JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bad news, it's in the judiciary committee which is chaired by one of our favorite gun haters Sen. Floyd Prozanski. Here is link to list members of judiciary committee:
Judiciary Senate 2019 Regular Session - Oregon Legislative Information System

Here link to all state summary info on bill:
SB501 2019 Regular Session - Oregon Legislative Information System

If I'm reading the first link correctly? Dennis Linthicum, Kim Thatcher and Cliff Bentz are in on this. We've got that going for us at least. I'd like to be a fly on the wall during that discussion.

I agree. Their energy would be better spent advocating for increased school security which would be a much more effective means of preventing deaths in school shootings. Just like border security it doesn't seem to be a popular solution among progressive types though. I honestly can't figure out why. Two reasons come to mind. First reason could be that they don't really feel school shootings are a big problem and they just want to use the issue to infringe on law abiding citizens gun rights. Or two they are very ignorant, uniformed, naive, etc and think that restricting gun rights of law abiding citizens will somehow magically make school shootings disappear.

Bottom line, if Dawn Hochsprung and/or Mary Sherlach had been armed, Sandy Hook may have had a very different outcome. They had the guts but not the tools. Yeah, I get it, no one wants that task, but considering the alternative, which is better? You don't defeat evil by denying it's existence or by screwing over the law abiding populous.

Last Edited:
I like how the summary is, "Requires person to secure permit before purchasing or otherwise receiving firearm". What a bunch of BS.

I wrote a letter to my State Senator and State Rep, and I donated to the OFF PAC, and I voted R down the line last fall. Is there anything else we can do at this point?
I just sent this email to Sen Thatcher, we'll see if she or her assts send back a timely reply:
"Dear Sen Thatcher, Congratulations on being reelected to your seat.

As a avid firearm enthusiast, I along with many other Oregonians have a great interest in keeping SB 501 from going to the floor for votes. Is there anything we can do to help keep SB 501 from being released out of committee? Can you give me a brief explanation of the process that is happening at this stage of the committee process? Do you have any insight in to how Sen. Prozanski feels about this bill?

I appreciate your past efforts in guarding our gun rights and would like to help in ways that would be most effective."

I sent this letter to Sen Linthicum:

"Dear Sen. Linthicum,

I am writing you today to ask for advice on how my fellow gun enthusiast and I can help keep SB 501 from being released out of committee? It seems we are outnumbered six ways from Sunday and would like your guidance on how to best use our limited resources to be most effective. Also, can you share your gut feelings on what's going to happen with this bill?"

I sent this letter to Sen Bentz who is also on the judiciary committee:

"
Dear Sen Bentz,

Is there any chance we can prevent SB 501 from leaving the committee? Can my fellow gun enthusiast and I help in any meaningful way? If so please give us some direction on what types of help would be most effective.

Have you spoke with any of your fellow Democrat members of the committee about SB 501. Can you gauge their enthusiasm level for the bill?

Thank you and congratulations on your very successful 2018 election campaign!"

Last Edited:
I like how the summary is, "Requires person to secure permit before purchasing or otherwise receiving firearm". What a bunch of BS.

I wrote a letter to my State Senator and State Rep, and I donated to the OFF PAC, and I voted R down the line last fall. Is there anything else we can do at this point?
I would try emailing Sen. Thatcher and or Sen. Linthicum and ask them if they have any advice on how you/we can help. Both Senators are on the judiciary committee. Sen Thatcher is Vice-chair of the committee.

[email protected]

[email protected]

I would lie to add Sen Bentz's name to this list of judiciary committee members that might be worth emailing:

[email protected]

Last Edited:
To add fuel to the fire!!!! SB501 was concocted by KIDS!!!!!!! It was an exercise with Kate Brown, and "Students for a Change", in Lake Oswego. It was put forth by Rep Andrea Salinas, of Lake Oswego, and Rob Wagner, of Tualatin. They are putting KIDS to legislate in the matters of Life and Death. We need to show up Tuesday, and show OUTRAGE!! Maybe we should bring rails, tar and feathers and pitchforks and run these sleazy bastards out in the old fashioned tradition!!!

These MORONS are elevating, non elected, non eligible minors to influence anti constitutional legislation. If this doesn't get you keyboard warriors off your bubblegum, nothing will!!!!!!!!

To add fuel to the fire!!!! SB501 was concocted by KIDS!!!!!!! It was an exercise with Kate Brown, and "Students for a Change", in Lake Oswego. It was put forth by Rep Andrea Salinas, of Lake Oswego, and Rob Wagner, of Tualatin. They are putting KIDS to legislate in the matters of Life and Death. We need to show up Tuesday, and show OUTRAGE!! Maybe we should bring rails, tar and feathers and pitchforks and run these sleazy bastards out in the old fashioned tradition!!!

These MORONS are elevating, non elected, non eligible minors to influence anti constitutional legislation. If this doesn't get you keyboard warriors off your bubblegum, nothing will!!!!!!!!

I have some experience "fighting city hall" in another context. Here is what I observed:

1: Most politicians care the most about their re-election, therefore, the most voices will sway them
2: When you email or write or call, you should state some good reasons why they should vote your way
3: Your good reason(s) should be solid logic that can't easily be shot down
4: Never embarrass your team. Never threaten violence. Never be one of "those" people they use as justfication for confiscating your means of defense.
5: You and everyone you know should flood their phones, emails and snail-mail with communications
6: When they see which way the crowd is pushing them, they will use some of those "good reasons" to justify voting your way.

In summary: They must see a hurricane of polite but firm emails, phone calls and letter. The hurricane must contain lots of justification for voting YOUR WAY.

Get everyone you know to participate. Help your 90-year old grandmother.

Are you Jewish? African American? LGBT? Any member of any group has at one time or another in the last century been persecuted. Tell them how guns even the odds between bigots and their intended victims.

Find any reason. Then hammer them. It is the flood of mail that makes them decide. It is the quality of the mail that gives them justification to change position.

I will post some useful content. Please use it freely as your positions to press for this madness to stop. They have to quit blaming honest gun owners for the crimes of others they actually protect. Here is just one example:
This madness stems from one Niklaus Cruz killing a bunch of high school kids. Cruz was well known to the local police and sheriffs. They had been out to his house over 40 times. He was even well known to the high school kids. After his killing spree, he "escaped" with the other kids. One of them said to him that he was afraid it would be him who was the shooter.
But the Sheriff there was a "true believer" politician. He did not arrest Cruz. He diverted Cruz to "counseling". It was part of the federally funded PROMISE program to try to keep teens out of the prison pipeline. So he was never arrested, and thus he passed the background check.
Then of course we all know the cops were outside, not inside trying to help, until it was all over. Then the county sheriff ran to CNN cameras to blame the NRA.
Now it is all over. The cops were enablers. Politicians want to look tough on crime by punishing the innocent for the crimes of others. Party politics.

You have to get everyone you know to melt down their phones and emails to let them know they are waking up a sleeping giant.

MYTH: The violence today is because guns are so easy to get.

TRUTH: Until 1968, you could buy modern guns and pistols by mail. It was the gun control act of 1968 that changed that. Even after than, teens kept their hunting rifles and other guns in school lockers when they went hunting before school, or to a competition after school. Yet they did not have the kinds of mass shootings and school violence they have today. We have problems, but availability of guns isn't why. It is the change in what "angry young men" are willing to do.

Murder is already illegal. Gun laws wont deter someone who isnt' deterred by murder laws. They only deter honest people from their own self-defense.

If gun laws stopped gun killings, why are places with Chicago, Baltimore, DC, California and Mexico with strict laws not safe places to go? You say it is because the adjacent places like Indiana, Arizona and Texas have lax gun laws? Then why are those places not worse? Those places have less gun crime.

MYTH: The police can protect you. You don't need your own protection.
TRUTH: When seconds count, the cops are minutes away. They write great reports, and sometimes catch the killer, but too late to do you any good.

Do you remember the Christmas-tree vendor who was beaten with a bat in Aloha in 1997? It happened on a major road with dozens of people in the area. The victims phoned 911 twice while being assaulted by 18 youths, but the operator didn't believe them and refused to send the police. Ten minutes later, the young man was struck in the head with a bat and permanently disabled. His uncle had to beg a passerby to phone 911 from their phone for an ambulance. When it came to the trial, the attacker's attorney managed to convince a jury that 18 people attacking 4 people was really self-defense, and the attacker is free while his victim is disabled for life.

Are you a baby-boomer? Are you still able to run faster than a group of teenagers, or fight off a mugger with your fists? What if it isn't just about your money? If you do not stop the anti-gun trend, the only gun-owners will be criminals and the police who show up too late to stop them. When seconds count, the police are only minutes away. Do you really want to ban your own ability to defend your family?

Most of the time, when a political class wants to harm "those people", whoever they are, they won't tie up soldiers and police. They will act as enablers and ignore attacks by local gangsters or hate groups. Weapons to defend against those types work very well, because the thugs aren't willing to trade their lives for the thrill of bullying innocents. In Bull Connor's Birmingham, Alabama, Condoleezza Rice' father formed a neighborhood watch program. The cops tried to interfere, but the Second Amendment won out.

MYTH: "Guns should be registered like cars"
Compliance only comes from law-abiding citizens. Confiscation then becomes easy, and the "logical next step" after the next gun crime is in the news. Great Britain banned guns after an incident in 1996. Politicians made themselves look tough on crime, by confiscating the registered guns. The law-abiding gun owners lost their ability to defend themselves against violence. But did confiscation improve things? The only people who lost their weapons were those who registered them. Gun crimes continued, and now they are banning knives in London, where their murder rate exceeds New York. Just like in Florida, the school shooting there was done by someone already known as a violent crackpot to the authorities, who did nothing.

It is too easy a step from registration to confiscation. Criminals won't register their guns. That would be self-incrimination, according to the Supreme Court (Haynes v. US, 390 US 85, 1968). And they won't be turning them in if the government decides to ban them. Gun registration will affect you, but not them.

PLEASE REUSE THIS STUFF.
Get everyone you know to flood the legislators' emails and melt their phone line. Noise wins.

This is a link to Oregon legislature's Senators
Senate SenatorsAll

This is a link to the Oregon House
House RepresentativesAll

They need to hear from you and everyone you know, and know you will vote them out. A Democrat supermajority is a recipe for the loss of your Second Amendment rights and being blamed for other peoples' crimes. A flood of voters opposing their oppressive agenda is the only thing they care about.

MYTH: "A handgun in a home is 43 times more likely to kill one of the residents than a criminal."

This is a bogus statistic from an MD named Arthur Kellerman back in the 90's. If you remove the suicides from his sampling, his statistic is now "6 times more likely". Most of his remaining "victims" were multiple criminals living together, where one shot the other in a fight. He lets you assume they were normal families just like yours, by counting gun-death statistics for criminal households together with those of traditional families. (Polsby and Brennen, "Taking Aim At Gun Control" 1995). He has repeatedly refused the opportunity to debate speakers on the other side of the issue.

I have some experience "fighting city hall" in another context. Here is what I observed:

1: Most politicians care the most about their re-election, therefore, the most voices will sway them
2: When you email or write or call, you should state some good reasons why they should vote your way
4: Never embarrass your team. Never threaten violence. Never be one of "those" people they use as justfication for confiscating your means of defense.
5: You and everyone you know should flood their phones, emails and snail-mail with communications
6: When they see which way the crowd is pushing them, they will use some of those "good reasons" to justify voting your way.

In summary: They must see a hurricane of polite but firm emails, phone calls and letter. The hurricane must contain lots of justification for voting YOUR WAY.

Are you Jewish? African American? LGBT? Any member of any group has at one time or another in the last century been persecuted. Tell them how guns even the odds between bigots and their intended victims.

Find any reason. Then hammer them. It is the flood of mail that makes them decide. It is the quality of the mail that gives them justification to change position.
Good advice. If you want a Democrat Sen or Rep to vote no on "gun safety" legislation, then give them a reason the constituency that put them in office will accept.

I would add one more:

Tell a story about how it will negatively affect you. Politicians are people, and are in this position partially because they like to see themselves as the white-knight. What can they do to save you, or make you feel safe?

For me? Don't pass laws based on fear and stereotypes by people who don't understand me. I don't want to worry about my family and myself going to jail and sitting next to drug dealers and rapists for doing something hundreds of thousands of Oregonians have been doing safely and responsibly for decades.

EC9BDCDA-6ADA-4487-A8B7-85ED2D760C67.jpeg

I will post some useful content. Please use it freely as your positions to press for this madness to stop. They have to quit blaming honest gun owners for the crimes of others they actually protect. Here is just one example:
This madness stems from one Niklaus Cruz killing a bunch of high school kids. ...

Another way to summarize:
The Parkland investigation panel released a 439 page report on the various failures at the federal/state/local levels going back years. Yet there has been very little interest in seeing what gaps in Oregon at the state/local/school level (or cooperating with the feds) may exist. Gaps that, if closed, could not only stop the next mass shooting years in advance, but help many other trouble youths and young-adults. It would be common sense to at lease read the report.

Instead we have laws being proposed based on fear by sections of the public that do not understand what the problem is. But instead focus on "the gun" by proposing laws that target the wrong group of people.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top