable, say the elderly or disabled. No 'You need a 5-shot group at 25 yds with at least a 48/3X score in under 10 sec' type stuff.

And once passed, you should be able to lawfully carry anywhere you're legally permitted to be.

The other thing to think about is there's reportedly about 608,000 WA CPL holders. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 10% of the state's adult population is licensed to carry a concealed handgun. Let that sink in for a minute. This is likely an attempt to whittle that number down quite a bit.

$.02 worth.

BOSS

I think it's time to introduce a bill saying CPL holders should be exempt from the FFL requirement when buying / trading guns. The verification has already been done once, right? It just makes logical sense.

That'd be nice. I do like the fact that if I show my permit I get bumped to the front of the verification line, though. Went from like 25th in line to 2nd in line (behind another permit holder) on my last purchase. Yeah, still re-verification, but at least it's quicker.

Absolutely makes sense, but as we have to remember what the end game here is, that won't fly.

Having thought about this a bit more, not that it's condoned (passing tests to exercise Rights), but *if* there was a place to compromise, this may be it. As A. they already get all your info when you get a CPL. And B. If, heaven forbid you are involved in judicious use of legal force, it wouldn't hurt to have your attorney say 'My client successfully passed the state mandated training and acted in accordance with same.' They may not have thought this one thru very well (if you're stipulating training, and people act in accordance with that training, you start taking on some accountability). However, the training would likely be limited basic safe handling/sensitivity training and stay way away from anything about use-of-force (don't expect any AOJ training).

The caveats would be: Training would need to be easily accessible, short duration-a few hours max, and free (like an on-line course), cover all of your firearms (you don't have to get on each and every one) no recording of firearm info, and easily passible by anyone who can safely handle a firearm, particularly the most vulnerable, say the elderly or disabled. No 'You need a 5-shot group at 25 yds with at least a 48/3X score in under 10 sec' type stuff.

And once passed, you should be able to lawfully carry anywhere you're legally permitted to be.

The other thing to think about is there's reportedly about 608,000 WA CPL holders. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 10% of the state's adult population is licensed to carry a concealed handgun. Let that sink in for a minute. This is likely an attempt to whittle that number down quite a bit.

$.02 worth.

BOSS

Wow a lot of indoor ranges are about 20 yards only. At least the few that I go to somewhat regularly.

Well, if we wanna talk 'compromise,' how's about training requirements in exchange for being legal to carry everywhere... schools, sporting events, etc.

If we're trained after all, we ought to be good to go, right?

Boss

Sadly there is no compromise to be had, this is all about the gun grabbers taking away our rights.

The D's fully control Olympia, they will take as much as they think they can get away with.

Sadly there is no compromise to be had, this is all about the gun grabbers taking away our rights.

The D's fully control Olympia, they will take as much as they think they can get away with.

Its not about what they THINK they can get away with... they know they can do whatever they want... what are you gonna do? Vote them out?
They're pretty much set and know it.

No interest in hearing from us. Look at the first round of bills they put up... we got TWO days notice of committee hearings. Now, tell me that is not kicking rural WA in the balls. How many people, who dont live within 30 min of the sound can plan to be in Oly all day on only two days notice? Its a dog and pony show anyway, their minds are made up and the hearings are just a formality.

nevertheless, Ill be up there Tuesday for the House hearing on HB1068

Its not about what they THINK they can get away with... they know they can do whatever they want... what are you gonna do? Vote them out?
They're pretty much set and know it.

Until at least the next election yes...let's hope they well remember what happened after the 1994 AWB...a lot of its supporters got their walking papers the next time around. Make no mistake, every politician's #1 Mission is to take care of numero uno. Support these misguided legislative proposals at your own risk. You might get it/them passed, but it might cost you your job next time around.

No interest in hearing from us. Look at the first round of bills they put up... we got TWO days notice of committee hearings. Now, tell me that is not kicking rural WA in the balls. How many people, who dont live within 30 min of the sound can plan to be in Oly all day on only two days notice? Its a dog and pony show anyway, their minds are made up and the hearings are just a formality.

nevertheless, Ill be up there Tuesday for the House hearing on HB1068

Agreed. The schedule certainly is indicative of how little they actually want to 'hear' from us. The committee(s) appear to be largely a façade. And you're right...how many folks, in today's age, can drop projects and cancel/reschedule meetings in two days? Hopefully this is a point that gets hammered several times at the hearing...attendance is simply not feasible for ALOT of folks. IIRC, there was actually a similar situation in regarding utility bills in Seattle, and there was so much stink about it, they wound up having meetings in the evenings so more people could attend).

This is why I keep saying we need a BIG, ginormous weekend rally, cross-coordinated by the NRA, SAF, GOA, GOAL, and every one in between...well planned and coordinated.

*Hopefully* the hearings can at least be somewhat offset by the power of the internet. The link provides a SUPER EASY way for people to make their voices heard. It's been distributed FAR and WIDE in WA...MANY gun shops, ranges, clubs as well as other internet forums. You should be sharing it too...with every one you know.

Washington: Urge Committee Members to Oppose Gun Control

Thousands and thousands of letters may remind some of these politicians they WILL come up for re-election sooner than they think, and their prospects are not as secure as they'd like.

BOSS

Since my most of my handguns of choice look like this :
6.InterlakeMountainMenRendezvous.PistolsandHandguns.1959.JPG
And I have been known to conceal carry a '51 Navy or '60 Army....along with the fact that I have been shooting mostly muzzleloaders and or black powder firearms for 20 plus years now...
I'd love to see someone try to "train" me in their proper use.

Please note that I am not saying that I am the end all , be all of muzzleloading firearms , nor that one can not learn something new.

But I am trying to point out ,admittedly with a extreme example , that often "Set Standards" in any given subject , are many times of a one size fits none , type answer.

More importantly to the conversation :
Just how many CPL owners , have been involved in wrong doing or accidents..?
And just because one receives training , it is no guarantee of "safety".
Andy

^^ That would be hilarious.:)

But don't worry, whatever goes wrong, it'll be your fault.

And yes, its likely the percentage of CPL holders (608K of them) who are involved in violent criminal activity is shockingly small.

Boss

Last Edited:
We've opted to cancel our SHOT Show plans and spend Monday and Tuesday in Olympia. Testifying in both hearings and visiting another 10-12 reps. Without the 2A, Shot show doesn't mean a thing.

At the end of the day, this isn't about safety or training.

No one, anywhere, can show you that WA CHL holders are any more dangerous or reckless than CHL holders in other states which require more training.

This is ONLY about building obstacles to civilians carrying concealed weapons.

Another battle in their fight to destroy the culture. Slowly chip away at old shooters, pressure young people to be antigun, deny them firearms for another three years, limit what guns can be had, limit ammunition possession and sales... Create more barriers to hunting on public land, etc.
Until one day guns are gone, with a whimper instead of a bang. The "cold dead hands" crowd will be cold and dead from old age and subsequent generations will grow up without positive experiences with guns and little appreciaton for constitutional government or their unpopular rights... No concept of history, etc...
Gun culture will fade away and die, like MySpace.

The cultural revolution is in full swing, and probably can't be stopped. Guns are just another front.

We've opted to cancel our SHOT Show plans and spend Monday and Tuesday in Olympia. Testifying in both hearings and visiting another 10-12 reps. Without the 2A, Shot show doesn't mean a thing.

Thank you.

If every gun shop in the PNW was as dedicated and engaged as Sporting Systems, we'd be ALOT closer to stopping this stuff in its tracks.

Boss

Thank you.

If every gun shop in the PNW was as dedicated and engaged as Sporting Systems, we'd be ALOT closer to stopping this stuff in its tracks.

Boss
Too many brownload themselves thinking of the myriad options Caesar's Minions have for bureaucratic retaliation if they rock the boat too much, so they play the Gun Shop Commando game by talking tough among themselves and maybe putting up signs but it's really all Kabuki Theater when push meets shove. Who knows, maybe they think "they'll get a cut of that fat LE Contract action if they throw us under the bus" or something...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top